Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TYPHOON H - Manage Your Expectations

Reaction score
Thought I should post this since I see so many justifiable posts of complaints concerning the shipping delays. The longer we wait the more we want the Typhoon H, which could also lead to some disappointment if it does not measure up to what we expect. I checked, but I don't believe the Typhoon H has the ability to turn water into wine, cure male pattern baldness, or glaucoma, but it is a pretty cool craft regardless.

For me, I'm looking forward to the Typhoon H ... But, I come from the DJI world and my brain is used to DJI drone products & their features. So in managing my expectations, these are the 3 main things I've already convinced myself not to be disappointed about if they don't "WOW" me initially:

- Battery charge time and Battery charge indicator. I'm so used to the smart DJI batteries with their 4 led indicator on the back to let you know charge capacity... also on the slowest charge (when battery is at 20%), a DJI smart battery will charge up in just over an hour. We are told, from the manual, that we could be looking at 2 hours or more for the Yuneec batteries & there is no charge indicator on the battery. Is there a device that one can just clip onto the battery that gives you a quick readout of remaining power without having to put it into the Drone and start it up?

- Video/Camera image quality. There have been a few video quality comparison videos out or just straight video from the Typhoon H. In all the head to head comparisons the DJI image always looks a bit more detailed and not as washed out as that of the Typhoon H. In recent videos showing the Typhoon H image quality, it looks great, but again appears a bit washed out. For me, I can always fix any video issues in post so it shouldn't be a major problem... But I really was hoping the camera would be WOW compared to my existing Phantom 3 camera. In the video I attached, near the end, you can see the Typhoon H flying (around the 1:20 min mark) ... The Typhoon does look pretty sweet compared to a Phantom!

- Range/Interference. I really like the ST16 controller and all the many switches (much better than the DJI controller with next to no switches). It has already been noted that start up connection of the ST16 and Typhoon H is a bit slow, but that's not a major issue as long as it's not longer than a minute. I'm hoping that the line of sight signal range is solid and no major lag on the screen. I've always been a DJI LightBridge guy, and am used to a solid responsive signal. I had used a Phantom 3 Standard earlier this year and it is a similar WiFi connection as that of the Typhoon H. Signal was good and 850 meters was average range, but it was susceptible to interference, so I'm kinda expecting the same yet hoping for better with the Typhoon H. If not, then I know some tricks to improve the signal quality.

For all other Typhoon H features... they already look like a WOW, so I'm excited (love the panning camera). Videos from It will show up on my YouTube channel in the future.

Thought I should post this since I see so many justifiable posts of complaints concerning the shipping delays. The longer we wait the more we want the Typhoon H, which could also lead to some disappointment if it does not measure up to what we expect. I checked, but I don't believe the Typhoon H has the ability to turn water into wine, cure male pattern baldness, or glaucoma, but it is a pretty cool craft regardless.
<<snip>>
Hey CaptainDrone. Been following your posts over at RCG and appreciate your insight. Still waiting for my distributor to "give me some truth" here in Spain, but if I have to wait....I wait. Agree that the Typhoon H looks totally cool in flight!

<<snip>>
Hey CaptainDrone. Been following your posts over at RCG and appreciate your insight. Still waiting for my distributor to "give me some truth" here in Spain, but if I have to wait....I wait. Agree that the Typhoon H looks totally cool in flight!
Yeah, I'm excited. I've Still received no word from my dealer for shipping to Canada.

Capt,I must commend you for the most in depth pre-release H review this past year.you have done basically most of my homework on the H,period.Looking forward to your in flight assecesments and more.

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
Being a 3 year veteran of Arducopter, this will be quite a change, some for the better.
1) Integrated GCS with monitor
2) 360 degree camera
3) Wizard
4) Portable, compact (after getting backpack)
5) nice video/pictures out of the box; no major fiddling.....hopefully

RTF

I have other copters to do the other stuff the H can't. This will be a dedicated LOS video platform. I really need it by Memorial Weekend for our trip, but life won't stop if not. Also, my daughter will be doing her Senior pictures on the shores of Lake Huron with her horse and I want to use the H for that. The horse will swim in water and I'd like it to be a sort of "Black Stallion" moment (my wishes). I'm looking forward to filming that from above. The exact site hasn't been chosen, but that's the plan.

I thought they would be like Q batteries that require just a balance pigtail to use with our hobby grade chargers.

From what I've seen, the H batteries are hard shell 4S, with proprietary sockets for slide in connection. No pigtails, no connection for other chargers.

If that is a fact there will be many unhappy people until pigtails are available for aftermarket balance chargers.

I really agree if I have to use the stock charger.... When not in use you need to discharge and put a storage charge on a LIPO. Don't see that anywhere on the "H" charger.

Once I get my hands on a battery I will fab up a balancing plug/adapter....But that depends on how they made the battery.... If the balancing electronics are inside the battery that will make it harder......

Being able to charge with at least 1C would be nice, but I guess they prefer a slower charge. One thing about a hard shell though, it's very difficult to see if you puff the pack. Had that happen with a few of my car batteries. Went back to regular packs and avoided the hard shell ones. Though, cars are MUCH more abusive to the battery than the H would be.

Being able to charge with at least 1C would be nice, but I guess they prefer a slower charge. One thing about a hard shell though, it's very difficult to see if you puff the pack. Had that happen with a few of my car batteries. Went back to regular packs and avoided the hard shell ones. Though, cars are MUCH more abusive to the battery than the H would be.
Q500 has 3s balance and ec3 connections. It is hard to identify the H battery by the angle of the pics I have seen. Oh well, it is only temporary. Once they are sent out someone will make aftermarket leads if the sockets are not standard.

From what I've seen, the H batteries are hard shell 4S, with proprietary sockets for slide in connection. No pigtails, no connection for other chargers.
See my post over at RCG for a closeup of this battery. The front connectors are completely non- conventional and proprietary. I know I sound like a broken record across multiple forums, but I sure hope Yuneec will offer us an adapter so those of us with high end, kick *** chargers can indeed use them.:(

RC Groups - View Single Post - Yuneec Typhoon H

Reactions: Steve Carr
See my post over at RCG for a closeup of this battery. The front connectors are completely non- conventional and proprietary. I know I sound like a broken record across multiple forums, but I sure hope Yuneec will offer us an adapter so those of us with high end, kick *** chargers can indeed use them.:(

RC Groups - View Single Post - Yuneec Typhoon H
If Yuneec won't you know some kid will be posting a how to on YouTube in no time,I'm impressed with today's young innovative minds in the drone field

Being a 3 year veteran of Arducopter, this will be quite a change, some for the better.
1) Integrated GCS with monitor
2) 360 degree camera
3) Wizard
4) Portable, compact (after getting backpack)
5) nice video/pictures out of the box; no major fiddling.....hopefully

RTF

I have other copters to do the other stuff the H can't. This will be a dedicated LOS video platform. I really need it by Memorial Weekend for our trip, but life won't stop if not. Also, my daughter will be doing her Senior pictures on the shores of Lake Huron with her horse and I want to use the H for that. The horse will swim in water and I'd like it to be a sort of "Black Stallion" moment (my wishes). I'm looking forward to filming that from above. The exact site hasn't been chosen, but that's the plan.
That sounds cool, I do hope you and all get it well before Memorial Day !

For me, I'm looking forward to the Typhoon H ... But, I come from the DJI world and my brain is used to DJI drone products & their features. So in managing my expectations, these are the 3 main things I've already convinced myself not to be disappointed about if they don't "WOW" me initially:

- Battery charge time and Battery charge indicator. I'm so used to the smart DJI batteries with their 4 led indicator on the back to let you know charge capacity... also on the slowest charge (when battery is at 20%), a DJI smart battery will charge up in just over an hour. We are told, from the manual, that we could be looking at 2 hours or more for the Yuneec batteries & there is no charge indicator on the battery. Is there a device that one can just clip onto the battery that gives you a quick readout of remaining power without having to put it into the Drone and start it up?

- Video/Camera image quality. There have been a few video quality comparison videos out or just straight video from the Typhoon H. In all the head to head comparisons the DJI image always looks a bit more detailed and not as washed out as that of the Typhoon H. In recent videos showing the Typhoon H image quality, it looks great, but again appears a bit washed out. For me, I can always fix any video issues in post so it shouldn't be a major problem... But I really was hoping the camera would be WOW compared to my existing Phantom 3 camera. In the video I attached, near the end, you can see the Typhoon H flying (around the 1:20 min mark) ... The Typhoon does look pretty sweet compared to a Phantom!

- Range/Interference. I really like the ST16 controller and all the many switches (much better than the DJI controller with next to no switches). It has already been noted that start up connection of the ST16 and Typhoon H is a bit slow, but that's not a major issue as long as it's not longer than a minute. I'm hoping that the line of sight signal range is solid and no major lag on the screen. I've always been a DJI LightBridge guy, and am used to a solid responsive signal. I had used a Phantom 3 Standard earlier this year and it is a similar WiFi connection as that of the Typhoon H. Signal was good and 850 meters was average range, but it was susceptible to interference, so I'm kinda expecting the same yet hoping for better with the Typhoon H. If not, then I know some tricks to improve the signal quality.

For all other Typhoon H features... they already look like a WOW, so I'm excited (love the panning camera). Videos from It will show up on my YouTube channel in the future.

As far as the video quality, we really don't know what the actual footage will look like with different settings. I suspect this video was taken with the defaults. Making a few adjustments makes a huge difference in the quality. Yuneec has stated this camera has been redesigned to be much better with a new lens, processor and sensor. The video lag is also supposed to be reduced and the range increased to around 1700 meters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval