Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H - Opening firmware update in .BIN file format

Reaction score
I'm have a lot to learn. I'm sure there are others out there that have asked this question but I haven't found them yet. I apologize.

I have 2 Typhoon H for business purposes and 1 still has Firmware V1.15 and I'm trying to update it to V3.01 which downloads as a .BIN file on my windows 7, 64 bit pc and I need some advice as to what program I should or should not use to complete this mission before I extract all of my remaining hair (2). I've downloaded 2 programs (Alcohol & Anyburn) onto my pc because they boast of being able to do it - but not when I try it. I'm hoping for someone's reply that can save an old man. Thank you in advance.

I'm have a lot to learn. I'm sure there are others out there that have asked this question but I haven't found them yet. I apologize.

I have 2 Typhoon H for business purposes and 1 still has Firmware V1.15 and I'm trying to update it to V3.01 which downloads as a .BIN file on my windows 7, 64 bit pc and I need some advice as to what program I should or should not use to complete this mission before I extract all of my remaining hair (2). I've downloaded 2 programs (Alcohol & Anyburn) onto my pc because they boast of being able to do it - but not when I try it. I'm hoping for someone's reply that can save an old man. Thank you in advance.

Your problem is not, lol.

The St16 and the Drone (camera) will unpack automatically and then update. Just copy the the 2 update files onto your micro-card and follow Yuneec's upgrade instructions. After upgrade you will rebind the camera and craft to the ST16. Go slow, make sure you understand something before you do it.

Your problem is not, lol.

The St16 and the Drone (camera) will unpack automatically and then update. Just copy the the 2 update files onto your micro-card and follow Yuneec's upgrade instructions. After upgrade you will rebind the camera and craft to the ST16. Go slow, make sure you understand something before you do it.
OK, thank you very much. 1 more question as I look at my system. I see 2 micro sd slots I could use. ! in the camera and 1 in the front of the ST16. Does it matter which 1 I use? Thank you thank you you're the best.
In the mean time I've been comparing both Hs & ST16 and noticed that they are all up to date as far as I can tell regarding firm/software etc EXCEPT that one of them only updates the auto pilot to V1.15 on Yuneec online, yet the other H is at V1.30. Any thoughts?

Copy the Drone (Camera) firmware to the micro SD card going in the camera. Copy the ST16 firmware to the micro SD card going in the ST16. I usually make sure the cards are clean first (no files) just save what's on the cards to a folder on your PC if you want to keep them.

Make sure only one of the firmware(s) is on the micro SD card at a time and don't rename them.

Well, I thank you all. Now it's beginning to make some sense. I couldn't imagine why a company would use a file type that required pilots to unpack it etc. I have everything I need which includes something to do this evening. I thank you all for your assistance. It's so reassuring to know there are smart pilots out there that are willing to help others who are still learning. I thank you all.

Also you may want to use Chrome as your browser when downloading the files.

Droneman again
Well Gentlemen, I'm back - with bad news. I THINK I followed all of your directions to the letter and still nothing. Keep in mind the only update I need to complete is the Auto pilot from v 1.15 to 1.30. All others are "current". Here's the process I used step by step:
1. Using chrome and a clean & empty micro sd card downloaded the update from Yuneec to my download folder and then cut and pasted it to my sd card.
2. Outside where I knew I'd have a solid WIFI signal Turned on my ST16, Inserted my sd card into camera slot on the H, and then turned on my "H" and waited until I could see a camera image and all criteria for flight had occurred.
3. went back to my ST16, switched from flight mode to systems update view where I selected the update for Typhoon H. Watched the circles etc and within about 2 - 3 minutes they stopped and a error message appeared that indicated ERROR: Camera response timed out. Please try again - which I've done 3 more times. I went back inside and double checked that the file was there and that there were no other files on the card -- but as I checked it - apparently when I load the sd card into the camera and fire it up The H loads 3 folders onto the card that are used to store the new images. I've checked it 2 more times and it happened every time. I even tried powering up the ST and taking it to the "Update screen" before turning on the H but that was a complete failure.
I'm hoping that as you read my process above you'll find something I'm doing that's not correct.
I can't that you enough. This is really frustrating. It's supposed to be an easy process.

Droneman again
Well Gentlemen, I'm back - with bad news. I THINK I followed all of your directions to the letter and still nothing. Keep in mind the only update I need to complete is the Auto pilot from v 1.15 to 1.30. All others are "current". Here's the process I used step by step:
1. Using chrome and a clean & empty micro sd card downloaded the update from Yuneec to my download folder and then cut and pasted it to my sd card.
2. Outside where I knew I'd have a solid WIFI signal Turned on my ST16, Inserted my sd card into camera slot on the H, and then turned on my "H" and waited until I could see a camera image and all criteria for flight had occurred.
3. went back to my ST16, switched from flight mode to systems update view where I selected the update for Typhoon H. Watched the circles etc and within about 2 - 3 minutes they stopped and a error message appeared that indicated ERROR: Camera response timed out. Please try again - which I've done 3 more times. I went back inside and double checked that the file was there and that there were no other files on the card -- but as I checked it - apparently when I load the sd card into the camera and fire it up The H loads 3 folders onto the card that are used to store the new images. I've checked it 2 more times and it happened every time. I even tried powering up the ST and taking it to the "Update screen" before turning on the H but that was a complete failure.
I'm hoping that as you read my process above you'll find something I'm doing that's not correct.
I can't that you enough. This is really frustrating. It's supposed to be an easy process.

Let me take another approach in trying to resolve my firmware timing out problem.

The manual states in step # 1; Download (and unpack) the Firmware the copy it onto the micro sd card. I've not been unpacking it that I know of. Today I tried to "unpack" it and don't seem to have a program that does that. That could be my problem. Don't know what unpacking it means ( probably Unzip it) and don't know what program you use to do so. Maybe with that information I can get it done. All replies here will be appreciated. I'm going nutzzzz Thank you very much.

I'm very sorry for all the posts regarding this issue. I'm still learning and actually solved the problem unexpectedly. You must have just read my previous file so it's about 1/2 hr. later and I figured it out. Here a great answer for anyone who is struggling with the same problem.
  • I downloaded a free "BIN file unpacking software onto my pc and unpacked the firmware file i downloaded from Yuneec onto a blank micro sd card.
  • Went to my garage where I park my twin "H"s and inserted the sd card into my camera sd slot.
  • Turned on my ST 16 and then my H, waited for them to connect, checked to see that I had met flight criteria etc.
  • switched to Systems and then to about my controller and hit the update tab.
  • Saw a message on my ST16 that said there was no firmware data on my cameras SD card, connect to the internet to get the latest update. Up popped a connect to internet message, tapped it and up came my house WIFI network, tapped it and about 5 seconds later it was downloading the latest files from Yuneec.
  • It finished and said restart your system. I did and like magic everything on my H was updated.
  • I then put the sd card into my ST16 slot, hit update, it searched and came back and said all my data was the current version. No update needed - and that was the right answer. It is the latest version.
  • I flew a 8 minute test flight with my H and it flew perfectly. I'll do a complete test flight tomorrow to be sure.
  • All this crap I've been doing or trying to do and it really took about 15 minutes using my ST16 and my H. Amazing. Again I thank everyone that helped get me down the road. It is an amazing road we travel. Frustrating sometimes but still amazing.

Points for those having problems.

Take the card, the 16g card that came with the H, and format it to assure it's clear of data.

The WiFi signal is generated at the camera. No need to go outside unless someone is running a microwave oven in the house.

Dump the files you downloaded from Yuneec snd down load them again.

Only place one file at a time on the card, clearing the card of all files when switching from -16 to aircraft updates.

Do the aircraft first by inserting the card in the camera with the correct file.

Clear the card and load the -16 file, insert card in the -16. You may have to "mount" the card in the tablet settings.

Both the -16 and the camera add files to a card when they see one. That's normal and part of the Yuneec auto formatting process.

Install the card in each device BEFORE turning anything on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Droneman
Hi, Can I add my tuppence worth to the 'ERROR Camera not processing' Firmware failure debate? (although a year later it hasn't gone away).
I tried EVERYTHING suggested above and on YouTube/Yuneec videos/other sites and just couldn't get the firmware loaded. It failed every time.
I even tried a straight WiFi download using my 5g PC connection as advised above without success.
Being new to all this Drone stuff and R.Controlling anything, I followed all the advice carefully although not too bad with PC Firmware, this stumped me.

I started with the original 16Gb card that works on the 'H' recording and operating fine with the only flight I've had with any drone, so I knew the formatting on the card was right.
I wiped the card clean and started the rigmarole of different file strategies as suggested.

ALL advised to update the aircraft first.
On the wiped clean card placed in the camera I added the following files
Just the unzipped file allowing the system to unpack ~ failed.
Unzipped the file with 7-Zip placing the 2 files in the Zip on the card unpacked. ~ failed
Added the ST-16 update firmware files for luck. ~ failed
In fact these are the files that ended up on the card out of desperation ~
all installed by card when inserted by default
DCIM
event
firmware
LOST.DIR
MISC

I added in turn
TyphoonH_Ver3.04_E ZIP
this folder unzipped
this file unpacked had 2 files inside = FILE_MD5 plus files.zzz
wireless.config (don't know where I got that from)
and SD16_V3.1.30.yuneec for luck

after all that, the same ERROR report.
The simple answer was update the ST16 FIRST???
Nothing on line suggested this.
The controller updated smoothly with the above card in the SD controller slot, everything plus Android.
I then plonked the same card back in the camera and the Firmware went on without a murmur!!
I can't say I sat there without a murmur.

Sorry this is a bit long these are the steps that sorted me out so might help anyone still struggling?
As an aside, I put in a Samsung 128Gb Micro in the camera and it sees it fine recording 119Gb free so hopefully it will record with no probs.

Regards all and don't flame me if this wastes even more time.
We live
We learn.

There are a number of excellent videos on YouTube that cover firmware updates on the TH480. This is one of my favorites.

Hi, Thanks for the heads up Ron, Jeff's video was very clear, I hadn't found it before but came to the same conclusion fumbling around; Controller update first, 'H' second.
His instructions are great although his tee shirts might want to be toned down a tad...
Even though I like cats (I have two), I wouldn't go that far.

What threw me was that Yuneec's own instruction video shows to update the aircraft first before the controller, unlike what I found and Jeff's excellent video..
Regards.

Jeff does a much better job than Yuneec US in his series on learning to fly the Typhoon H.

I think the videos from Yuneec UK and Yuneec EU are better too.

Thanks for that OnTheRopes, (are you?). Another really clear instruction also pointing out some of the new features
Unlike the China Yuneec version he also updates the ST-16 first.
I have to say though that as a Brit., doesn't it grate on the nerves when he pronounces H as 'haich'?
I suppose talking about a Typhoon H means he has to say it a lot.
Oddly, spoken H should be a silent H as in 'aich'.
The BBC highlights it here in the last clip
Daniel should know this as I believe Yuneec in Britain is in Barnet, Herts.?
I know how they speak in Barnet as that's where I moved from a decade ago.

I have to say, the latest firmware upgrade is well worth the effort.
3D without special glasses is a step above, although you have to be careful not to get poked in the eye...

Attachments

• DSCF8063Web-Med.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 12

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots