Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Prop Guards

I bought this at the UK drone show autumn (fall) last year.
It is lightweight, makes no difference to performance and is excellent if you have to manoeuvre in tight spots, building surveys etc.
The clever thing is that it is rigid directly adjacent to the propellor where the support is but the rest is flexible, if you bump a wall it literally bounces off, same thing if you tip on landing.
Practically invisible as well once your more than a few metres away.
I would recommend it highly, only downside is its a bit of a time consumer to assemble.

Go get it...

I'll tell you Ray!, Was a bird(Sparrow, Hawk,Eagle etc.) born to fly indoors? No! Neither was your H. Your H was born to be freee! and smell the warm caressing breeze of flight, with the sun caressing it's back as it soars through the wild blue yonder!:rolleyes:
its a thin line between where you are and insanity my friend ;-)

I bought this at the UK drone show autumn (fall) last year.

You have my interest but you still didn't post a link yet or picture yet. So I don't know what to 'go get'.
Thanks!

This is the item, on official Yuneec video.
I bought face to face at a show so you will have to find it on-line yourselves I am afraid.

On calm evenings I tested T/Os without GPS and flew with OBS (RS+IPS) on over short cut grass. It works fine although I found a nice AI flaw: while RS is able to draw a 3D map of its surrounding, it seems to have problems in re-sensing meanwhile vanished obstacles. It senses phantom obstacles so to say, which stopped existing... (this only applies when GPS on)
Besides that, the endless 360° gimbal (switch set to global) flown in Angle Mode with the YTH always flown with senors ahead is working as it should. A great feature. Although I still have to fly it indoors. Especially the tendency to avoid obstacles by overflying them could be problematic with low ceiling hights...
EDIT: I just re-tested RS with GPS off and noticed that RS does not work without GPS. As GPS always turns itself on again after the YTH is restarted I might not have noticed this during no wind conditions or something has changed? Do the original Sensors (ultra sonic) work without GPS?
Now that is confusing because flying indoors with an unstable GPS signal being necessary for using OBS (ultra sonic or real sense) simply makes no sense. On the other hand RS might require GPS data for its 3D map model memory...
EDIT2: thinking about using smart mode with OBS indoors is the same dilemma. No GPS, no smart mode, no OBS with sensors automatically facing forward! Will IPS work when RS off due to no GPS data?

You need to turn off GPS when indoors. Real Sense then switches to what is called IPS. Indoor Positioning System.

Please provide a link to the prop guards you are referring to?

They are probably the same ones I was referring to available on eBay, Amazon, and Internet hobby shops when I said "Both choices that I know about and referenced in the thread were poor in my opinion but the aftermarket guards . . ." in this post and my original post (that was deleted by a moderator because 'this is an old thread'. . .).

If the same (or other) moderator stays true to form - this post of mine, your reply, and my previous post directly before yours will be deleted because . . . 'this is an [7 month] old thread . . .'

My original post hasn't been restored, nor this thread closed, nor have I seen an apology from the the moderator that deleted my post. Obviously if a thread was active and receiving replies and comments - it was no longer 'old' - it was current.

I guess deleting new comments and claiming the thread is old vs active is a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts . .

power corrupts LOL

color me 'still disappointed'

6pc YUNEEC Typhoon H H480 RC Drone Propeller Guards Quick Release Protector Ring | eBay

That's what I have.

I have those. They are sold under a few different names.

While they are sturdy - more so than the ones from Yuneec they do have several negatives. They completely cover the LED lights under the motors, they greatly restrict the air flow from the motors (very bad), and they are a PITA to remove when you want to pack up and go home. The first 2 things can be corrected by opening up the part under the motors with a Dremmel tool but they will always be a PITA to remove from the H.

I went into a bit more detail in my post that was deleted by the moderator.

The ones from Yuneec look very flimsy as others have implied but I would really like to see a video of an H outfitted with those bumping into things. Being that I doubt anyone wants to risk their H I think that Yuneec should make the demo video to show the quality of the guards. But I find that most of the Yuneec instructional videos are lacking.

These are cheap knock offs, not Yuneec at all and look pretty heavy.
Also in the event of say 'touching' a tree branches can enter the gaps between the guards and trap the drone so you have a wreck anyway caused by the guard!

I wouldn't call them cheap knockoffs because they are a totally different design than Yuneec's so they're not a knock off; they are another design from an after market manufacturer. However they are slightly cheaper in cost but I think that you were referring to quality. That is what I am trying to find out by anyone with hands on experience either/any H prop guards available (2 I know of but there may be more).

I think the weight is insignificant for the after-market ones because they simply don't weigh that much and don't seem to have a negative affect on my H when I used them. Whether their weight limits the speed of the H doesn't matter to me because I don't race drones - though I may get into drone racing. However I would definitely buy a different drone for racing.

If you look you can see that the Yuneec prop guards are way more likely to snag in tree branches because they leave a lot more enclosed open area for branches to fit and snag especially with the cable totally encircling the H props. The design of the Yuneec appears to be flimsier however I think they are made of carbon fiber so they should be a lot stronger than they look.

The Yuneec guards do allow a lot more air flow from the props which would lessen any control issues that may be introduced by the bulkier alternative guards. So I guess I would add air flow restriction to the list of negatives of the after-market guards. Having said that I can still easily control my H with the after market guards but I don't do anything fancy.

I originally bought the prop guards because on several occasions both of my TH drones have had a power surge pulling my H off to the side causing it to basically crash and tip over while I was holding the red kill button and left stick down on landing. I see in the forums that a few others have had this same experience and being that my telemetry log shows that I had the sticks positioned as I thought it is an issue. This happened about 3-4 times over a total of about of 60 flights of both my Hs combined. However the first time this happened was because a motor failed right before landing and my H went into a snow bank rather than the landing pad. Yuneec repaired it under warranty but I was without that H for 2 months in the mean time.

I also will be using the prop guards for protection when practicing hand catching the H. While it is definitely not good practice to hand catch a multi-copter I may have to resort to a hand catch on occasion and I don't want to be learning how when possibly in that emergency situation. Prop guards of some protection against spinning props tearing through my flesh . . .

What I am attempting to find out in the forums are the advantages and disadvantages of any prop guards available for the H. Other than my limited experience (6 flights) with the after market prop guards I have nothing else to go on and the forums are the best place to get that information.

I would love to see someone post a demonstration of the Yuneec prop guards 'in action' vs. only installation. I feel that Yuneec should be doing this -it's their product after all. I won't hold my breath waiting for Yuneec to make such a video. I am certainly not going to do it with my H LOL.

I may be able to help, I have both. The third party individual prop guards would give some protection, but best left on as they are a pain to fit and remove. Also covers nav lights The Yuneec ring guard is easier to use, and I believe would give a high degree of protection, although not tested (and no intention to). I also can,t resist saying it looks cool ......or perhaps I should say professional and gives it even more presence.

I wouldn't call them cheap knockoffs because they are a totally different design than Yuneec's so they're not a knock off; they are another design from an after market manufacturer. However they are slightly cheaper in cost but I think that you were referring to quality. That is what I am trying to find out by anyone with hands on experience either/any H prop guards available (2 I know of but there may be more).

I think the weight is insignificant for the after-market ones because they simply don't weigh that much and don't seem to have a negative affect on my H when I used them. Whether their weight limits the speed of the H doesn't matter to me because I don't race drones - though I may get into drone racing. However I would definitely buy a different drone for racing.

If you look you can see that the Yuneec prop guards are way more likely to snag in tree branches because they leave a lot more enclosed open area for branches to fit and snag especially with the cable totally encircling the H props. The design of the Yuneec appears to be flimsier however I think they are made of carbon fiber so they should be a lot stronger than they look.

The Yuneec guards do allow a lot more air flow from the props which would lessen any control issues that may be introduced by the bulkier alternative guards. So I guess I would add air flow restriction to the list of negatives of the after-market guards. Having said that I can still easily control my H with the after market guards but I don't do anything fancy.

I originally bought the prop guards because on several occasions both of my TH drones have had a power surge pulling my H off to the side causing it to basically crash and tip over while I was holding the red kill button and left stick down on landing. I see in the forums that a few others have had this same experience and being that my telemetry log shows that I had the sticks positioned as I thought it is an issue. This happened about 3-4 times over a total of about of 60 flights of both my Hs combined. However the first time this happened was because a motor failed right before landing and my H went into a snow bank rather than the landing pad. Yuneec repaired it under warranty but I was without that H for 2 months in the mean time.

I also will be using the prop guards for protection when practicing hand catching the H. While it is definitely not good practice to hand catch a multi-copter I may have to resort to a hand catch on occasion and I don't want to be learning how when possibly in that emergency situation. Prop guards of some protection against spinning props tearing through my flesh . . .

What I am attempting to find out in the forums are the advantages and disadvantages of any prop guards available for the H. Other than my limited experience (6 flights) with the after market prop guards I have nothing else to go on and the forums are the best place to get that information.

I would love to see someone post a demonstration of the Yuneec prop guards 'in action' vs. only installation. I feel that Yuneec should be doing this -it's their product after all. I won't hold my breath waiting for Yuneec to make such a video. I am certainly not going to do it with my H LOL.
Hey DB1,

Weight increase of any amount is always an issue, you may not see it but it does I am sure you will agree add more load to batteries, motors, ESC etc and will make a difference to flight time.
Like you I am not a speed racer or anything like that but I do like good flight time to set WB and exposure correctly etc.
I would disagree with the comments regarding snagging, the yuneec guards would need an altitude increase/decrease to snag as opposed to snagging as soon as it touches the tree., I cannot comment on their material construction I am afraid.

You seem to have been very unlucky with the power surges. I sometimes get a 'jump' when landing but following advice from the forum I have discovered it is caused by either landing on an uneven surface, the H tips as it lands and tries to recover or landing on a 'blank' surface with no features! Interesting..

With regards to catching I would not rely on prop guards for that, just pop down your local DIY supply store and buy a pair of good quality construction glove's If it does hit your fingers you will hardly feel a thing.
I personally think that people tend to over rate the ability of the props to cause physical damage, there are videos on youtube of large birds of prey being used to take down drones, they just pile in and 'KILL' it with no injuries!

I don't think anyone is going to post any videos of intentional testing, I certainly am not.

Happy flying and I hope you reach a satisfactory conclusion to your quest

:)

Mark

Reactions: DB1
You need to turn off GPS when indoors. Real Sense then switches to what is called IPS. Indoor Positioning System.
O.K. Thanks for the info.
But IIRC you will need to have at least some indoor GPS reception though, because otherwise you won't be able to start the motors due to NFZ restrictions?
So with GPS mode "Disabled" but sats="0" (no coordinates displayed), it won't be possible to take off indoors. Maybe it is possible to take off close to a window and than fly to the inner side of the building losing all sats but keep flying? But depending on the complex structure (e.g. no windows, electromagnetic shielding) you might be definitely grounded...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss