Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H refusing to throttle down and land

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your explanation Captaindrone, there is not that level of communication between the two when in a normal flight mode its just throttle down, yaw etc rather than in a flight mode like watch me or orbit, or cable cam whereas either the ST-16 or H is checking location against a predefined plan.

It doesn't for example say

ST-16 to H - throttle down
ST-16 to H - did you get lower?
H to ST-16 - no still at 10 feet
ST-16 to H - well throttle down I asked you to throttle down
H to ST-16 - ok ok keep your shirt on, I am now at 8 feet

Now if the compass is off it'll spirl looking for north.

If the barometer is off it may think, "wait I am descending and not receiving stick input so I am getting blown down by an external force, I best throttle up".

or the accelerometer may be saying, "hang on it feels like I am descending but I am not receiving stick input I best thottle up".

I guess the throttle may be stuck up but then it would take off and climb when in normal flight.

Its an odd one, what does the telemetry logs say?

To be honest, I do not 100% know how detailed the two way communication is between the ST16 and H. Most drones are only designed to react to commands. The drone itself then figures out how best to react with it's onboard multitude of sensors. However, the fact that reports are being received of users flicking switches, using stick input and the Typhoon is not responding tells me the issue is with the ST16 at this point.

Disclaimer: I'm only hypothesizing here due to the reports posted. Please, no one take my comments as a fact. Your Typhoon's are fine.

To be honest, I do not 100% know how detailed the two way communication is between the ST16 and H. Most drones are only designed to react to commands. The drone itself then figures out how best to react with it's onboard multitude of sensors. However, the fact that reports are being received of users flicking switches, using stick input and the Typhoon is not responding tells me the issue is with the ST16 at this point.

Disclaimer: I'm only hypothesizing here due to the reports posted. Please, no one take my comments as a fact. Your Typhoon's are fine.
At this point in time all they can do is make sure the ST16 is bound to the H and that they are not in the Mode to use another device i.e Wizard, another controller and do "all" the calibrations, If it still fails, unfortunately send it back !

sd, Have you done "all" the calibrations, imu/acc/comp ? to rule out any of them, at this point if you haven't it can't hurt to do them and maybe saving you a trip back to Yuneec

Mines fine fortunately, weeks of flights without issues apart from not really being impressed with the camera colour grading.

p.s. haven't calibrated a thing, went with general advice that Yuneecs don't need it and it seems to be true.

You guys while we are grasping at straws, how bout the TH has just been put out from one environment to the outside. Maybe the imu or accelerometer is acting up. Maybe you need to acclimate it for say 30 minutes. Hey anything can happen.

Most systems I've used, when left undisturbed in a hover, will slowly descend when the battery level no longer retains enough power to sustain a fixed altitude hover. Left alone they will descend slowly until on the ground. Something to think about.

If encountering this "won't land" land issue in Angle mode, perhaps moving the aircraft away far enough to employ the Smart Mode and RTH feature might be tried to allow the H to self land as battery voltage drops. Check to assure the obstacle avoidance switch is not activated as well.

I just had the same issue (kinda). Just flew the maiden "Check In' flight. Calibrated the compass successfully and calibrated the accelerometer on a flat surface.

Weather: Sunny, 85 degrees, no wind.

Triple checked that I was in angle mode, OBS avoidance was off, rabbit mode, full battery, 20 SATS on H and 18 SATS on controller. Started motors, lifted off no problems. Hovered about 15' moved left, right, forward backward, up and down. Checked landing gear up and down. So far, so good.

Landed after about 10 minutes. Took back off, no problems. Did this for about 20 minutes. Battery at 14.7v. Went to land again and about 6' from the ground decent just stopped. So I pulled the left stick all the way down and the H would BARELY descend and the motors accelerated rapidly in short burst a few times which made the H gain altitude.

Finally got it on the ground and stopped motors. Started back up again, went up about 6' and then back down. Same thing happened so I shut it down when I finally got it on the ground.

Something is definitely not right. I am going to re-calibrate everything again this afternoon and try again, with the same knot in my stomach that I have right now.

Although I don't have as much experience with drones that others have, one must understand that this issue occurred during VERY simple maneuvers, under very typical operational conditions and following the manufacturer's instruction and tips and warnings learned from the other pilots on this forum.

I would appreciate any suggestions and if anyone that has experienced a similar issue, has found a resolution (other than those that have already posted).

Thanks,
Blue skies and safe flying.

May I jump in here, guys (assuming everyone here is a guy)? All you folks that have seen this issue (or everyone here for that matter), with your ST16 powered on, touch System Settings and then go to Hardware Monitor. Manipulate the left stick (ie, throttle) all the way up and all the way down while watching J1 at the bottom. In the full down position, are you all seeing -100%? My suspicion here is that we not seeing full -gain in some cases when throttling down. I had this issue on my Taranis Tx but of course with that beast it was easy to solve.

The thing that bothers me here is that there is no way to calibrate sticks and switches like you can on the Taranis. If your stick is off even a fraction of a mm, you won't see either full throttle up or full throttle down. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that just looking at the graph here in Hardware Monitor will tell you the truth. But it's worth a look anyway.

When you do that check, then go into Channel Settings, make sure the J1 button on the top left is highlighted, and move the stick full down. Look at the graph in the bottom center. Is the Final Output Monitor reading 0%? Mine sometimes reads 0% and sometimes seems to "stick" at 1%.

IMHO herein lies our problem. folks.

Edit: We do have the ability to edit curves so this may be something we can easily solve.

Last edited:
May I jump in here, guys (assuming everyone here is a guy)? All you folks that have seen this issue (or everyone here for that matter), with your ST16 powered on, touch System Settings and then go to Hardware Monitor. Manipulate the left stick (ie, throttle) all the way up and all the way down while watching J1 at the bottom. In the full down position, are you all seeing -100%? My suspicion here is that we not seeing full -gain in some cases when throttling down. I had this issue on my Taranis Tx but of course with that beast it was easy to solve.

The thing that bothers me here is that there is no way to calibrate sticks and switches like you can on the Taranis. If your stick is off even a fraction of a mm, you won't see either full throttle up or full throttle down. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that just looking at the graph here in Hardware Monitor will tell you the truth. But it's worth a look anyway.

When you do that check, then go into Channel Settings, make sure the J1 button on the top left is highlighted, and move the stick full down. Look at the graph in the bottom center. Is the Final Output Monitor reading 0%? Mine sometimes reads 0% and sometimes seems to "stick" at 1%.

Edit: We do have the ability to edit curves so this may be something we can easily solve.

Thanks for the input John. I checked the hardware monitor as you suggested and it appears it is ok. Then I checked the channel settings and here is what I got on J1. Stick all the way up is 80% Down is 19%. Now, what that means, I have no idea.

The drone descended fine during the flight until the end when it started acting up.

Thanks for the input John. I checked the hardware monitor as you suggested and it appears it is ok. Then I checked the channel settings and here is what I got on J1. Stick all the way up is 80% Down is 19%. Now, what that means, I have no idea.

The drone descended fine during the flight until the end when it started acting up.
Ok, that's not good at all. Clearly, the gains are off 20%. Do you see what I mean? Not only can you NOT achieve full throttle (you only get 80/100), more importantly you are NOT able to throttle down to 0%. I'm going to explore the "curves adjust" settings on the ST16 and see if it's possible to fix this.

I invite anyone else to do the same.:)

john we don't have the ability to do anything in the channel system. I really don't know why they even put it in the line up. this channel system is all tie togeather you will be calling tech support soon after. I have used these RC for years and set my helis up also. I thought I would be able to work on these Mickey Mouse controller but I was calling Tech in two days. so work on it if you think you can

Reactions: BFD400

But curves don't alter end points. Something I don't like with Yuneec transmitters is the total inability to adjust trim values. The trims are disabled.

Ok, that's not good at all. Clearly, the gains are off 20%. Do you see what I mean? Not only can you NOT achieve full throttle (you only get 80/100), more importantly you are NOT able to throttle down to 0%. I'm going to explore the "curves adjust" settings on the ST16 and see if it's possible to fix this.

I invite anyone else to do the same.:)

Awesome! I see what you are talking about but I have no experience modifying the curves. So I'll leave that to those that are smarter than me with that. If you do find the solution, please let us know.

Maybe those on this thread can check the curves settings for J1 as you suggested and report their results to see if there are any differences?

Last edited:

I have those same values with the turtle/rabbit slider all the way on the turtle side; if I go to full rabbit my values for J1 are 0-100%.

@Dragonflyerthom and @PatR I hear you. I was hoping that since Yuneec "allows" us to go in and adjust curves, we might be able to change end points or at least do a reset. So far I see no way how to do it. I agree, the controller at least in this regard is Mickey Mouse. Clearly Yuneec did not see their target market as salty and crusty RC types likes us, but photographers who couldn't give a hoot about "gains" or "end points." :(:mad:

Last edited:
Did you try clicking on the "J1" button in curves. It allows you to edit them there. I think : )

I have those same values with the turtle/rabbit slider all the way on the turtle side; if I go to full rabbit my values for J1 are 0-100%.

Did not think about changing the Rabbit/Turtle slider. When I go to Rabbit, I get -1% down and 100% up.

Has everybody updated their birds and the ST16 to the latest firmware version ?

Typhoon H

Description:

Improvements to ultrasonic obstacle avoidance system performance.
Improvements to gimbal control in pan mode.
(Date: 5/19/2016)

Firmware Version:
Gimbal: v1.22
Autopilot: v1.15
Camera: v3.1.37

ST16

Description:

Improvements to Team mode settings.
(Date: 04/11/2016)

Firmware Version:
st16_system_v03.01.b18

kind regards