Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Simplified 3.9 mm lens install video 2.5 minutes

Good work! Yes, it seems to be missing the grey/silver bezel that runs around the low pass filter on the 377, the pins on the 377 also seem to be half hidden beneath it.
I zoomed in on my laptop and the gold contacts seem to match identical on the 117 vs our sensor (cgo3+).

It's a Sony sensor, if someone can get a picture straight down the lens mount it would be possible to tell if it's the same IMX117 or the newer IMX377. The 117 is in the GoPro Hero 4, the 377 is in the latest Xiaomi Yi 2 action cam.
How do you know it's a Sony sensor?

How do you know it's a Sony sensor?

Several reps have said in interviews that it's a Sony sensor, I think it also said so on their website marketing.

I've put the sensors of the GoPro Hero 4, Phantom 4 and CGO3+ side by side in photoshop and the pinouts look identical, all seem to be using the IMX117.

Last edited:
I zoomed in on my laptop and the gold contacts seem to match identical on the 117 vs our sensor (cgo3+).
This is the sensor bridge I believe, which is also has the identical contacts as on the older CGO3 camera, which may or maybe not tied to the processor with a different chip on the board? There still are no Sony markings anywhere.

Several reps have said in interviews that it's a Sony sensor, I think it also said so on their website marketing.
I've put the sensors of the GoPro Hero 4, Phantom 4 and CGO3+ side by side in photoshop an the pinouts look identical, all seem to be using the IMX117.

I've heard Yuneec reps say a few things that are not exactly true, any vague answer given under pressure at at trade show rules that confirmation out for me, or do you know of something solid of someone talking in detail about it? (If they really were informed don't you think a sales rep would be boasting about it, saying its the new Sony IMX 377 or it can do this or that better than the last one?)
I can't find any reference on any of their sites to any kind of Sony Sensor yet alone which model.
The pinouts may be the same as another non-Sony sensor made for the same board. - Remember the CG03 did have a sony IMX117 and this was printed on the bridge. This new bridge seems to be the same layout but the Sony references are gone, and replaced with "E02-XXYL 120S6-1RA".

Reactions: Forrestt
This is the sensor bridge I believe, which is also has the identical contacts as on the older CGO3 camera, which may or maybe not tied to the processor with a different chip on the board? There still are no Sony markings anywhere.

I've heard Yuneec reps say a few things that are not exactly true, any vague answer given under pressure at at trade show rules that confirmation out for me, or do you know of something solid of someone talking in detail about it? (If they really were informed don't you think a sales rep would be boasting about it, saying its the new Sony IMX 377 or it can do this or that better than the last one?)
I can't find any reference on any of their sites to any kind of Sony Sensor yet alone which model.
The pinouts may be the same as another non-Sony sensor made for the same board. - Remember the CG03 did have a sony IMX117 and this was printed on the bridge. This new bridge seems to be the same layout but the Sony references are gone, and replaced with "E02-XXYL 120S6-1RA".
Generic clone perhaps??

Reactions: banned user
The sensor pin-outs don't change, the boards are made to suit the sensor pin-out. All three sensors look identical cosmetically as well. The Sony sensors that were copied the most seem to be the IMX078 and this looks quite different from the IMX117, I've not seen a copy of the 117 that is physically identical. The Chinese back-alley brands just call it a Sony 078 or 117 but you can see they use cheaper brands or just a lower spec Sony.

What are the advantages of the 377 over 117?

In the sensor I am not sure and I'm not so concerned about it, I am concerned about the processor and it's high compression and low bit rate. This is what I would hope can be swapped out. For the sensor there are details on the 2 here, Sony Global - Technology (edit - but I ask about the sensor in order to try an build up a full picture of what the camera is)

Reactions: Forrestt
This is the only difference they show. MIPI 4 lane on the 377 vs sub LVDS 10ch on the 117....whatever the **** that means.

Three weeks ago, I tried installing a 5.4 mm lens, that is my lens of choice because it has a field of view of only 64 degrees, the stock lens has a field of view of 98 degrees...the narrow the field of view the less distortion. (I've installed about 10 of those on GoPros when I flew Phantoms) However the 5.4 will not focus in the lens mount...you need a deeper mount. Removing the old mount is problematic because of the epoxy glue they used and there are also 4 hair thin wires connected to a board smaller than a postage stamp which controls the gimbal which is very delicate. Each of those wire is finely soldered with a tiny dot of solder So I've settled for now with 3.9mm lens which has a field of view of 84 degrees. I like to fly low and close to my subjects and this lens allows me to have the image closer at a greater distance with less distortion. I got my 3.9mm lens from Skydrones USA in Iowa.
I have the 5.4mm lens from Peau Productions mounted on my Cgo3+

I have the 5.4mm lens from Peau Productions mounted on my Cgo3+
This is a great image you have, sharper than any other replacement I have seen (it's a little soft on the top left but given how the distortion looks like nearly zero it 's and the rest of the sharpness it's forgivable.) Did you choose with or without the IR filter? Have you made any colour corrections in this vid? Thanks

Here's are some pictures I took. Zoom in to see the difference
One is the stock lens, then there's one with the stock lens adjusted and the third one is with the Peau Lens. Looks like that the stock lens can create a decent image when adjusted right. In either way I tried to get it as sharp as possible. The Peau one was taken in natural mode, so it doesn't look as the other ones from a color standpoint of view.

There's only one question I have....would it make sense to adjust the lens to near perfect focus in DNG/RAW Mode as there is no sharpening applied. Therefore less sharpening would be required in JPG Mode

Attachments

• Peau Lens - Photo, Natural.jpg
    Peau Lens - Photo, Natural.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 79
  • Stock Lens - Tweaked.jpg
    Stock Lens - Tweaked.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • Stock Lense - as shipped.jpg
    Stock Lense - as shipped.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
One is the stock lens, then there's one with the stock lens adjusted and the third one is with the Peau Lens. Looks like that the stock lens can create a decent image when adjusted right. In either way I tried to get it as sharp as possible. The Peau one was taken in natural mode, so it doesn't look as the other ones from a color standpoint of view.

There's only one question I have....would it make sense to adjust the lens to near perfect focus in DNG/RAW Mode as there is no sharpening applied. Therefore less sharpening would be required in JPG Mode
Thats great to see, the stock lens does actually focus well and you did a good job of it, it looks like. It's exactly what a few of us wondered about before. It looks amazingly better than before - I'd even say it looks better than the Peau lens, with gaining all that sharpness back there is no need to loose the original field of view anymore.
I'd say your right about smaller tolerances / finer adjustment using DNG's, I stand to be corrected though...

Could you pointing to see the diff at a single object?

Stock lens after adjustment looks great.

I purchased mine from Carolina Drone, Is yours the same? I get a little bit of Barrel distortion,

Slightly noticeable when the camera angle changes.

Yes there's some distortion with the Peau Lens when the picture size comes out at 4000x3000. Here you can see it at the Umbrella Pole.

Also interesting to see is how the sharpening works around close range objects. Oftentimes Objects behind a near one are a bit fuzzy, but once the near object is removed then the fuzziness is gone

Attachments

• YUN00026.jpg
    YUN00026.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 52
Here are my focus results. It is remarkably better. These are Jpeg raw with no post processing. At this point I don't think I will invest in a better lens. I also figured out a way to do the focusing using my phone/tablet without the need for a tv or taking out the sd card back to a computer. I will post a write up tomorrow.
It is obvious which picture is before focusing. From the details of the roof, It looks like I lost focus in the first 2 feet of the picture, but I will take that any day to gain sharpness in the distance.

Attachments

• YUN00001.jpg
    YUN00001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • YUN00008.jpg
    YUN00008.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Here are my focus results. It is remarkably better. These are Jpeg raw with no post processing. At this point I don't think I will invest in a better lens. I also figured out a way to do the focusing using my phone/tablet without the need for a tv or taking out the sd card back to a computer. I will post a write up tomorrow.
It is obvious which picture is before focusing. From the details of the roof, It looks like I lost focus in the first 2 feet of the picture, but I will take that any day to gain sharpness in the distance.
Big difference

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech