Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

1. CAPTAINDRONE

Hey pilots,

It seems everytime I go drone flying with someone new they tend to treat their drone camera like their cell phone camera.... that is to say that many objects touch the lens and it gets kind of dirty.

I've notice that many pilots put their drones on grass which touches the lens prior to take off, or they take off on loose sand. All off these have the potential to dirty the lens just enough to affect a 4k image when watched at full resolution.

In this video tip I point out an obvious option to avoid this.

JohnL, John S, GRH and 2 others like this.
  2. Rayray

Rayray Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree, and as I posted earlier, the possibility of that crud blowing up into the cam card slot is another consideration.

I, being that cheap is my name, simply bought a 4' by 5' carpet from Amazon for a few bucks. Heavy enough that it does not turn into a flying carpet, but light enough to roll up and carry around, put in vehicle, etc.

I enjoy your videos, Cap, keep up your good work.

JohnL likes this.
  3. BobW55

BobW55 Moderator
    Staff Member

"Camera lens crap"
    LMAO.
    Capt, love your videos, keep it up!

4. Atomic08

I usually just use my rear car floor mats...
    Always with me and light enough to carry !

5. abinder

Be careful using carpet for the takeoff/landing pad.
    When I use to fly RC helis, some people would use carpet the same way and every now and then the rotor wash from the main rotor would cause the edge of the carpet to curl up and strike the main rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Hunter_Michael

Good Stuff CAPT, Love all the video tips you are providing! One thing I would add is being very careful when hand catching a drone. Only reason I say this is I had an incident about 5 years ago with my Cessna RC plane, where the prop cut up my arms in a mishap. I have scars on my forearms that are pretty bad. These props can cause injury and one should do so with extreme caution. I understand there are times you may need to hand catch your H just be overly cautious when doing so. Especially if you are holding your transmitter in one arm and grabbing with the other.

7. Rayray

Rayray Moderator
    Staff Member

Exactly, the carpet I use is finished, like for a kitchen floor, and stiff/thick enough that the edges will not curl. 4' by 5' is enough pad that even near-sighted folks can hit it.

8. CAPTAINDRONE

Thanks & good idea with the carpet!

9. CAPTAINDRONE

Now that is an idea I never considered. I always have my car with me. Great tip!

10. CAPTAINDRONE

Fully agree. Catching a drone is rather easy, but one must remain mindful of them savage props.

Hunter_Michael likes this.
  11. JB1

JB1

I went to my local auto store and bought a rubber floor mat for $24.99 and cut it in half, giving me a 4'x5' piece. It weighs enough that it doesn't blow away and rolls up nicely to fit one of my fishing rod slings for transport. My DJI buddy liked it so much he copied the idea, soon he'll probably finish the hack and buy his own H :rolleyes:

12. ArnhemAnt

Some good points made above.
    I live in a pretty remote part of Australia and over the years of flying rc, I have had to contend with some fairly harsh environments including dirt, dust, sand, iron filings, etc, so I designed a landing mat (1500 X 1500mm) and had this printed in a heavy vinyl. I then used some natural bamboo and cable tied this to each end of the mat to not only hold it down in windy conditions, but to also make it easier to roll up when finished. This has saved me many times over and the fact that I have a few checklist items on the mat is an added bonus. Obviously, If i were to re-design this mat again, it would feature the Yuneec logo in a very prominent position.....

Attached Files:

CAPTAINDRONE likes this.
  13. CAPTAINDRONE

That looks like you could sell it on Amazon or eBay as an actual product. Well done!

14. JohnL

LOL! That would be me.

Rayray likes this.
  15. ArnhemAnt

I'm happy to design one specifically for the Yuneec stuff if enough people actually want one. I can also include suggestions from members here as to what they actually want on it.

16. CAPTAINDRONE

It could be an option. What kind of cost are we looking at?

17. ArnhemAnt

Mine cost me $208.18 It was digitally printed on heavy duty 1500 X 1500mm heavy duty vinyl with eyelets down each side.This was printed locally and I am sure it could be printed at a lower cost if it was outsourced. Maybe I can just design the mat and provide the high res PDF and then anyone can grab it and get it printed themselves where-ever they choose?

18. Cesar

19. abinder

20. JohnL

5 Ft Diameter Drone Launch Pad - HDLP (On backorder - you may still order this product) in Launch Pad
    LOL!: 3-foot diam. pad: $79.99; 5-foot diam pad: $129.99; 8-foot diam. pad: $429.99 !! Must be lots of folks with lots of disposable income to spend this kind of money on orange plastic. :rolleyes: