Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Tips, Tricks and Modifications

Reaction score
I am starting a thread specifically for sharing your ideas about using and modifying the Typhoon H and its components.
I'll start with some tips for making the ST16 display easier to see.

Improving the visibility of the ST16 controller
Second mod is to add a better sun shield. I made one from a plastic notebook cover. It is taller than the original. It folds up for storing the ST16 without having to remove it. The back and the sides tilt inward to help block light from coming in. The inward tilt also keeps the neck strap from pushing against it. It is held on by double sided foam tape and two velcro patches.
DSC04775.jpg DSC04777.jpg DSC04778.jpg DSC04779.jpg

Last edited:
The third mod is to your glasses. I find that I want to have sunglasses when looking up at the Typhoon in the air, but I have trouble seeing the screen with sunglasses on. Here, I have added a pair of clip-on sunglasses ($4) that have had the bottom trimmed off. Now I have the best of both, sunglasses when I look up and clear view when I look down at the screen through my progressive lenses.
DSC04782.jpg

Reactions: D See Ker and Haydn
My final mod is actually to your flying attire. Use a wide brim hat to block sky light from coming past your head and hitting the screen. Wear a dark colored shirt so that it does not reflect on the screen.

Attachments

• DSC04784.JPG
    DSC04784.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 109
SD Card Mod
I find it difficult to insert and remove the tiny SD card from the CGO3 camera. Also it is hard to see if the card is in fact installed in the camera.
I have taped a red tab to the end of the card which makes it easier to see and to install. When you are ready to fly, you can spot the tab from a good distance away.

Attachments

• sdcardmod.jpg
    sdcardmod.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 139
The hat trick works. I've been using a very wide brimmed farmer type straw hat and it cuts off the sun pretty well.

White balance tip
The Automatic White Balance on any camera will be fooled by scenes which have a predominant color. For example, a scene which includes a lot of greenery will cause the color balance to shift towards magenta. This dulls the greens and makes other neutral colors look too magenta. For many years, photographers have used a grey card to set white balance (and exposure.) You can do the same for your H.
Carry a grey poster board to launch from. Before launch, tilt the camera down so that it is only seeing the grey. If the sun is out, make sure the camera is seeing an area that the sun is shining on. Lock your white balance, rotate the camera back up and fly.DSC04786.JPG

White balance tip
The Automatic White Balance on any camera will be fooled by scenes which have a predominant color. For example, a scene which includes a lot of greenery will cause the color balance to shift towards magenta. This dulls the greens and makes other neutral colors look too magenta. For many years, photographers have used a grey card to set white balance (and exposure.) You can do the same for your H.
Carry a grey poster board to launch from. Before launch, tilt the camera down so that it is only seeing the grey. If the sun is out, make sure the camera is seeing an area that the sun is shining on. Lock your white balance, rotate the camera back up and fly.View attachment 3826
Good tip, I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Improving the visibility of the st16 screen.....I bought the skyview fpv goggles........:D

Here are some things I've done to combat glare on the ST-16 screen:
First, I added a black cloth veil on the back edge of my wide rimmed hat that dropped to my shoulders. That helped but not enough.
Second, I built a cardboard viewing box that was held in place over the screen with clips and bungy cord. It had a viewing port fitted with reading glasses and a hand access port for touching the screen. That worked great but was too big and bulky.
Third, I built a smaller cardboard viewing box that slips neatly over the stock sun shield (see photo). It has the same glasses and hand access port. So far, I'm very happy with it, but it could be improved.
Finally, I like the idea of using the plastic notebook cover material for the box. That will be the next version. Now, if I could only make it fold flat.
The viewing box is light weight, provides an excellent FPV view and still allows the pilot to look up at the bird in an instant. It was was based on my friend Ron's idea that he implemented for his DJI P3P cell phone.

Attachments

• DSC08321-1.jpg
    DSC08321-1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 161
  • DSC08319-1-1.jpg
    DSC08319-1-1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 155
White balance tip
Carry a grey poster board to launch from. Before launch, tilt the camera down so that it is only seeing the grey. If the sun is out, make sure the camera is seeing an area that the sun is shining on. Lock your white balance, rotate the camera back up and fly.View attachment 3826

Why gray? I've used white for this. I like the idea of looking down at the card.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
My post from another thread, a simple battery charge indicator.
I use these handy stick-on battery charge indicators from HobbyKing; manually slide the tab.
Turnigy Battery Charge Marker (10pcs/bag)

The backing sticks securely onto the slight curve of the lifting handle.

Attachments

• 2016-10-23 22.39.35.jpg
    2016-10-23 22.39.35.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
How do you like them?
I'll let you know when I get them back from Yuneec. :( I just got them. I didn't used them I just connected them to st16 and tried them on to see how they fit and worked, I had to send them in because I couldn't see the info across the very bottom of the display, like the distance telemetry. Some people said they have the same issue and others don't. Some suggested that it might be caused by the way they fit different people's face shape. I talked to Yuneec and they told me to sent them in and they will check them to make sure everything is aligned correctly. I just sent them off a couple of days ago. I'll post when I get them back.

Last edited:
Why gray? I've used white for this. I like the idea of looking down at the card.
White can also work. The grey is a carryover from film days. I always shot a grey card at the beginning of a roll to get exposure and to use for color balancing in the darkroom. For your Typhoon camera, grey can also be used to set exposure, but you would need to angle the card so that it was getting full sun.

Lot of good ideas here Guys. Keep them coming pictures are nice also .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me