Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H User(created) Manual

The gimbal needs to move around I believe to do the calibration, as the gimbal moves at start up and after to self adjust, I would not leave it on !

Rule of thumb with any r/c is to turn on the controller first and turn it off last. Might boot up quicker the other way but take it from me the one time that bird decides to go off the reservation and start up fully you will regret it. The software on these is much more sophisticated but on cars and other r/c's it will happen. A friend of mine turned off his controller with the nitro dragster happily idling away. As soon as he turned off the switch it took off. Totally ruined it. Lots of stuff on the band this bird uses for communication. A stray signal while its sitting there powered up could be a major downer. And if you get it booted up much sooner you won't have enough satellites so what is the use? I suspect the ST-16 waits until a minimum number of satellites are locked before continuing. I know when I first flew mine I never looked at the numbers. Just assumed it wouldn't say ready until everything was good to go. Looking at telemetry later I found out I've been taking off with 8 or 9 and shortly after get up to 15-18. Now I wait till I have 11 or 12. So I think the length of time it takes is partially to make sure that a sufficient number of sats that are locked is sufficient. Probably saved me from crashing at first.

Reactions: DroneClone
Rule of thumb with any r/c is to turn on the controller first and turn it off last. Might boot up quicker the other way but take it from me the one time that bird decides to go off the reservation and start up fully you will regret it. The software on these is much more sophisticated but on cars and other r/c's it will happen. A friend of mine turned off his controller with the nitro dragster happily idling away. As soon as he turned off the switch it took off. Totally ruined it. Lots of stuff on the band this bird uses for communication. A stray signal while its sitting there powered up could be a major downer. And if you get it booted up much sooner you won't have enough satellites so what is the use? I suspect the ST-16 waits until a minimum number of satellites are locked before continuing. I know when I first flew mine I never looked at the numbers. Just assumed it wouldn't say ready until everything was good to go. Looking at telemetry later I found out I've been taking off with 8 or 9 and shortly after get up to 15-18. Now I wait till I have 11 or 12. So I think the length of time it takes is partially to make sure that a sufficient number of sats that are locked is sufficient. Probably saved me from crashing at first.
Agree !

Reactions: Bionic816
I have a pic of the crashed dragster somewhere. It came back in a bucket. Some parts we never did find. Pretty spectacular crash it dug a hole in the ground where it finally ran against a piece of concrete. A total loss. Nothing on that car was salvageable even the motor casing was warped. They run close to 100mph he had a telemetry module for g-force and such in it but it was destroyed as well so we never knew how hard it hit. I even leave my cell phone in the car when I fly. 35 years working with computer systems I can tell you they will do things that you never expect if you give them the chance.

Thanks for the voltage info! Did have a question about the obstacle avoid switch, why does it have on, off and a middle position?

The 1.3 manual still doesn't have correct Compass Calibration lights. When successful it blinks purple/white or green/white depending on flight mode you're in. Manual says solid purple or green.
Also, manual says when finished status indicators will blink continuously. Mine were all solid. Which is correct?

My Q500 4K was the the same calibration lights showed Purple/White or Green/White depending on flight mode, and last time I looked this still has not been corrected for this error in the manual.

Now I have the Typhoon H I cant believe they still show errors in this manual, gps lock solid led status solid Purple or Green depending on mode angle or smart, this must have really confused newcomers, whilst I was aware of this others may not have been, and to make matters worse this is not the first manual.

So come on Yuneec get your act together these sort of errors should not be occurring in the printed material that's been distributed with every machine sold its not rocket science to check for mistakes/errors before going to print.

Reactions: Porch
Bought my H 1 Week ago. Oh man I wish I had seen this checklist. I made at least three mistakes that would have been avoided by reading that checklist. 1) Put sim card in ST16 on the flat. I tried it in the dark. Chunk Right down into the guts of the controller. 2) Knew about angle mode for take off but did not run through pre check. and took off in smart mode. Hovering at 2-3 ft. bumped the right stick and H went the Wrong way. headed straight for my grill. Let go of everything. All stop and gently lowered it. and saw the switch. I am gonna give the link to my hobby shop owner. Great contribution this!

I have a general question on the typhoon H. My brother is a photographer, would it make sense for him to get the Typhoon H with the intel real sense feature or the one with the ultrasonic sensor?

The first one is $1,899:

Typhoon H RTF with RealSense, ST16, CGO3+ – YUNTYHBRUS

and the second one is only $1,299:

YUNEEC - Typhoon H Hexacopter - Black

Thanks in advance for your feedback:)
No problem one is available to buy, the other one is not. How long does he want to wait? The standard H is brilliant.

Here we go boys and girls ! Feel free to add to this list, and let's keep it to the point ! Hopefully It will save many questions and heartaches! To ALL !( I Harvey I hope you don't mind my editing some, i.e also take off on Obstacle Avoidance)
Please Read T his and "ALL" Manuals and Quick Start Cards Before First Flight, and Frequently !

1. Be smart and don't use Smart mode when taking off or landing, only when using Follow Me mode, etc. If you choose to use Smart Mode at any time, remember to stay a minimum of 26' from you and the controller at all times !.
2. Check and make sure Obstacle Avoidance is turned off before take off and landing.
3. Calibrate your compass before first flight and after each firmware update to the aircraft. Also when traveling significant distance from home ( Your discretion)You may also consider doing a Accelerometer and IMU calibration, especially if the H fly's or hovers erratically!.Make Sure to do Accelerometer and IMU calibrations on a table, level ground, that is tested level! You will get proper led color configuration of Green-Smart Mode and Purple- Angle Mode before lift of if calibration was successful !
4. Low battery warning will come on between 14.3V and 14.6v but you might want to land before then but, at least, be prepared to be in a decent landing area when you get below 15v.
5. Landing gear does not auto-deploy except in RTH, look at your drone when landing and think about what you're doing.
6. If your ST16 rattles, you have a loose fan, pull off rubber grips to remove screws and fix
7. If you decide to put a SD card into your ST16, turn the ST16 upside down before doing so since you're less likely to lose your card into the controller
8. Always remember to turn ST16 "ON" first, then Typhoon H after ST16 has booted up, And reverse these steps when turning off.
9. Remember when filming in "Video Mode" to turn off video filming before turning off the H and the ST16 or you "Can" lose your video, and may have to turn H on and off again to restore.
10. Make sure gimbal cover is removed before firing up the H, Will save damaging gimbal motors and gears. Also prevent burn out on the camera sensor!.
11. Always check rear status lights for proper color combinations of flashing purple and white, or minimum of a solid purple, Always check number of satellites before take off, a safe number should be a minimum of 8.
12. If using Smart Mode and options as cable cam, POI, follow me , etc. Remember that you must have a blinking purple/white to succeed in connecting.
13. Remember that when using RTH(Return to Home) to make sure that you have a minimum of 30' clearance of unobstructed path to home, "IF" you are flying at or below 30' when switching to Home Mode. ( If you are above 30', it will return to Home at the altitude you are flying currently at.
14.If not using you H battery for more than 10 days, fly/hover them down for storage to 50-60%, DO NOT store fully charged for any extended period of time, Also if on the other hand, you have flown your batteries below 50%, charge them up to 50-60% for storage. Storage of more than 10 days at full charge or under 50% can lead to battery life loss and/or battery swelling and even fire.
15. Every 12 flights or so, check all screws, motors, gimbal/camera mounts and accessories for snugness. DO NOT over tighten, just snug them down if loosening.
16. DO NOT use RED button to land your aircraft from short distances from ground (6-12") To land successfully, Turn off Obstacle Avoidance, be in ANGLE MODE and make sure landing gear are deployed !. Lower H slowly to ground not stopping 1-2 feet above ground and hovering(Vortex will form). Just slowly lower gently to ground and hold LEFT STICK completely downward for 2-3 seconds to idle motors and then release. Now you can press red button to kill motors.
17. Allow batteries to cool to room temperature before charging.
18. Check your props for any nicks or cracks BEFORE and after each flight. DO NOT FLY WITH ANY DAMAGED PROPS.
19. .. Do a preflight check before takeoff. 1) Check that all propellers are secure and in good condition. 2) Check flight mode is the one you want (Angle, etc.), 3) Check whether you are in Turtle Mode or Rabbit Mode, 4) Check Obstruction Avoidance is set to OFF. 5) Check camera mode. (I like to have camera pointing to front and parallel to ground on take off.), 6) Check battery level is what you expect to ensure adequate flight time. 7) Check battery is inserted into H all of the way. 8) Check localweather to avoid excessive wind speed, rain, dust, etc.)
20. Make sure to install SD Card into H camera if you are planning to save your photo's and/or video's.
Thanks a lot

To what voltage on the controller does 50-60% for storage mode correspond?

To what voltage on the controller does 50-60% for storage mode correspond?
Plug it into the charger and tap the screen and when it show 50%, it close enough! Never taken my battery out, look on it and see what it's voltage is, I never worry about it a whole lot, after 4 batteries in flight of the H , my controller is around 50%;)

I meant the Typhoon H batteries. Not the controller's battery. What voltage corresponds to 50-60%

Great job on the manual! When I got my H, the first thing I did after unboxing was to charge the batteries. I just dropped the battery in the charging base and it drove me crazy listining to the beeb ever few seconds. I had no idea if this was the way it charged or not. After a few hours of listening to the beeping it finally charged. I started to charge the second battery and the beeping started all over again. I finally got tired of the beeping and decided this can't be correct, so I looked at the charger and found out the battery wasn't fully seated in the base. I pushed the battery down with a little force and it went deeper and seated correctly. Wish I looked closer in the first place and saved me and my wife the pain of listening to the constant beeping.

Last edited:
About 15.2v - 15.4v should be good. 3.8v per cell is what lipo chargers usually consider storage charge, so 3.8v x 4 cells = 15.2v.

Isn't it odd that 15.2V shows the battery as 75% full on the app. Seems not logical to me...

65508303267ed509b2703346d1bb0a0f.jpg

About 15.2v - 15.4v should be good. 3.8v per cell is what lipo chargers usually consider storage charge, so 3.8v x 4 cells = 15.2v.

Isn't it odd that 15.2V shows the battery as 75% full on the app. Seems not logical to me...

To put my battery in storage I fly it down to 14.7v and land. After sitting at idle for a minute it goes up to 15.2 and then I shut it down.

I do the same MikeB. Still 15.2 as above is not 75%. Graph is misleading.

fredz, I totally agree with the graph being off. That's why I check it with a DVM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval