Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H wont fly in nyc

Reaction score
So basically I brought this drone and you can't fly it and no where in New York City because of the flight restrictions so the Drone won't operate and take off of the ground I called the company and they said they are working on a firmware update that will allow me to fly it because of the flight restrictions so the drone won't operate and take off the ground I called the company and they said they are working on a firmware update that will allow me to fly it but they have no dates on the release of the software so I'm thinking of bringing it back to B&H store really dont know what to do sum1 help what should i do???????

I have a similar problem here in San Antonio. Lots of AF bases and such. There is an app you can get for your phone that will show all the restricted space and also airports and heli pads etc. Its free so download that for your phone and you should be able to find somewhere to fly. I've found several places using it. But initially I thought I was going to have to drive quite a way to fly or take it back.

Just travel a little outside the geo fence zones for now and fly all you like!. There is more to life than filming a concrete jungle!:)

Yea its not a full 5 miles either I've found out. More like 3 it seems. But when you are in one might as well pack it up you aren't going to fly :) I can fly in my back yard but the park down the block is no go. I'm sure there are mistakes both ways in the software it will evolve. Soon you will be able to notify a tower within the app. Its in the test phase now. I thought it was already working went through filling in the fields thinking I was good to go. Glad nothing happened. I'd be worried about updrafts and downdrafts and all manner of other wind in a city.

Reactions: DroneClone
Don't worry one way or another there will be a "improve" firmware for the H. Just as there are for Phantom 3 and Q500

Casey Neistat flys his Phantom 4 all over NY and every city he visits, in his daily video blog. Perhaps he is using a 3rd party software to get around restrictions.

Or flying "Illegally" and doesn't care! Soon to be caught! I doubt the City of NY , or ant City or FAA is giving him clearance to fly around buildings and people!!!;)

Or flying "Illegally" and doesn't care! Soon to be caught! I doubt the City of NY , or ant City or FAA is giving him clearance to fly around buildings and people!!!;)
I think everyone just lets him do it. He's already crashed into a bridge, boat, building, office, etc. He is so popular that cities give him celebrity status and let him film/fly away.

I agree with DroneClone. While geofencing may be a pain to those that have Section 333's or COAs that allow them to legally fly inside the geofenced areas in the firmware (primarily major airports), it also prevents those that are giving the rest of the industry a bad name from flying. Just because you don't get caught doesn't mean you flew legally. If you follow the FAA guidelines, you can notify an small airport (or ATC for larger airports) that you intend to fly, but the geofence may not allow you to do so. While it's currently a one size fits all, it does have both benefits and drawbacks. Sandia National Laboratories is located on Kirtland AFB/Albuquerque Intl. and ran into the same problem with a DJI product. They ended up contacting DJI (after proof of authorization) to get a customized firmware version.

Reactions: DroneClone
Casey Neistat flys his Phantom 4 all over NY and every city he visits, in his daily video blog. Perhaps he is using a 3rd party software to get around restrictions.

Am I wrong, or doesn't the software for the H allow you to change the height and distance restrictions?

Am I wrong, or doesn't the software for the H allow you to change the height and distance restrictions?
Yes, you need to install the GUI utility on a Windows computer and connect the Typhoon via a USB cable (like the one included for charging the ST16).

Fly without GPS, cover your GPS with a cover of something. its your drone do what you want with it. just be safe. I see so many drones flying in NYC. Mostly phantoms

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval