Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UAV Toolbox - The Next Generation

Reaction score
Here's a quick update on what's happening with UAV Toolbox.

The next release includes two very big features, and the foundations for some major developments going on. Getting this stuff right takes a little time, which is why I've been relatively quiet. However, we're getting close, so here's what to expect.

The first new feature is equipment management. This allows you to track what you flew and when - you can identify the batteries you fly with, and for professional users, which drone, camera or controller you used for each flight. The equipment database allows you to track how batteries are performing, and later it will be possible to get stats on typical lifespans, expected flight times and the difference between manufacturers.

The second feature is online share and sync. Flight summaries will now identify what photos and video you took, your route and all of the current stats on flight time, radio signal, distance and so on. You will be able to upload these to the UAV Toolbox website where you can share them and review flights along with Google Maps and synchronized photos and video. It makes a world of difference to be able to show people a flight on a big screen, and to be able to see where you were when a particular image was captured.

Online sync is a big deal - this opens up all sorts of features, such as editing missions on your PC and having them automatically available on your ST-16, being able to share missions between controllers and being able to generate reports and presentations for clients and friends. There has been some discussion lately about planning grids for survey missions, and this is how I can deliver a truly powerful tool for professional use.

There are a few other tweaks and changes that hopefully will make it to this release, but I'll announce those later on.

Now, in order to make this all possible the price of the app is going to go up a small amount. This weekend is probably going to be the last chance to get it at the current price, so don't miss out. If you want to help me pay my bills, give it a few days :) All of the current users will be able to upgrade without paying any more. However for all users who wish to use the online services, I will need to charge a fee to cover ongoing server costs - hosting gigabytes of photos and videos online is not free. When these facilities are fully online, I'll share some more about how that might work.

In the short term, the upgrade may mean the registration server is offline for a few short periods. Check the website for any service reports. I'll be sharing early builds with a few beta testers over the next few days - drop me a message if you're interested. The final release should be coming out around the end of the month. It's going to be fantastic!

hi Tuna,

Good deal! Looking forward to the updates.

Will likely try to get my registration in soon. Not because I am cheap, but because I have been procrastinating. I need the toolbox for a job next week!

From what I am reading, a tiered "subscription" might be in the future; pay to play. I will definitely contribute if I take up space on your server(s)!

Jeff

P.S. Registered last night. :D

Last edited:
Tuna, you are fantastic. let me know how much more for the server fee, I am on board. Funny thing I just downloaded the app a couple of days of go, sent you a PM. and have not even had a chance to try it out, hope to next week to try and figure it all out on planning a flight. The planning grids for survey missions would be very helpful, My partner fly's DJI and when we need to fly a grid we now use his system.

TUNA; That really sounds great, the first and second features will be great for those of us who are licensed to incorporate that information in the event the FAA wishes to examine our records resulting from various scenarios while flying as well of course for the pilots to more carefully monitor what battery was being used etc. Thanks so much for your continued work which greatly benefits us all.

This is a HUGE deal Tuna. I look forward to see what you've done with the toolbox.

Tuna
This is great news and I hope your development goes as smoothly as possible. I know what it's like from too many years in computing:confused:! I recently registered with you and was very pleased with your app but have been trying to figure out how to sync Google maps and GPS telemetry with video footage on a Mac. Since you are moving into the cloud this sounds as though it will solve my problems without me having to do any coding. Also means I can use my Mac for it:) so I will happily support your efforts.
Good luck for the implementation!

For anyone out there that doesn't know, he goes above and beyond to help people. He helped me with some things that will be very beneficial to myself, and for others in the fire service. I'm looking forward to new features, both in the short, as well as long-term...Much appreciated!!

sounds like some great features , I'm already a subscriber haven't been able to get much use out of it yet ,but if you need to jack the price up just let us know , at these prices if people complain then they shouldn't have brought $1000 plus toys

Reactions: Typhoon Charlie
Tuna - just echoing the comments from above - thank you for the work you have done so far on developing a very worthwhile app for the ST16/H. This latest update sounds very exciting, particularly the equipment management.
At the moment, for my batteries, I use the Revolectrix PL8 with the Bump Controller to charge my batteries. Each battery has a Bump tag that records charge cycles, etc. This has been a little 'glitchy' so I'm keen to see how battery management/tracking can be incorporated into the UAV Toolbox.

Reactions: Ralphy
There is great value in your work Tuna and professional users who demand all the features you stated above would easily pay 3 times what you currently charge. Once again targeting the commercial user is a great way to maximize your profits because the money is flowing in that direction. Deliverables that use the Typhoon H as a tool is a big market waiting to be tapped commercially in 2017. We all support your passion and perseverance in filling the software gap with this model and look forward to great results.

Thanks for all the support guys. The upgrade is going well - though as promised, the server has been down occasionally over the last 24 hours which has made it difficult to log in. Everything seems to be back up and in a good state now, so please accept my apologies if you've been tearing your hair out.

Those who have offered to beta test should get a message over the next couple of days with a new version of the app to try.

Always happy to help if needed. Looking forward to trying the new version!

Thanks for all the support guys. The upgrade is going well - though as promised, the server has been down occasionally over the last 24 hours which has made it difficult to log in. Everything seems to be back up and in a good state now, so please accept my apologies if you've been tearing your hair out.

Those who have offered to beta test should get a message over the next couple of days with a new version of the app to try.

Tuna this all sounds great.
For those of us that do not want to sync to your server will there be an option to sync to our own PC?

Brandon

Tuna this all sounds great.
For those of us that do not want to sync to your server will there be an option to sync to our own PC?

Brandon

You can already download media and telemetry from UAV Toolbox to your PC as well as review flight data on the ST-16 itself.

To sync across devices and provide more powerful mission editing and review tools needs a server somewhere and the complexities of getting that to work reliably across all the different combinations of operating system, network setup, browsers and hardware are immense. So rather than doing half a job with software on your PC, I'll be concentrating on providing the best field tool I can for the ST-16 and then online tools for the features that need a big screen, high quality reports, sharing and so on.

All of the online tools will be optional and under your control. Some will only be of interest to professional or commercial pilots, and some for very specific activities. If you don't wish to use them, then no data will be uploaded. If you just want to use the app as a field tool, then you can.

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
You can already download media and telemetry from UAV Toolbox to your PC as well as review flight data on the ST-16 itself.

To sync across devices and provide more powerful mission editing and review tools needs a server somewhere and the complexities of getting that to work reliably across all the different combinations of operating system, network setup, browsers and hardware are immense. So rather than doing half a job with software on your PC, I'll be concentrating on providing the best field tool I can for the ST-16 and then online tools for the features that need a big screen, high quality reports, sharing and so on.

All of the online tools will be optional and under your control. Some will only be of interest to professional or commercial pilots, and some for very specific activities. If you don't wish to use them, then no data will be uploaded. If you just want to use the app as a field tool, then you can.

I think what Brandon is asking, and I as well, would like to build the mission at home on the pc - then upload it to the st16 without the need of a server.

I think what Brandon is asking, and I as well, would like to build the mission at home on the pc - then upload it to the st16 without the need of a server.

Mission editing will be the same as all the other features - either on the ST-16 or as an online tool you can use in your PC browser. There won't be a standalone PC app to sync to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal