Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update firmware or not?

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed to death, but I have not been using the H for a while and now find myself with a commercial permission and a possibility of some work and a new Peau lens.

My current frirmware versions are v03.01.b22 (ST16) and have avoided updating what with all the issues there were. The question is, is it now safe to update? I did read they had limited the H to a little uder 400'? Is that the case, I don't intend to exceed this illegally but there are times when going above 400 feet may be required and can be done legally.
I like some of the available features but not sure if I should.
Thoughts?

Since I recently purchased my Pro it has the most recent firmware. I have not verified this myself since I do have an airport 5.5 miles away but there are several reports that regardless of the maximum height set in the GUI the maximum attainable height is approximately 400 feet for those on the most recent firmware. All other features seem to work as designed. There has been a lot of buzz about another update to address the max altitude issue.

Typhoon H Firmware EU V3.01
Gimbal:v1.25,
Autopilot:v1.30
Camera:v3.2.26

ST16 Remote Firmware (EU) V03.01.b27
Downgrade Autopilot:v1.29 to fix the alt-limit

works without any problems for me.
I never had any problems before, and no problems with any update between.
My H is a Yuneec-Wonder :)

Reactions: Theo026 and Nuance
Typhoon H Firmware EU V3.01
Gimbal:v1.25,
Autopilot:v1.30
Camera:v3.2.26

ST16 Remote Firmware (EU) V03.01.b27
Downgrade Autopilot:v1.29 to fix the alt-limit

works without any problems for me.
I never had any problems before, and no problems with any update between.
My H is a Yuneec-Wonder :)

Cheers, but when altering GUI max height to more then 400 feet, can you fly higher? I appreciate you may not have tried but that is a restriction I want to avoid

An expression here in the USA goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I tend to follow that old adage to avoid unforeseen pitfalls in life. Go with what is known and proven to work and you can't go too wrong as a rule.

Reactions: yuneec53
...I don't intend to exceed this illegally but there are times when going above 400 feet may be required and can be done legally...
Really? I wasn't aware of any circumstances where it is legal to fly above 400ft on a Standard Permission in the U.K. Please will you clarify. I'd be very interested.

So yuneec USA emailed me the 1.28 reboot firmware. Did that then reformatted SD card reloaded 3.01 and now no blotching or trying to take back off after landings video strength I think is back just have to test distance. Flew great up to ceiling max so I'll try distance soon

Really? I wasn't aware of any circumstances where it is legal to fly above 400ft on a Standard Permission in the U.K. Please will you clarify. I'd be very interested.
I don't believe I said anything about standard permissions. I may have confused the issue by mentioning I had just got my commercial permission and this has got me using the H again.
So to clarify, I do not wish to limit myself to under 400 feet because non commercially in certain circumstances one can legally exceed 400 feet

Last edited:
I don't believe I said anything about standard permissions. I may have confused the issue by mentioning I had just got my commercial permission and this has got me using the H again.
So to clarify, I do not wish to limit myself to under 400 feet because non commercially in certain circumstances one can legally exceed 400 feet
Ahh. Right. You have a commercial standard permission, but you are talking about when you are doing recreational flights. I understand now.
Yes, you are correct.

Reactions: OnTheRopes
I was told by Yuneec the inability to change height in the GUI to above 400' was an error on their part and will be fixed in the next update.

Reactions: OnTheRopes
Why wait when you can request a waiver form, accept responsibility for your personal actions, and be provided software that removes the restrictions? Is there something wrong with accepting personal responsibility? That liability is what all these NFZ and height restrictions are all about, and at least Yuneec provides the users a means to bypass them. They are not there to protect the users from themselves, but to protect the manufacturers from impulsive and irresponsible actions of the users.

Why wait when you can request a waiver form, accept responsibility for your personal actions, and be provided software that removes the restrictions? Is there something wrong with accepting personal responsibility? That liability is what all these NFZ and height restrictions are all about, and at least Yuneec provides the users a means to bypass them. They are not there to protect the users from themselves, but to protect the manufacturers from impulsive and irresponsible actions of the users.
Not getting your point at all, as far as I am aware (correct me if I am wrong) the height restriction has nothing to do with NFZ it is a general software error? If I am flying in a NFZ I cannot see a need to exceed 400' anyway. As far as personal responsibility is concerned I fly completely responsibly and legally, but there have been so many issues that I have seen with firmware updates I have shied away from updating as mine works perfectly well apart from some of the latest features

Yes the height was an error. When I first got my H you could set the height to 1000 meters with the GUI . That was inadvertently changed with one of the updates.
I don't recommend flying at that height but in the mountains you could end up above 400' AGL . In the USA if you are flying non commercially and member of the AMA the 400' limit is a guideline not a law.

Yes the height was an error. When I first got my H you could set the height to 1000 meters with the GUI . That was inadvertently changed with one of the updates.
I don't recommend flying at that height but in the mountains you could end up above 400' AGL . In the USA if you are flying non commercially and member of the AMA the 400' limit is a guideline not a law.
I don't see I will have much need to exceed 400' it's just why restrict myself. In the UK you can fly to 1000' if not in restricted airspace and if flying FPV with a spotter, the spotter must maintain visual contact and the sUAV must be under 3.5kgs
Edit: and must be non commercial operation

There are two types of waivers, hobby and professional. The hobby level removes restrictions outside of a 1 mile radius of an airport, but still retains some restrictions within that radius. The question is; do you want to fly above 400', now, or not? Agreed, there is no legal requirement to remain below 400' inside the U.S. but I can certainly understand why a manufacturer might arbitrarily impose a height restriction in their firmware. Users have much too frequently and willingly demonstrated and publicized a level of irresponsibility that is beyond comprehension. A manufacturer has every right to protect themselves from impulsive, irresponsible, and illegal actions of people using their products.

Yuneec placing a height restriction on their firmware being in error or not is irrelevant if there is a means for people to remove it. If they elect not to take advantage of that means is a statement in and of itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin