Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Using WIFI Repeaters

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has had any experience using WIFI repeaters with a drone?

I work in IT, and though I know Wireless Access Points, I am not sure if you could use a repeater with a drone.

Since the Typhoon H is strictly flown via 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz WIFI for camera, telemetry etc. I thought it'd be interesting to ask this question.

What I would like to do is play with a telescopic pole and stand that you could place a POE wireless Access Point upon with three long range dual band 2.4 & 2.8 GHz antenna.

If you could successfully fly your drone and the repeater would not confuse it, you could actually use a 12 volt power source, and actually use two access points mounted on two telescopic poles a 100 meters apart from each other.

The range if this worked would theoretically be just short of amazing and I won't tell you how far I was able to fly it before I had to call it home status.

I suspect though the Typhoon wouldn't like this, nor would the controller.
But it'd be fun to experiment with, but no point in doing this if this is going to cause issues with the control of The Drone.

I am more or less new to RC flying, so please excuse my question if it is Naive and Silly.

That won't work, at least not for controlling the drone. The RC channel is on 2.4GHz because it is unregulated, not because it uses WiFi.

That won't work, at least not for controlling the drone. The RC channel is on 2.4GHz because it is unregulated, not because it uses WiFi.
I think the camera is the only signal tgis would work with...i agree.

Bill W.

If you got a amateur radio license you could set up a repeater that would do the job for you.
The repeater would pick up your signal and then rebroadcast it, But I think you would have problem with the necessary offsets to get it to work properly.
It would take some engineering but it could be done.

I think there is more than just rebroadcasting a signal. The ST16 and the camera have to be bound together. Looks like you would have to bind both to the repeater and I doubt that is possible. Adding range is a lot easier just by boosting the signal at both ends of the existing equipment.

Steve, I suspect that camera "binding" is merely the ST16 logging into the CGO's hotspot.

If you set up the access point in repeater mode logged onto the camera's network it might work. It'd be worth trying if for no other reason than "Because it's there."
In my humble opinion.

If I had my controller I'd give it a shot...

I think most transmitters use spread spectrum and frequency hopping to avoid issues with other devices interfering with their signal. Ordinary "wifi" doesn't allow for higher speed movement as does spread spectrum.
You would have to take that into consideration when building a repeater.
The lag on the signal would have to be nil.
Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The camera uses plain old 5.8g wifi, the aircraft/xmitter use 2.4g for control & telemetry.

The camera uses plain old 5.8g wifi, the aircraft/xmitter use 2.4g for control & telemetry.

I don't think it's just as easy as plain old 2.4 GHz wifi.. there are encryption algorithms besides the Fhss that allows for secure transmission to the craft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there is more than just rebroadcasting a signal. The ST16 and the camera have to be bound together. Looks like you would have to bind both to the repeater and I doubt that is possible. Adding range is a lot easier just by boosting the signal at both ends of the existing equipment.
Radio Operators have been doing it for years. The technology used is called "Spread Spectrum." There is a algorithm between the transmitter and the receiver so when interference is detected they will shift to an area that does not have interference. But ham radio operators have been doing this for years using a standard wireless routers with custom application software.

But to be honest if you can't see your aircraft it is pointless.

Last edited:
My bad. Thought we were talking about increasing video range. Need to read more closely...

Another complication is that as of the v3.0 firmware, control and telemetry can use 5GHz as well, for redundancy. The 2.4GHz band has better range, but it also has more interference. Setting up a high-powered AP could cause control and telemetry to shift to the band with less range.

Last edited:
Drone is supposed to have an 800 ft range out of the box. ... so plugging a wi-fi extender like you are suggesting will work.

so plugging a wi-fi extender like you are suggesting will work.
Citation needed.

For what it's worth, I've flown my stock THP with the ST16+ out to over one mile, with video and telemetry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval