Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Editing Software

Aww. I'm sorry CC Rider.. I am finding it easier for myself creating/editing on my mac.

I KNOW you are, I'm sure of it. How well I remember those days.

Macs are Macs, and that's just a fact. I got snookered into getting into PCs more than a year ago for business reasons and have since almost completely slid over into that platform. What a transition. Lots of getting used to new things and accepting stuff like a massive Windows 10 update taking control of your computer just as you're powering it on in a rush trying to email or print something out in a hurry. But I still have my 2014 Mac Book Pro that I love and a 27-inch iMac that hasn't been used in too long, along with several iOS devices. I used them to record and edit music and audio as well for graphics projects, having spent a portion of my life as a graphic artist and still keeping my hand in at.

For some reason it never even dawned on me to keep my Macs in the flow with my drone stuff. (Kicking myself right now even as we speak.) I've sunk a lot into PC-based hardware and software, but perhaps I need to reconsider my entire situation here. Hmm. Something to think about...

Ha ha ha! Milk AND icookies? Sounds like a deal! I tell you what, it wouldn't take much to make me do a turnaround real quick.

Thanks for the temptation - which just may work - and for bringing back my fond Mac memories. Good luck with your projects out in your part of the world and post some images of it sometime when you have the chance. I always enjoy seeing what others such as yourself are out there capturing. Take care and safe flying.

Windows 10 might control your computer (I prefer Windows 7) but Apple controls your pocket book. I started years ago with the Coleco Adam, then Atari, then Comador Amiga - for work it was the original Classic Mac, followed by the Lisa. What I didn't like about the Mac is the closed architecture. Over time, when my Amiga computer finally died, I transitioned to PC's. For what it costs for a Mac these days, I can build a much more powerful PC. That's the thing that keeps me using PC's. And with the money I have left over I can buy my own Mile and Cookies! LOL!

Reactions: CC Rider
Macs have always been the best for creative work but the prices are high and none of their software had been compatible with what you use at corporate locations. Even going from Android to Mac is a steep differences curve. But Macs are the best for video and graphics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CC Rider
I KNOW you are, I'm sure of it. How well I remember those days.

Macs are Macs, and that's just a fact. I got snookered into getting into PCs more than a year ago for business reasons and have since almost completely slid over into that platform. What a transition. Lots of getting used to new things and accepting stuff like a massive Windows 10 update taking control of your computer just as you're powering it on in a rush trying to email or print something out in a hurry. But I still have my 2014 Mac Book Pro that I love and a 27-inch iMac that hasn't been used in too long, along with several iOS devices. I used them to record and edit music and audio as well for graphics projects, having spent a portion of my life as a graphic artist and still keeping my hand in at.

For some reason it never even dawned on me to keep my Macs in the flow with my drone stuff. (Kicking myself right now even as we speak.) I've sunk a lot into PC-based hardware and software, but perhaps I need to reconsider my entire situation here. Hmm. Something to think about...

I was resistant to updating to Windows 10 because of how Microsoft tries to control every aspect of my computers and little home network. BUT, when installing Win10 on my new SSD, I rejected ALL of the options at the start of the process. Now, I'm happy how it worked out. Win10 is better at handling graphics than Win7. BTW, putting the operating system and program software on a 500 Gb SSD (<$200) was amazing. System starts & stops very rapidly and programs open almost instantaneously.

I certainly understand the time restraints but I'm be retiring from my career job in a couple months. From that point on I either get busy with the area work or get conscripted for yard work....

Congratulations on you upcoming retirement! Enjoy more time for flying and editing your videos. We'll expect to see lots of them. Do you have a YouTube channel?
A nice thing about retirement is being able to go out to fly when everyone else is at work, or travel in the off-season to good flying locations.

I was resistant to updating to Windows 10 because of how Microsoft tries to control every aspect of my computers and little home network. BUT, when installing Win10 on my new SSD, I rejected ALL of the options at the start of the process. Now, I'm happy how it worked out. Win10 is better at handling graphics than Win7. BTW, putting the operating system and program software on a 500 Gb SSD (<$200) was amazing. System starts & stops very rapidly and programs open almost instantaneously.

I gotta agree with you about what a difference an SSD makes, with either platform really. Dramatic difference that is worth the extra bucks in my mind.

Before I went PC my last Mac laptop came standard with a 250GB internal SSD, one of the first laptops to come with one as standard equipment. That drive and its speed spoiled me. When I shifted to PCs and made my first purchase, an HP desktop computer, it was back to a larger but much slower 1TB HDD that I really had to get used to. Found myself trying to open programs while Windows was still booting up. For business reasons I later had to get an Acer laptop dedicated to do one job only, and when it came time for me to get another laptop for daily use I just HAD to get one with an SSD as I never got used to the bootup time Windows requires.

Recently, to meet my long-term drone image storage needs (which mount up fast after every flight) and also to keep all of my media files in one place since the video editing software I use links back to the original file and its location as the source during editing and therefore cannot be moved, I got a very portable 1TB SSD external USB Samsung drive from Amazon for like $350. Superfast, lots of storage, and fast as lightning. Fits in your front pocket. Used in conjunction with my SSD-based Dell Inspirion laptop running the latest i7 chip set and a powerful graphics card, I have no problem rendering images, video editing, or doing what else needs to be done after capturing images with a drone and processing them.

Despite all of that, as PatR stated in his post and I have to agree with, "...Macs are the best for video and graphics." And yet, as SoCalDroner correctly and truly stated, the costs of buying Macs are a BIG consideration, too. Such high, hard-to-explain costs automatically take Macs out of the running for the majority of consumers choosing a computer platform to go with, regardless of whatever obvious benefits Macs may offer over their PC counterparts. The point of diminishing returns is reached early.

Oh but to live in a perfect world.

Macs have always been the best for creative work but the prices are high and none of their software had been compatible with what you use at corporate locations. Even going from Android to Mac is a steep differences curve. But Macs are the best for video and graphics.

Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) doesn't agree with you. :) They use HP Workstation Z820 with two intel Xeon E5-2687W processors, running at 3.1GHz each. That's a total of 16 cores. Just sayin' ;)

Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) doesn't agree with you. :) They use HP Workstation Z820 with two intel Xeon E5-2687W processors, running at 3.1GHz each. That's a total of 16 cores. Just sayin' ;)

I gotta say, like Johhny Carson used to say often on his old TV show (I'm dating myself now), "I did not know that!"

Congratulations on you upcoming retirement! Enjoy more time for flying and editing your videos. We'll expect to see lots of them. Do you have a YouTube channel?
A nice thing about retirement is being able to go out to fly when everyone else is at work, or travel in the off-season to good flying locations.

I don't put anything on YouTube, the end quality there sucks. I store some stuff, usually test videos, on Vimeo.

You can put enough money into almost anything and make it do what you want it to do. Apple provides support for that position as well. Unfortunately I have to divide up the resources for sundry things like house payments, medical insurance, and living expenses, and still have a wife that's a bit on the high maintenance side;) Those prevent me from doing all that would like to do.

Reactions: mcbutler
For light editing a Macbook Pro might be ok, for bigger projects or lots of projects, a PC will be the better option. Apple has not refreshed their Mac Pro in 4 years...

Anyone else tried Filmora? I've been looking for something that doesn't have a steep learning curve, will handle 4k, and is generally effective enough to allow quick editing and still look relatively good.

I gave the free trial version a go and thought it good enough to buy, which gets rid of the garish watermark. Since I'm committed I'm hoping to hear from others that have tried it that might warn of things to watch out for.

Thanks

Just don't get Sony. That is the worst software I ever used, and a waste of my money.

I went out and got Pinnacle. Seems to work pretty well. The other software I heard that works well is of course Adobe Premier, and Cyberlink

For light editing a Macbook Pro might be ok, for bigger projects or lots of projects, a PC will be the better option. Apple has not refreshed their Mac Pro in 4 years...

I am quite shocked they haven't updated their Mac Pro also! One would think they are refreshing their Mac Pro line to stay with the bleeding edge technology.

So, I bit the bullet and purchased my new editing platform. I am not a professional by any means, so I didn't go the Mac Pro route running dual GPU's.

I opted for the 27" iMac with 5K retina. I upgraded a few specs (From out of the box): 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz, 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM (I will upgrade the memory myself), 2TB Fusion Drive (I am hoping to have the best of both worlds with speed and capacity for a reasonable price), and upgrade to the AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB. It's not a super power-house, but it's no slouch also, which should fit my hobby editing with FCPX.

I had the Mac Pro Retina and yes, it was a remarkable machine. I can't quite bring myself to buy the new models though - too much glitz and not enough go. There's a company called Razer that do a similar machine (the Razer Blade), aimed at gamers. It looks like it might actually be quite good, though I've no strong desire to run Windows 10. On the floor next to me is my other machine - 24 cores, 96 gig ram and full RAID array :)

I found Lightworks a while ago and still like it. It's a full-on editor though, so the learning curve is terrifying. This video shows it in action - both editing the video and editing the video of me editing the video.

Thank you for sharing your video @Tuna! It's quite informative. The specs on your other machine is quite impressive!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio