Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Editing Software

Caution: Prior to the current iMac model it was very easy to supplement the memory on a 21.5" iMac by inserting additional memory modules. However, on the current 21.5" model (only) Apple no longer supports user memory upgrades - there are no longer externally accessible slots. The standard RAM is 8GB. If you're buying the 21.5" iMac, go for the extra bucks and get the 16GB version at time of purchase. On the other hand, the 27" iMac comes with 8GB RAM and can be user upgraded to 16GB or 32GB by adding SO-DIMM modules.

Ouch!! I made sure that I could upgrade the memory myself on my 27" iMac to save a bit of money. Thank you for sharing. Did you find out the hard way, or did you come across that from someone else?

Ouch!! I made sure that I could upgrade the memory myself on my 27" iMac to save a bit of money. Thank you for sharing. Did you find out the hard way, or did you come across that from someone else?
Widely publicized during release. Quickly forgotten after release. Came back to hurt after purchase :)

The hard way, unfortunately. But my local Apple store did offer to accept a return if I wanted to. I declined as this iMac was not purchased for memory-intensive applications. I have my own 27" that I upgraded to 32GM myself.

How does the editing feature in Photoshop CS6 compare to this software?

Windows 10 might control your computer (I prefer Windows 7) but Apple controls your pocket book. I started years ago with the Coleco Adam, then Atari, then Comador Amiga - for work it was the original Classic Mac, followed by the Lisa. What I didn't like about the Mac is the closed architecture. Over time, when my Amiga computer finally died, I transitioned to PC's. For what it costs for a Mac these days, I can build a much more powerful PC. That's the thing that keeps me using PC's. And with the money I have left over I can buy my own Mile and Cookies! LOL!
SECURITY - RELIABILITY windows and android are the most hacked, vulnerable, unstable, unreliable OS out there.
You can pick nits about how many cores etc. Fact is a MBPro deals with everything perfectly, reliably and cheaply (imovie software). And when your tired of it you will get a big wad of cash when you sell it. By which time if you had bought a 50 core windows machine you would be on your third one and spent countless hours Ctrl/Alt/Del stabbing.
You know its true, we all do.

I had the Mac Pro Retina and yes, it was a remarkable machine. I can't quite bring myself to buy the new models though - too much glitz and not enough go. There's a company called Razer that do a similar machine (the Razer Blade), aimed at gamers. It looks like it might actually be quite good, though I've no strong desire to run Windows 10. On the floor next to me is my other machine - 24 cores, 96 gig ram and full RAID array :)

I found Lightworks a while ago and still like it. It's a full-on editor though, so the learning curve is terrifying. This video shows it in action - both editing the video and editing the video of me editing the video.

I was told lightworks does not support 4k output??

Anyone else tried Filmora? I've been looking for something that doesn't have a steep learning curve, will handle 4k, and is generally effective enough to allow quick editing and still look relatively good.

I gave the free trial version a go and thought it good enough to buy, which gets rid of the garish watermark. Since I'm committed I'm hoping to hear from others that have tried it that might warn of things to watch out for.

Thanks

I use iSkysoft and find it to be relatively easy to use. I've used it for real estate aerial videos and have received know complaints about the finished quality.

Lots of FUD here, OS X is as vulnerable, unstable & unreliable just like any other OS.

If you buy good hardware, there is no reason Windows will not be as reliable as a Mac.

SECURITY - RELIABILITY windows and android are the most hacked, vulnerable, unstable, unreliable OS out there.
You can pick nits about how many cores etc. Fact is a MBPro deals with everything perfectly, reliably and cheaply (imovie software). And when your tired of it you will get a big wad of cash when you sell it. By which time if you had bought a 50 core windows machine you would be on your third one and spent countless hours Ctrl/Alt/Del stabbing.
You know its true, we all do.

Reactions: AxelsHumanDad
Lots of FUD here, OS X is as vulnerable, unstable & unreliable just like any other OS.

If you buy good hardware, there is no reason Windows will not be as reliable as a Mac.
Completely correct, windows run as a VM on a mac is perfectly stable and reliable, however there is no way you can match hardware yourself perfectly.
Mac architecture is restricted which avoids unsuitable add ons causing stability issues. It is designed completely around the OS run on it.
I have NEVER had a crash in 3 years.
OS does not require any sort of virus checker, In 3 years I have NEVER had an infection of any kind on my system or the previous one. I have just run an app to check this.
OS does not use a windows style registry, every key stroke, every programme added or deleted etc adds to this bloated mess resulting in slow downs and increasing errors as it develops.
And if thats not enough I have just this minute done a search for used MB Pro matching my spec and they are going for in excess of £1400!

I use Filmora and it is very good. Easy to use and works well for what I do. I recommend it. Plenty of features for the average video edit.
I think I will give that a road test. I have Cyberlink the photo learning curve is low, but video is complicated unless you spend hours learning it. And I only edit 1080p my old junker has no 4K. If you want Cyberlink updates it gets expensive, as well. Updated programs also mean more learning.

Change is a universal constant and we have to change to keep pace with the changes, so continuous learning is required.

Reactions: Mostbestus
Yep, it's true, but sometimes you just have to stick with something to be able to produce results. It's definitely worth scrutinizing one piece of software properly.

Reactions: JizzyGillespie
Change is a universal constant and we have to change to keep pace with the changes, so continuous learning is required.

Change for the sake of making $change$ is disruptive and counter productive. For example, MS office incessant product upgrades. 99% of MS Office users would be fine with Office 2007 and would not realize any benefit in being “required” to learn what minuscule changes took place.

Change for the sake of making $change$ is disruptive and counter productive. For example, MS office incessant product upgrades. 99% of MS Office users would be fine with Office 2007 and would not realize any benefit in being “required” to learn what minuscule changes took place.
I kind of agree. The adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' comes to mind. But that adage doesn't really wash especially when it comes to flying things. Preventative maintenance is key to safety...but that's from a hardware point of view. Regarding firmware the adage is more relevant. The number of times I've seen posts on here about updating issues are numerous. Problems introduced in to the system through updating is not uncommon when often any update was not needed at all in the first place causing down time (and even some crashes). The way I look at it is that if the aircraft is flying just fine on an older version of firmware then just leave it be. Since summer 2016 I've only updated my TH just once in February 2017 and that was only to resolve an issue with abnormally long times to get the camera connected (which did fix the problem). So I'm not on the latest March 2017 firmware. But since my aircraft is flying just fine I'm not gonna update it...not until I see a problem.

Same with software on a computer. Unless there is a major benefit in updating software (I leave virus protection out of this because that should be kept up to date) then I leave it well alone. For example, I have Office 2010 on my laptop and I haven't updated it knowingly...ever. It still corrects my bad spelling just fine. On this computer I have 'Open Office' and that hasn't been updated either. My video editor (Filmora) hasn't been updated since last year and that still allows me to make rubbish videos just as it has always done...updating Filmora won't make my videos any better, it's the person editing the video that is rubbish.

Does Filmora give any issues with downloading? I find my Eset Antivirus is very fussy about downloading from sites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece