Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video in gallery ST-16

Reaction score
I was foolish enough to loose the SD card from the CGO-3. So I searched for the vids in the local storage of the ST-16. I found them and copied them to my laptop (quite fast enough hardware, all ssd etcetera).

I was surprised to see the images are stored in abominable quality and it stutters just like it does when viewed on the ST-16. Thought that was just a ST-16 thing, having a bit simple hardware to play these large files.

Is this normal?

thanks.

I was foolish enough to loose the SD card from the CGO-3. So I searched for the vids in the local storage of the ST-16. I found them and copied them to my laptop (quite fast enough hardware, all ssd etcetera).

I was surprised to see the images are stored in abominable quality and it stutters just like it does when viewed on the ST-16. Thought that was just a ST-16 thing, having a bit simple hardware to play these large files.

Is this normal?

thanks.
The st16 records what it recieves from the cgo3+. However it is only in 720. It it studders...it records it that way.

Thank you for your hint.

Odd, though.
When flying and recording the image on the ST-16 is perfect and rock-solid. Only when viewing it afterwards it studders, which has been so ever since I bought it.

Is it possible that your focus on the flight causes you to not notice the stutter? When I fly fpv acro quads the picture looks fine, but later when I watch the video the picture has all kinds of camera roll, stutter, static, and distortion that I didn't even see during the flight.

Is it possible that your focus on the flight causes you to not notice the stutter? When I fly fpv acro quads the picture looks fine, but later when I watch the video the picture has all kinds of camera roll, stutter, static, and distortion that I didn't even see during the flight.

That is a real good hint as well, but since I often fly quite far away from the take-off I use to look at the screen a lot.

thanks

That is a real good hint as well, but since I often fly quite far away from the take-off I use to look at the screen a lot.

thanks
In the example I gave I'm wearing goggles and can't look away from the screen, but my focus is so tightly homed in on the flight itself that I do not noticed the bad video until later when I review the flight.

In the example I gave I'm wearing goggles and can't look away from the screen, but my focus is so tightly homed in on the flight itself that I do not noticed the bad video until later when I review the flight.

That is exactly what I meant to say, although I do not wear the goggles often.
Review studders, realtime is perfect.

The video on the ST-16 is FPV, which means that it will drop out occasionally as the radio signal varies. It's simply not possible to get 100% reliable video over a low power radio link. It's normal for all drones, including the Typhoon.

One reason you don't notice it is that the decoder that shows it on the screen as you fly is different from the one that decodes the video file. Video file decoders have a habit of filling 'unknown' areas in a solid block color (bright green!) and carrying the errors on from one frame to the next. So you get big 'flashes', then stutters then corruption. It's quite intrusive.

On the other hand the live decoder is a bit more tolerant of glitches and tends to leave the previous frame of video in place, which is a lot less noticeable. If you glance down, you won't see much wrong.

The difference comes from the fact that video files are designed for out of order playback - you can skip forward and backward at will - and the decoder is designed to cope with that sort of use, falling down if the file is not properly encoded. Real time streams are designed to be played only once, and the decoder expects that if things go wrong, there will be another frame coming along soon enough that will fix it.

If it's corrupt, it's corrupt - there's not much you can do about it. The FPV video is good enough for flight review (which is why my app uses it for flight uploads), but shouldn't be relied on for editing. I'm experimenting with something that will 'bridge the gap' between the CGO3+ onboard footage and the ST-16 files... watch this space ;)

Thank you.
Corrupt is corrupt and useless, indeed. I was referring to a maybe better encoder that drops less frames, to install on the ST-16 for the future.

Of course I follow your steps ahead with the toolbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33