Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Want to help make a better manual?

I don't have the talent to help you guys on this but respect you for doing it - so first thank you....
I would like to suggest that someone consider writing a good section on the use of the Realsense and specifically on the Indoor Positioning System. I'm not brave enough to try it (nor do I have a space big enough) but I think it should be documented on exactly how to use it for anyone that wants to.

Trisyuneec, had posted some directions that could be a starting point if it needs a quick start to that section.

p.s. I don't know what your final delivery method is going to be (free to members, paid app etc) - but if this was an APP for like 99 cents in the app store with the how too videos etc that may be a way to help cover costs or something. I don't recall reading what the "charter" for the final product was going to be so maybe thinking about that now, will help with how the document is built and what it can include (text only, video, etc)

I was actually playing with IPS today in a large area thats soon to become an indoor mini golf

also that name lead to nowhere. And for monitization, I was hoping not to. If I make Youtube How tos they may have advertising but who knows? I want it to be an open guide

I was actually playing with IPS today in a large area thats soon to become an indoor mini golf

also that name lead to nowhere. And for monitization, I was hoping not to. If I make Youtube How tos they may have advertising but who knows? I want it to be an open guide

Sorry this thread has this forum user in it commenting on his experience
Typhoon H indoor positioning sensor availability?

As for monetization. Not saying that you should, but rather that everyone that contributes knows what they are working for. If the quality is good. There is no shame in charging 99 cents on the App Store if it allows work to progress when new features are added and it needs updating. Even if run as a not for profit. Your guys call. I was just wondering.

Or engineering grad:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a freshman cyber security major. Not sure how I should feel lol

Sent from my Giant Robot Suit using Tapatalk Mech Edition

Reactions: PatR

Open a Vimeo account. There's no advertising stuffed over your work at Vimeo.

Open a Vimeo account. There's no advertising stuffed over your work at Vimeo.

YouTube only has advertisements if you choose to enable monetizing

Sent from my Giant Robot Suit using Tapatalk Mech Edition

Something for the new user to be aware of, even if using a quick start menu, is the critical need to calibrate the various systems. The process I use that is successful every time is as follows;

Calibrate the accelerometers by setting the H on a level surface that will not move during the calibration process. Level is not an absolute value but the more level the better. Once the calibration process has been initiated, do not touch the H until the process has fully completed.

Compass calibration works best when performed quickly. It should be completed in ~1 minute in order to be effective on the first attempt. The process will self "time out" if you are slow in performing it.

Calibrating the compass requires the H be in a location that is clear of metal objects. Do not calibrate close to a chain link fence, metal garage door, next to your car, or other potential magnetic influences. Turn off your cell phone or place it at a location a considerable distance away from where you will be performing the compass calibration.

Remove the gimbal and propellers from the H. DO NOT leave the gimbal attached to the H during compass calibration. The gimbal motors are not designed to function properly when the H is inverted, and there would be considerable centrifugal force applied to the gimbal during aircraft rotation.

Raise the motor arms and assure they have locked in position. With the front of the H pointing roughly north, initiate the calibration process. Wait for the system to fully enter the calibration state which can be confirmed by observing the lights under two opposing motor arm flashing rapidly. Hold the H by both of these arms and rotate (flip) the H around these arms several times (appx 3 rotations per pair of arms) until the flashing lights shift to a different pair of arms. Repeat this process until the H has been rotated around each set of arms with flashing lights. Should you fail to complete this process before completing all the arms, repeat the calibration process by exiting and re-entering the calibration menu. If you are slow you may have to repeat the process several times. To assist expediting the process you can invert the H and raise the landing gear using the gear switch, which provides more space between you and the H during the rotation process.

Once you have successfully completed compass calibration, re-attach the gimbal and camera to the , again place the H on a fixed level surface, and initiate the gimbal calibration process. Do not touch or move the H while the gimbal is calibrating.

System start up at the flying site;
  • If the propellers are not installed when arriving at the flight location, install them prior to turning on the H.
  • Point the front of the H into the wind for take off and landing.
  • Place the H at the location you intend to launch from prior to turning on the H.
  • Assure the motor booms have been raised and locked in place prior to turning on the H.
  • Verify the flight battery is fully inserted and latched securely into the H.
  • Turn on the ST-16 first, the H last.
  • DO NOT move the H during the boot up process. This is critical to assuring stable flight in hover.
  • After completing a flight and deactivating the motors, turn off the H first and the ST-16 last.
  • Allow the system enough time to acquire at least 8 satellites for both the H and the ST-16 before initiating flight. Check the satellite status on the screen of the ST-16. Aircraft count is on the left, ST-16 is at the top right.
  • If you choose to use Smart Mode, walk away from the H at least 30' and allow the system to fully complete the boot up process before touching any of the switches or control sticks.
  • Review all the switch and slider positions prior to take off to assure the H is in the flight state you desire.
  • Check the battery voltage displays on the ST-16 to assure batteries are charged to a level sufficient to conduct a safe flight prior to take off.
  • If using Smart Mode, remember the H will not come closer than approximately 30' of you. The 30' distance is inclusive of the vertical and horizontal planes.
  • When using Smart Mode the aircraft will not enter the "Safe Circle", a domed airspace area of roughly 30' over and around the operator. If the operator attempts to fly the H inside of the Smart Circle the H will not enter this space and may respond to control inputs differently than the operator intended. It is programmed to avoid the Safe Circle airspace radius and will react to control inputs commanding it to violate this space as it deems necessary to avoid the Safe Circle. If the operator attempts to walk closer to the aircraft when it is in Smart Mode the aircraft will move away from the operator in a direction that may be contrary to operator control inputs. It is up to the operator to maintain awareness of this area and programmed functionality when operating in Smart Mode.
  • If using Angle Mode, recognize the H can be flown into the operator should the operator apply improper control inputs. There are no programmed safe separation distances to protect the operator from themselves in Angle Mode.
  • In either flight mode, apply throttle smartly during take off, causing the H to ascend rapidly.
  • If taking off in Smart Mode, command the H to fly away from you to assure it achieves and maintains distance separation from the Safe Circle.
  • Use throttle in a manner that permits the aircraft to rise quickly to at least 8' to 10' of altitude, causing the aircraft to be clear of "ground effect" and propeller wash that is reflected from the ground. Ground effect will interfere with a stable hover if the hover is performed too close to the ground.
  • Explore and learn one flight mode or function at a time before moving to a different one. Your ability to safely and effectively use the H is totally dependent upon your comprehension of all the system functions and features. Each requires time and repetitive practice to become proficient.

Last edited:
Pat, do you have an opinion on waiting about 12 mins for the Typhoon to download a gps almanac after installation of new firmware before flying ?

Until someone flies a few motors out the life cycle is an unknown. Periodic motor checks will suffice for replacement cycle until some time periods are known. I'll be surprised if they make more than 50 hours.

Not sure about that - the Q500 motors here have done over 60 hours so far and still going strong.
The H is now on about 40 hours .... and yeah we have 5 batteries for each so we get to fly heaps.

:O)

If it's the first flight following a firmware update or hasn't been operated outside in clear view of the sky for a week or so it's reasonable to allow a little extra time after boot up for a good GPS solution. What that amount of time is I do not know, I allow a couple minutes extra and watch the satellite count increase over that period of time. I never have cause to be in a hurry.

Is 12 minutes enough, too much, or too little? Those are questions I don't have an answer for but I do know if the motors are not yet armed the voltage of that battery will only decrease a few tenths of a volt while you wait.

What I can say for certain is that using what I've provided consistently with different makes and models for the last few years may well be the reason I don't experience crashes, fly away's, or unstable aircraft. I'll toss in keeping the aircraft within a reasonable distance as another reason.

Last edited:
Not sure about that - the Q500 motors here have done over 60 hours so far and still going strong.
The H is now on about 40 hours .... and yeah we have 5 batteries for each so we get to fly heaps.

:O)

Good to know. Keep us updated as the time increases.

Just thought I'd weigh in on the motor life debate. In a brushless motor there isn't much to wear out so to speak, except bearings, i.e., no brushes. Some of us have over 700+ flights with helis showing no signs of failure or wear. EDF jets the same, and those usually peak out at 50,000 plus RPMs. I suppose magnets could degrade due to excess heat but I'd expect a bearing failure long before that. In my opinion with these motors, and if they're resonably good quality, they should exceed the life of the drone.

This however excludes failures due to manufacturing defects, like a magnet coming loose due to bad epoxy or cheap components. Personally I'm betting the prop mounts will wear out due to repeated prop removal long before these motors ever wear out.

I've personally never had a brushless motor fail, ever and I've been flying electric since the first Kyosho EP Concept came out with a brushed .05 motor with a six cell nicad pack. Electric outboard boats take a lot more abuse and I've never had one of those fail nor offroad buggies and trucks which are exposed to dust, dirt, stones, and water. I've only experienced one motor failure long ago due to worn out brushes but those were easily replaced. I've never had a bearing or bushing fail before the model was no longer flown. I kind of think this is a non issue.

Reactions: Dadjvs and sauerjc
Hey guys just wanted to say progress on the manual should increase soon. I had to cry about finals for a bit

Late nights, long days, Ramen, and finals. The plight of an advanced education student is daunting;)

Hey guys just wanted to say progress on the manual should increase soon. I had to cry about finals for a bit

Finals? That has such a touch of finality about it.:(

How's it going on the Manual, in your own opinion? I think it will ultimately be an indefinite project. As the manufacturer adds or changes software and hardware components, the Manual will need corresponding revision. Hmm...you're young.:D

I expect them to change the IPS (and RealSense) function soon. IPS is not now used as it should be. BTW, IPS on a RS Pro will prevent outside landing with the legs up, whether OA is on or off.

Looking good. :):):)

Finals? That has such a touch of finality about it.:(

How's it going on the Manual, in your own opinion? I think it will ultimately be an indefinite project. As the manufacturer adds or changes software and hardware components, the Manual will need corresponding revision. Hmm...you're young.:D

I expect them to change the IPS (and RealSense) function soon. IPS is not now used as it should be. BTW, IPS on a RS Pro will prevent outside landing with the legs up, whether OA is on or off.

Looking good. :):):)

I've been playing with IPS. Today even! It works ok but has some quirks.

Something for the new user to be aware of, even if using a quick start menu, is the critical need to calibrate the various systems. The process I use that is successful every time is as follows;

Calibrate the accelerometers by setting the H on a level surface that will not move during the calibration process. Level is not an absolute value but the more level the better. Once the calibration process has been initiated, do not touch the H until the process has fully completed.

Compass calibration works best when performed quickly. It should be completed in ~1 minute in order to be effective on the first attempt. The process will self "time out" if you are slow in performing it.

Calibrating the compass requires the H be in a location that is clear of metal objects. Do not calibrate close to a chain link fence, metal garage door, next to your car, or other potential magnetic influences. Turn off your cell phone or place it at a location a considerable distance away from where you will be performing the compass calibration.

Remove the gimbal and propellers from the H. DO NOT leave the gimbal attached to the H during compass calibration. The gimbal motors are not designed to function properly when the H is inverted, and there would be considerable centrifugal force applied to the gimbal during aircraft rotation.

Raise the motor arms and assure they have locked in position. With the front of the H pointing roughly north, initiate the calibration process. Wait for the system to fully enter the calibration state which can be confirmed by observing the lights under two opposing motor arm flashing rapidly. Hold the H by both of these arms and rotate (flip) the H around these arms several times (appx 3 rotations per pair of arms) until the flashing lights shift to a different pair of arms. Repeat this process until the H has been rotated around each set of arms with flashing lights. Should you fail to complete this process before completing all the arms, repeat the calibration process by exiting and re-entering the calibration menu. If you are slow you may have to repeat the process several times. To assist expediting the process you can invert the H and raise the landing gear using the gear switch, which provides more space between you and the H during the rotation process.

Once you have successfully completed compass calibration, re-attach the gimbal and camera to the , again place the H on a fixed level surface, and initiate the gimbal calibration process. Do not touch or move the H while the gimbal is calibrating.

System start up at the flying site;
  • If the propellers are not installed when arriving at the flight location, install them prior to turning on the H.
  • Point the front of the H into the wind for take off and landing.
  • Place the H at the location you intend to launch from prior to turning on the H.
  • Assure the motor booms have been raised and locked in place prior to turning on the H.
  • Verify the flight battery is fully inserted and latched securely into the H.
  • Turn on the ST-16 first, the H last.
  • DO NOT move the H during the boot up process. This is critical to assuring stable flight in hover.
  • After completing a flight and deactivating the motors, turn off the H first and the ST-16 last.
  • Allow the system enough time to acquire at least 8 satellites for both the H and the ST-16 before initiating flight. Check the satellite status on the screen of the ST-16. Aircraft count is on the left, ST-16 is at the top right.
  • If you choose to use Smart Mode, walk away from the H at least 30' and allow the system to fully complete the boot up process before touching any of the switches or control sticks.
  • Review all the switch and slider positions prior to take off to assure the H is in the flight state you desire.
  • Check the battery voltage displays on the ST-16 to assure batteries are charged to a level sufficient to conduct a safe flight prior to take off.
  • If using Smart Mode, remember the H will not come closer than approximately 30' of you. The 30' distance is inclusive of the vertical and horizontal planes.
  • When using Smart Mode the aircraft will not enter the "Safe Circle", a domed airspace area of roughly 30' over and around the operator. If the operator attempts to fly the H inside of the Smart Circle the H will not enter this space and may respond to control inputs differently than the operator intended. It is programmed to avoid the Safe Circle airspace radius and will react to control inputs commanding it to violate this space as it deems necessary to avoid the Safe Circle. If the operator attempts to walk closer to the aircraft when it is in Smart Mode the aircraft will move away from the operator in a direction that may be contrary to operator control inputs. It is up to the operator to maintain awareness of this area and programmed functionality when operating in Smart Mode.
  • If using Angle Mode, recognize the H can be flown into the operator should the operator apply improper control inputs. There are no programmed safe separation distances to protect the operator from themselves in Angle Mode.
  • In either flight mode, apply throttle smartly during take off, causing the H to ascend rapidly.
  • If taking off in Smart Mode, command the H to fly away from you to assure it achieves and maintains distance separation from the Safe Circle.
  • Use throttle in a manner that permits the aircraft to rise quickly to at least 8' to 10' of altitude, causing the aircraft to be clear of "ground effect" and propeller wash that is reflected from the ground. Ground effect will interfere with a stable hover if the hover is performed too close to the ground.
  • Explore and learn one flight mode or function at a time before moving to a different one. Your ability to safely and effectively use the H is totally dependent upon your comprehension of all the system functions and features. Each requires time and repetitive practice to become proficient.

Nicely done PatR ... however I was wondering when you are explaining about the compass calibration is there a particular direction that you rotate the craft, left or right, before you spin it ?? I've noticed in the instruction videos from Yuneec they always rotate it to the left, not sure if it even matters. Also is there a particular direction to spin the craft, forward or backward, I noticed the video shows forward. Again, not sure if this matters or if I'm being a bit out of place asking ... stupid in other words ;)

Nicely done PatR ... however I was wondering when you are explaining about the compass calibration is there a particular direction that you rotate the craft, left or right, before you spin it ?? I've noticed in the instruction videos from Yuneec they always rotate it to the left, not sure if it even matters. Also is there a particular direction to spin the craft, forward or backward, I noticed the video shows forward. Again, not sure if this matters or if I'm being a bit out of place asking ... stupid in other words ;)

If you mean when they do the front flip, you turn it so the two lit leds face forward then flip forward

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval