Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

War on Drones

Looks like the press put all this in a bad light, not surprised. Never look at the glass as half-full, always half-empty, fueling the general hysteria.

Any response from the faker?
His response to my comment on his page was:

Dude, it looks like every drone ever. Think what you want, Martin :)

So, didn't exactly deny it was his drone or that the picture is fake, but also not aware that there are other makes of drones in the world :rolleyes:

I just got sent the link to the Dropbox file for the video of the drone. I have to say it is very compelling what I have seen so far. If this footage is edited, it's pretty good. I believe it is genuine, but the question still remains, is the drone his? I feel it still may be as someone would have reported the drone operator to some news agency somewhere to verify it. I do understand that rare photos do happen, but this still has an odd odor to it. I will post a link to my Dropbox when I get the complete file loaded for others to view. I am still waiting on the original image to look at the meta data.

The distance between the drone and lava hose is quite far. The drone is a lot closer to the camera than the drone, so this is giving an illusion that the drone was next to the hose. I have watched other videos of the hose showing a tour boat in the water. These videos show the size of the hose compared to the boat, it's quite large. If the drone was closer, it would have appeared very small and been hit by debris. The lens used to take the original still was a 600mm which I suspect is the same one in the video clip. I have owned 600mm and they are quite amazing at what they are able to capture. I think the real and final proof is going to be the meta data from the still. As it stands though, I still feel the video is authentic. I have a few filters to run it through yet.

I just got sent the link to the Dropbox file for the video of the drone. I have to say it is very compelling what I have seen so far. If this footage is edited, it's pretty good. I believe it is genuine, but the question still remains, is the drone his? I feel it still may be as someone would have reported the drone operator to some news agency somewhere to verify it. I do understand that rare photos do happen, but this still has an odd odor to it. I will post a link to my Dropbox when I get the complete file loaded for others to view. I am still waiting on the original image to look at the meta data.
Hmm. Yes, the video footage does look authentic I have to admit, but this still leaves the possibility that the drone was his and he set the shot up.
Most of us have taken video of our own drones in flight, I know I have done, so...

Reactions: Murray Martz
Here is the link to the video file. Please note that this link will only be available till tomorrow night.
Dropbox - Drone vs Volcano.mov

It's definitely fake... if you watch the drone, there are no shadows when it moves, also, the dust and fallout would cover it... two films superimposed on one another. Badly done too.. lol

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Did you also notice the lighting never changes and there is not even a hint of altitude change.

I just showed the video to wife and she said "Fake as all get out".

It's definitely fake... if you watch the drone, there are no shadows when it moves, also, the dust and fallout would cover it... two films superimposed on one another. Badly done too.. lol
Why would there be shadows as it moves, the drone is a long way from the lava hose. And the debris is also a long way away.

The lighting would not change with the drone being closer to the camera than the lava hose.

True Murray,

Except for one aspect... it appears some of the debris plumbs actually engulf the drone, or the image of the drone. The video seems like it fizzles at those points. If the craft was out of harms way, we should see the plumbs behind the drone but never overwhelming the image.

To me, that is the giveaway if there is a tell. That's what my photographic background is telling me, anyway.

Jeff

Reactions: ThunderChicken
True Murray,

Except for one aspect... it appears some of the debris plumbs actually engulf the drone, or the image of the drone. The video seems like it fizzles at those points. If the craft was out of harms way, we should see the plumbs behind the drone but never overwhelming the image.

To me, that is the giveaway if there is a tell. That's what my photographic background is telling me, anyway.

Jeff
A sure fire way is to run it through color filters to see what is going on. I ran the video with VLC as slow as I could and saw the same thing, but the steam clouds are being driven with the wind as well. I'm going to study it more tomorrow night. The photographer is being pretty accommodating by giving me access to the file. Usually if someone has something to hide, there is no way they are going to give me what I am asking for, knowing I am looking to see if it is modified or not. I still don't have the original still as yet, but working on that. Remember, I am not defending him, just wanting to validate or disprove.

Reactions: FlushVision
...<snip>... The photographer is being pretty accommodating by giving me access to the file. Usually if someone has something to hide, there is no way they are going to give me what I am asking for, knowing I am looking to see if it is modified or not. I still don't have the original still as yet, but working on that. Remember, I am not defending him, just wanting to validate or disprove.
If I'd have doctored footage to put something into a bad light and someone asked for the file that was clearly looking to see if the footage had been tampered with, I'd try my best not to give access. As I've said before, having seen the footage I'm of the opinion (now) that it is genuine. That is not to say that the circumstances surrounding it is genuine: the fact that the photographer also happens to own a drone similar to the one in the video (and picture) and that the photographer, when asked by the media, said words to the effect that drones are bad is in my mind telling.

The footage may be genuine but it could still be his drone he photographed.

The following is a blown up and cropped area of the drone and the lava hose. To the right of the drone on the lava hose it is evident that the area has been "Smudged" to remove detail. Also notice the shadows of the debris flying up and the shadows cast by it and there is no shadow of the drone. It still is a fake.
fakedrone.jpg

Reactions: BrightonBlue
That video looks pretty authentic to me but don't be fooled by the zoom lens compression used in the shot. That pilot is no where near that lava tube, hence probably not flying illegally any more than this kid is trying to grab that church steeple which is also an authentic photo which isn't shopped. Using that shot to say that pilot was flying illegally to further an agenda is as disingenuous as using the shot below to say a really big kid is attacking that church.

1443500058-coichungnhinnham--138-.jpg

The following is a blown up and cropped area of the drone and the lava hose. To the right of the drone on the lava hose it is evident that the area has been "Smudged" to remove detail. Also notice the shadows of the debris flying up and the shadows cast by it and there is no shadow of the drone. It still is a fake.
View attachment 5985
No shadow of the drone on the lava as the drone was not that close to it. The drone was closer to the camera. If the drone was close enough to cast a shadow, the drone would be toast from the heat....batteries drained, thermals causing it to wobble and or lose lift. Still no credible evidence to disprove the video. I have been looking at it frame by frame for the past couple of hours. And the is no evidence of smudging the photo, as I have not posted the file yet, so you are looking at a smaller version of the original. I have done everything I can to try and disprove the footage, but there just is no way to do it. As they said in the X-Files.....I want to believe.

The grain of the photo changes when some one smudges an area. Cloning an area or using the "Red eye" removal will do that.
I also find it too convenient that all of the links to the video are now "404" bad links. There was another area of the video which would have negated your claim that the drone was not close enough to cast a shadow on the lava hose. Some of the debris that is shown air borne comes between the camera and the drone.
Sorry Murray, it is faked.

I'll have to step through that again because when I looked at it the last time, I would have sworn all of the debris was behind the drone. If as you say, some of the debris is between the drone and the camera as well as behind as I observed, then to fake the video was much more involved than compositing a drone image over the video, you would have to create masks for some of the debris etc.. As far as the 404 message, Murray Martz indicated the drop box link would only be available until Monday evening, i.e. the following evening from when it was posted which was Sunday evening.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval