Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Warning Re: Switching from Non GPS to GPS w/ new firmware

Have you tried switching to GPS whilst stationary? It really sounds odd to want to do it whilst you're actively moving. How is the H meant to know where you intend it to go?

I'm afraid in my case it was not "instant" on a dead calm day on turtle setting.. and prior to firmware update it flew calmly as well as with new fireware in Non GPS but it's the switching from Non GPS to GPS which caused erratic flying for several seconds and in manifested in two completely different ways on the two attempts...the first time it excellerated dramatically for 40 to 60 feet, the second time
it climbed vertically and came down vertically three or four times before it settled in. It could just be mine but everything was calibrated but it was recently factory repaired for water damage.
Well to be honest at the speeds mine was traveling at 40-60 feet would have gone unnoticed, but I had the impression I got full control just after I tapped out of the option, 40-60ft seems like a lot with no wind and turtle settings.

Have you tried switching to GPS whilst stationary? It really sounds odd to want to do it whilst you're actively moving. How is the H meant to know where you intend it to go?
Yes the second time it was more or less stationary, and less dramatic than when I was slowly moving laterally and got high speed when switching but being stationary resulted in vertical movement up and down 4 times before settling. I essentially tried it both with mild motion and being stationary.

Well to be honest at the speeds mine was traveling at 40-60 feet would have gone unnoticed, but I had the impression I got full control just after I tapped out of the option, 40-60ft seems like a lot with no wind and turtle settings.
I had visions of the various old Phantom fly away videos while it was happening...very odd...and as I've said I guess I'm the only one this has happened to, but I wanted to bring it up in the hope that it might save a newbie from an expensive repair if they didn't know how to react to that rapid change of behavior scenario.

Hey off topic but MWEIR, what Island are you on in Ireland, I had a wee thatched cottage on Loughros Point, Ardara, County Donegal for ten years and made it out to a few Islands...I plan on going to Fanad Head one of these days and stay in the lighthouse
and fly there.

I guess no one else has had this issue, so next week I'll see with two other H's if I get the same results.

Try it in or near rabbit mode and see what happens. I am not sure but if the rabbit/turtle mode dial is actually changing the flight controller PID settings in the firmware, this may have an effect on how it tries to return to the GPS position at the point of switching back to GPS mode. Just a thought:)

Hey off topic but MWEIR, what Island are you on in Ireland, I had a wee thatched cottage on Loughros Point, Ardara, County Donegal for ten years and made it out to a few Islands...I plan on going to Fanad Head one of these days and stay in the lighthouse
and fly there.
I'll PM

Try it in or near rabbit mode and see what happens. I am not sure but if the rabbit/turtle mode dial is actually changing the flight controller PID settings in the firmware, this may have an effect on how it tries to return to the GPS position at the point of switching back to GPS mode. Just a thought:)
That is a great idea? When I'm ready to switch back to GPS I will first switch to rabbit mode while it's just hovering and see if it
switches more quickly and smoothly...thanks for the idea. I will try it next weekend when I return home

I've been out testing the new firmware updates for ST16 and also the H and in particular the ability to switch from GPS to Non GPS while flying. I was in a small open field for the test and only did it twice each time when switching back into GPS from Non GPS it caused the H to act strangely. This was all done with "Turtle" setting. Winds were dead calm with partly cloudy skies.

1. The first time I switched back from Non GPS to GPS while moving sideways at no greater a speed than
5 to 8 mph it shot across the field at about 25 to 30 mph for about 40 ft. I'm not sure why it stopped after that distance either my stick activity or it found where it liked to be in GPS.

2. The second try it moved vertically up and down about three or four feet with slight drift and then settled back into GPS.

When in Non GPS it flew very smoothly and going from GPS to Non GPS was not problematic, it merely resulted in a slow drift due to momentum.

Next week when I have time to return for more testing I'm going to a much larger field and testing so I can
try and see what produces the variance in it's behavior when switching from Non GPS to GPS. I hope others chime in on their experiences. I will also test with another H and H Pro. To see how behavior varies with three different drones. Perhaps my flight logs will reveal something as well. Another explanation could be the factory serviced repair I had done after the H took a dip in a glacial stream in Iceland perhaps it's still got some issues from that episode.

If your inexperienced at flying without GPS I would also use a large field to test how yours performs or not do it at all.
Hi I had update my firmware but I do not know how to off the GPS

It might be an idea to have the H stationary and on the ground when re-acquiring GPS. To have a moving platform attempt to get a position lock on a group of moving satellites just doesn't seem the best way to go about it. The circular error of precision has to be all over the map.

As for battery use, it makes absolute sense that as speed increases so then does energy consumption. I'm curious about something, though. If GPS was not functioning, what was used to establish the speed of the aircraft?

GPS never shuts down. It is just a flight mode choice to fly based on GPS or not. Hence the reason it is instantaneous when you switch in and out of it so no re-acquiring of sats.

Hi I had update my firmware but I do not know how to off the GPS
Go to GPS CALIBRATION on the right hand side of the screen and touch it...it will say On...touch to (right or left I can't remember
and it will reveal "Off" touch that and it is "off" until you touch "On" again

with GPS off and at ~2300' I was able to get 64mph to display on the screen and I think I was actually going that fast or close to it because I was keeping up with cars on the highway. It would only go back into GPS mode after I got down to 1000' alt and back with in 4500' distance. Turning off GPS will save me next time I get the toilet bowl effect!

Has anyone seen documentation supporting that going back to GPS {On} after turning it off mid-flight is indeed supported? I'm not saying its not. I'm just asking if it is.

Much of this behavior sounds like a craft trying to find the ground and a new "home" position in mid-flight.

I can certainly appreciate wanting to go back to "comfort" (GPS {On}) mode in mid-flight, but I can think of ten reasons why I wouldn't support it if I were Yuneec., liability not being the least of the list.

I have just tested the GPS off... Scary to begin... but in fact there is no problem at all. Drifting of course but easy to control. I was scared about the altitude, but in fact the GPS doesnt deal with that.
84 kmh for my first test (going against a small breeze). But after 2 minutes, battery alert (what ????), I turned the GPS on and landed immediatly (you never know) without any problem.
So I would say, the non GPS flight is really not for profesionnal pilot only ! I would just like to understand what is the impact on the battery.

I would just like to understand what is the impact on the battery.

Me too, my battery almost dropped flat after 10 seconds .

Watch out for the battery too, I've just switched it off in windy conditions flying downwind. After 15 seconds, saw the speed was 93kph, then 103kph, (64mph) decided 103kph was maybe a bit risky, switched back on GPS, immediately the battery waring came on, it was only up for about 5 mis from before. I would have thought no GPS = less battery use, but maybe at higher speeds fighting more stay level in windy conditions and drinking more juice?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox