Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Weird action by bird

Reaction score
It may be that this odd action has been experienced by other Q owners.

I was flying at a place known as Sunset Rock.

It is a high west facing overlook point popular as a vantage point.

It has a small parking area aside from the road, it is accessed by a single lane that loops around a large rock standing about 65' high at the roadside.

As I returned to land beside my vehicle the bird cleared the chasm and flew above the parking area and I reduced the speed to turtle mode, at the same moment it began to sashay, that is swing crazily rocking side to side violently, so badly I feared it was going to come down on it's side.

Just as suddenly it leveled off and climbed vertically extremely fast despite me holding the left control stick down.

it climbed to about 55' before hovering for perhaps two or three seconds, long enough for me to think I had lost it and was about too see it fly off over the distant horizon, then just as suddenly it responded and descended to land without a problem.

What happened!

I convince myself it was an updraught or something but there was barely two mph of wind.

I am extremely puzzled.

Anyone else experienced such odd behaviour?

It may be that this odd action has been experienced by other Q owners.

I was flying at a place known as Sunset Rock.

It is a high west facing overlook point popular as a vantage point.

It has a small parking area aside from the road, it is accessed by a single lane that loops around a large rock standing about 65' high at the roadside.

As I returned to land beside my vehicle the bird cleared the chasm and flew above the parking area and I reduced the speed to turtle mode, at the same moment it began to sashay, that is swing crazily rocking side to side violently, so badly I feared it was going to come down on it's side.

Just as suddenly it leveled off and climbed vertically extremely fast despite me holding the left control stick down.

it climbed to about 55' before hovering for perhaps two or three seconds, long enough for me to think I had lost it and was about too see it fly off over the distant horizon, then just as suddenly it responded and descended to land without a problem.

What happened!

I convince myself it was an updraught or something but there was barely two mph of wind.

I am extremely puzzled.

Anyone else experienced such odd behaviour?
I have several Yuneec products and what your describing reminds of your bird going into RTH due to low battery,I have experienced the same thing but that was after the warnings,vibration,buzzing etc.

Can I assume you were "Not" flying in Smart Mode? and trying to land within the 26' circle of death?If you were by intention or accident, it sounds like it was trying to get 26' away from you. I am not a Yuneec expert. But if you were near a car trying to land, that is exactly how my Phantom's have reacted to being brought down near my car, especially if my Son is it it blasting the radio and on his wifi phone? Just my 2 cents !

Thanks for the suggestions.
I was in angle mode and the battery was fine, 11.7v as I was only up bout 6 mins.
It started around 15 feet above and a little to the west of the car a it cleared the treetops in the drop off and crossed into the parking area.
Neve thought of the metal of the car interfering but could have been
It did seem like it wanted to do it's own thing, went straight up.
Hmmm

Thanks for the suggestions.
I was in angle mode and the battery was fine, 11.7v as I was only up bout 6 mins.
It started around 15 feet above and a little to the west of the car a it cleared the treetops in the drop off and crossed into the parking area.
Neve thought of the metal of the car interfering but could have been
It did seem like it wanted to do it's own thing, went straight up.
Hmmm
WoW ! battery was 11.7 volts ! That's way way too low! Supposed to land at about 14.3 max battery levels, now I bet it was trying to land/go to home point due to critical low battery. Just my feelings! did you fully charge the battery? Cause after 6 minutes my batteries read like 15.7 volts after a full charge and 6 minutes of flying?

WoW ! battery was 11.7 volts ! That's way way too low! Supposed to land at about 14.3 max battery levels, now I bet it was trying to land/go to home point due to critical low battery. Just my feelings! did you fully charge the battery? Cause after 6 minutes my batteries read like 15.7 volts after a full charge and 6 minutes of flying?
Your voltage readings have me curious?

Your voltage readings have me curious?

H uses 4 Cell Pack type LIPO, look where 11.7 is ?

lipoly-voltage-vs-state-of-charge-2s-6s-packs-jpg.627

Doh!
It is 3S
Fully charged I have 12.60, I bring it in around 11.40 which I believe is about 40%
When I brought it in I would have guessed 11.7 at around 80%
I would understand the behavior had it been in smart or RTH but I know it wasn't
???

Last edited:
That's what I just discovered. The original post to this thread was about a Q. When I saw your reading I thought you were talking about a Q as well.

Reactions: DroneClone
Hola amigo, he tenido una experiencia similar con mi 4k Q500 Yuneec, cuando me disponía a aterrizar el avión no tripulado comenzó a perder estabilidad y colapsado desde una altura de 150 pies, aparentemente se debe al fenómeno de VRS (ESTADO torbellino anular), que se ha sucedido en unos tres vuelos y comienza con una extraña a la rodadura y comenzar un rápido descenso que a veces se detiene porque dejamos la condición de VRS y retoma cuadricóptero altura. Desafortunadamente no hablo Inglés y es factible que la traducción no es la mejor. Saludos desde Colombia,

In the following links you can see the video of the flight and telemetry data
Telemetry_00027.csv vuelo 1 mayo29.mp4 29 de mayo Celular crashh3.mp4

Last edited:
You flew very very close to high tension power lines and were right on top of them when you lost control, never fly above or even near cell tower. microwave towers and for sure high tension power lines! Sorry! No habla espanol !

Hola amigo, he tenido una experiencia similar con mi 4k Q500 Yuneec, cuando me disponía a aterrizar el avión no tripulado comenzó a perder estabilidad y colapsado desde una altura de 150 pies, aparentemente se debe al fenómeno de VRS (ESTADO torbellino anular), que se ha sucedido en unos tres vuelos y comienza con una extraña a la rodadura y comenzar un rápido descenso que a veces se detiene porque dejamos la condición de VRS y retoma cuadricóptero altura. Desafortunadamente no hablo Inglés y es factible que la traducción no es la mejor. Saludos desde Colombia,

In the following links you can see the video of the flight and telemetry data
Telemetry_00027.csv vuelo 1 mayo29.mp4 29 de mayo Celular crashh3.mp4

Translated:
Hello friend, I have had a similar experience with my 4k Q500 Yuneec, when I wanted to land the drone began to lose stability and collapsed from a height of 150 feet, apparently due to the phenomenon of RSV (turmoil STATE ring), which it has happened in about three flights and begins with a strange rolling and start a rapid decline that sometimes stops because we VRS condition and takes quad to height. Unfortunately I do not speak English and it is feasible that the translation is not the best. Greetings from Colombia,

Es pro
You flew very very close to high tension power lines and were right on top of them when you lost control, never fly above or even near cell tower. microwave towers and for sure high tension power lines! Sorry! No habla espanol !
Gracias por el comentario, es factible que se deba a eso, cual es la recomendación de distancia de vuelo con respecto a las lineas de alta tensión?
El día de ayer realice un nuevo vuelo con mi Q500 y volvió a caer, las lineas de alta tensión se encontraban a 300 metros de distancia del sitio de caida del drone y a 350 metros de la emisora st-10, dejo el link del vuelo. todo el trayecto en modo angle.

Este es el link de Exmaps para visualizar el comportamiento durante el vuelo:
Telemetry_00002.desmarc1.csv

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval