Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Well, It Finally Happened

Reaction score
I guess it was just a matter of time.

After weeks of watching every move I make and being extra careful with everything Typhoon, I blew it today...a little. Not too bad, really. I mean, it could have been a whole lot worse.

I've been stuck inside grounded by days of poor, crappy weather, just aching to get out there. Being self-employed, I've about burnt through having enough alone time or time with tenants to conduct business, and was eager to get out flying again. But for the last 2 days I've been very stuck inside as local coastal flooding - not on my land but on the roadways granting me egress and ingress to my homesite - surrounded me and left me nowhere to go in all of this stormy weather we've been having. This morning a break in the weather came, and I thought I could finally get a flight in.

I waited for low tide to hit the coast so the roadways would be water free, then drove the short distance from my home to my family's land business site to do some storm assessments. (We rent land to people to build their homes on as well as farm it, too.) A few years ago we put in an emergency gravel access road to our community for our tenants to use during floods which runs through the heart of our corn and soybean fields. Because of all of the days of raining and flooding, the emergency road had been heavily used - abused, really - by mostly former city drivers who don't know any better than to drive full speed on a small, simple gravel country road, rutting it up and destroying it in 2 days.

Ah ha! I thought. I'll film the length of the messed up flood road with my Typhoon H to document the road damage that we will now have to spend time and money on to get it back into shape and be usable again. So I powered up the H, started my pre-flight routine, and suddenly got interrupted by a tenant driving down the flood road who stopped me to ask some questions about the drone. I was distracted and I knew it, mumbled something to him, then hastily got back to what I was doing, but I was off my bead and I knew it. I remembered to double check the winds, which were relatively high, and the Hover App on my iPhone read CAUTION in large letters, citing winds approaching 20 mph. I pulled out my handheld wind unit and measured about 17 mph, plenty safe for the H, I thought.

So I hastily pulled my launch mat into quick position - too close to the road and I knew it - situated the H on it, backed up a little - less than I normally do, and I knew it - and then hit the red button. I had it up about 3 feet off the ground when it began wobbling, veering off, and pitching. I instantly tried regaining control of it, and I did get a little, enough to land it quickly at least but not enough to power down the rotors before the Typhoon tipped just enough for one propellor to blow into smithereens striking the ground.

Everything was Kool and the Gang. No major damage at all to speak of. But a LOT of lessons to learn from.

First, I was rushing myself to get out and up as quickly as possible and did not have my head totally engaged in the game at hand, by which I mean that all-important prep time required by every pilot before flying a drone, however long that time may be for the individual. Second, I knew I was off my routine, off my mark, had been distracted by the tenant who approached me in the field, and should've just stopped to regroup, but I didn't take the extra time to do it, a decision which often leads to mistakes creeping in. And boy did I make one as I quickly discovered.

Once I tested out the rotors sans props and knew all was fine and well with my H, I recapitulated upon what had happened to pin down the cause of this event. First I thought perhaps it was prop wash as I did hover longer and lower in place than usual for me right after takeoff. Next I thought perhaps it was a sudden, untimely strong gust of wind that had grabbed my Typhoon out of my unsuspecting fingers. But then I looked at the ST16 in my hands and saw the Flight Mode toggle switch......stuck in the dreaded Smart Mode position! I obviously had somehow flipped it to Smart Mode by accident while talking to the tenant and had not double-checked the switch was correctly thrown before powering up my H.

The H's never-before-seen-by-me antics of very low altitude dancing, wobbling, veering off and eventually tipping over and blowing a prop were totally my own fault, brought about by me forgetting ONE cardinal rule that trumps all other rules at takeoff. And it does not matter that I have not forgotten so many times in the past to takeoff in Angle Mode only. In the real world with consequences, all that matters is that I forgot to do it this ONE time. I am so lucky I did not suffer much more damage than I did as I approached my initialized H in Smart Mode with the ST16 in my hand, violating it's sacrosanct safe circle zone. A few lessons learned by - and reinforced to - me on the cheap.

A good lesson for all of us, except for those who never admit to personal mistakes.
The distraction part I believe happens a lot, but our conscious mind usually claims that we are still in control.
Thanks.

I tend to always fly from a chair. I have a REI camp chair I bring and setup. This essentially forces me to regroup when I actually sit, hold the controller and do the final check on the control levers and assess the blinking colors on the H. It also gives me a moment to breath and visualize the flight I have in mind. I have disciplined myself to recognize if I don't have enough time (or energy) to set the chair and clear a take off site and then sit and do final checks, to pick up and head home.

Glad the H was damaged very little!

Reactions: Steve Carr
That makes good sense to me. That's the correct approach. Clear headed, unhurried, and knowing you are in your element instead of being out of your comfort zone. I hadn't considered a chair!

Yes, I got off with minimal damage, just losing the one prop and a bit of pride, too, standing out like that looking silly with a fairly new wonky drone at my feet in the middle of the field. I've read of and seen others making the same mistakes I did but with MUCH worse consequences. I'd say I got off light!

Thanks for sharing and I am glad to hear you got off pretty lightly. One broken prop is a small price to pay. Not sure about the pride - I lost that a long time ago - LOL
Let's hope this thread is read by everyone and that every one of us understands and appreciates just how easily and quickly things can go wrong.

I haven't flown my H now in over a fortnight (due to crappy weather - wind and rain) and I know that the familiarity I had with my preflight won't be as strong. I plan to spend a little longer than normal with my preflight on the next flight.

On a side note, I share your annoyance with the comment about people not knowing how to drive in wet conditions. I have spent the majority of my life living and working in remote locations with at least 5-6 months of each year being 'wet'. If people knew how to drive accordingly, there would be far less road damage and far less accidents.

Reactions: CC Rider
Good read, great lesson learned. If permitted to make a suggestion i have just one. When taking off, do so with alacrity, clearing the ground quickly and gaining at least 10' of altitude. Your H will handle 25mph+ wind with ease but getting clear of ground turbulence is very important.

Glad it all worked out and really appreciate your willingness to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I thought others may profit from my experience.

You are 100% right about my takeoff, too. I did EVERYTHING wrong all at once it seems. I know better than to diddle about immediately after takeoff, but that is exactly what I did, one of a chain reaction of things that I believe started when I did not regain my flight focus after talking with that fellow who stopped by to chat. I did not stick to my flight list and kinda went on autopilot. Correction: bad autopilot.

Tonight I printed out the flight list that this forum offers specifically for the Typhoon H, copied it at 50% on heavy stock paper, and made 2 copies of it, cut to size to slide in my front shirt pocket ready to go. I'm not going out there unprepared ever again.

Funny thing, aviation incidents. If you ever study aviation accident reports you'll find something common to all of them. They all start with a singular event or condition that by themselves are not a big problem. It's the series of actions or events that follow that combine to establish the end result. Like links in a chain. Break any link in that chain and the incident would not occur. What we do is no different, as you learned.

Funny thing, aviation incidents. If you ever study aviation accident reports you'll find something common to all of them. They all start with a singular event or condition that by themselves are not a big problem. It's the series of actions or events that follow that combine to establish the end result. Like links in a chain. Break any link in that chain and the incident would not occur. What we do is no different, as you learned.

To rephrase :
'Funny thing, relationships incidents .... all start with a singular event or condition ... ' could be my love life.

Thanks for sharing and sorry for your mis-adventure. Its a good reminder for me to keep my focus, don't rush, and restart my checklist if interrupted.

Reactions: CC Rider
CC Rider, thanks for sharing. Aside from the fight safety issue I wasnt aware of the problem of take off in Safe Mode (I routinely fly in angle mode to reinforce my skills)

You highlight an important flight safety issue - breaking the routine and also the impact of distraction. Its worth looking at the Human Factors Dirty Dozen, https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2012/Nov/71574/DirtyDozenWeb3.pdf

I think you were had by Number 4 and Number 6.

PatR is right aboult links in chain , I am just picturing some flight safety posters from years ago).

My thoughts would be in a situation like that I would aim to go back to the start and begin again - easy to say but not easy to do in the moment!

Just a question on the windspeed - my documentation says 12mph max - I sense that you have quite a bit of experience operating the H above this limit, if so what is the impact on battery life?

I haven't noticed any great decrease in my battery life related to windspeed, although common sense tells me there must be some effect given that everything in the Typhoon is working harder - from electronics to props - to maintain its course, direction and GPS coordinates in high winds, and therefore must place a higher demand on its power source.

Living on the Atlantic Coast, I do fly in high wind conditions often, and believe me the H can take twice the 12 mph wind limit you spoke of. In windy conditions I'm not so worried about my battery life as I am about how the wind may be 100-200 feet above me. When the air is that unstable and active on the ground it could be doing a whole lot of different things even just a relatively short distance up, from being much higher wind speeds to winds coming from a different direction even. So on days like that I tend not to go for great altitudes and I keep the craft closer, too, with a watchful eye on it.

In sum, to me part of owning a Typhoon H is taking advantage of ALL of its attributes. As many others in this forum can attest to, the H performs quite well in windy conditions, so why not consider that design trait in your flight plans? This is a smart, responsive, very aerodynamic aircraft, so I say go for it - as long as some common sense is thrown in the mix

I mean, if you see Dorothy riding by on a bicycle with a doggie in a basket, GROUND your H!!

After weeks of watching every move I make and being extra careful with everything Typhoon, I blew it today...a little. Not too bad, really. I mean, it could have been a whole lot worse.

I've been stuck inside grounded by days of poor, crappy weather, just aching to get out there. Being self-employed, I've about burnt through having enough alone time or time with tenants to conduct business, and was eager to get out flying again. But for the last 2 days I've been very stuck inside as local coastal flooding - not on my land but on the roadways granting me egress and ingress to my homesite - surrounded me and left me nowhere to go in all of this stormy weather we've been having. This morning a break in the weather came, and I thought I could finally get a flight in.

I waited for low tide to hit the coast so the roadways would be water free, then drove the short distance from my home to my family's land business site to do some storm assessments. (We rent land to people to build their homes on as well as farm it, too.) A few years ago we put in an emergency gravel access road to our community for our tenants to use during floods which runs through the heart of our corn and soybean fields. Because of all of the days of raining and flooding, the emergency road had been heavily used - abused, really - by mostly former city drivers who don't know any better than to drive full speed on a small, simple gravel country road, rutting it up and destroying it in 2 days.

Ah ha! I thought. I'll film the length of the messed up flood road with my Typhoon H to document the road damage that we will now have to spend time and money on to get it back into shape and be usable again. So I powered up the H, started my pre-flight routine, and suddenly got interrupted by a tenant driving down the flood road who stopped me to ask some questions about the drone. I was distracted and I knew it, mumbled something to him, then hastily got back to what I was doing, but I was off my bead and I knew it. I remembered to double check the winds, which were relatively high, and the Hover App on my iPhone read CAUTION in large letters, citing winds approaching 20 mph. I pulled out my handheld wind unit and measured about 17 mph, plenty safe for the H, I thought.

So I hastily pulled my launch mat into quick position - too close to the road and I knew it - situated the H on it, backed up a little - less than I normally do, and I knew it - and then hit the red button. I had it up about 3 feet off the ground when it began wobbling, veering off, and pitching. I instantly tried regaining control of it, and I did get a little, enough to land it quickly at least but not enough to power down the rotors before the Typhoon tipped just enough for one propellor to blow into smithereens striking the ground.

Everything was Kool and the Gang. No major damage at all to speak of. But a LOT of lessons to learn from.

First, I was rushing myself to get out and up as quickly as possible and did not have my head totally engaged in the game at hand, by which I mean that all-important prep time required by every pilot before flying a drone, however long that time may be for the individual. Second, I knew I was off my routine, off my mark, had been distracted by the tenant who approached me in the field, and should've just stopped to regroup, but I didn't take the extra time to do it, a decision which often leads to mistakes creeping in. And boy did I make one as I quickly discovered.

Once I tested out the rotors sans props and knew all was fine and well with my H, I recapitulated upon what had happened to pin down the cause of this event. First I thought perhaps it was prop wash as I did hover longer and lower in place than usual for me right after takeoff. Next I thought perhaps it was a sudden, untimely strong gust of wind that had grabbed my Typhoon out of my unsuspecting fingers. But then I looked at the ST16 in my hands and saw the Flight Mode toggle switch......stuck in the dreaded Smart Mode position! I obviously had somehow flipped it to Smart Mode by accident while talking to the tenant and had not double-checked the switch was correctly thrown before powering up my H.

The H's never-before-seen-by-me antics of very low altitude dancing, wobbling, veering off and eventually tipping over and blowing a prop were totally my own fault, brought about by me forgetting ONE cardinal rule that trumps all other rules at takeoff. And it does not matter that I have not forgotten so many times in the past to takeoff in Angle Mode only. In the real world with consequences, all that matters is that I forgot to do it this ONE time. I am so lucky I did not suffer much more damage than I did as I approached my initialized H in Smart Mode with the ST16 in my hand, violating it's sacrosanct safe circle zone. A few lessons learned by - and reinforced to - me on the cheap.
I gathered from a quick read that you took off in smart mode and it tipped.

That is not your fault. That is one of the dumbest designs on a piece of electronics, especially a flying machine I have ever seen. It is one of the things that makes me scratch my head about Yuneec. Props for taking the blame but it's beyond stupid for there to be a way to take off and have it flip over. Among other reasons, this is why I barely ever fly my H. I see nothing that is better about it than my DJI products. A couple things but the bad far outweigh the good IMHO.

Reactions: DB1
I'm pretty sure taking off in smart mode within the minimum distance will not result in this sudden movement away from you, it'll merely not come any closer. I've tested this a couple of times last year, and again about a month ago. I believe others have reported the same so you might be being hard on yourself here, sure you were distracted but I think this was something else.

Reactions: ebi718 and DB1
I'm pretty sure taking off in smart mode within the minimum distance will not result in this sudden movement away from you, it'll merely not come any closer. I've tested this a couple of times last year, and again about a month ago. I believe others have reported the same so you might be being hard on yourself here, sure you were distracted but I think this was something else.
Correct, you need to be 30 feet away or at least that's their suggested minunum.

Correct, you need to be 30 feet away or at least that's their suggested minunum.

Just to confirm you are saying like me that if you are within 30 feet it won't fly off like a crazy thing?

Just to confirm you are saying like me that if you are within 30 feet it won't fly off like a crazy thing?
I will never take off in smart mode, so I can't tell you that for sure but that's what the manual says. It says in Smart Mode you should be 30 feet from the bird at all times (especially when taking off) and since that is for people that aren't supposed to be good at flying, that MAKES ZERO SENSE to me. I would play it safe and take off in angle mode and switch to smart mode (if you want to be in that mode) once you have taken off and got the bird 30 feet away from you. The reason it needs to be a little distance away from you is because it is using you as orientation on what to do when you throttle or reverse and if you're right on it, it's confusing. It's highly unintelligent for it not to know it's in smart mode and to take off properly making the "Smart mode" title a little ironic to me.

Smart mode is good for one reason, if you lose your orientation and aren't skilled enough to figure out how to get the bird back to you which seems crazy considering there is a green arrow telling you exactly the orientation of the bird as it pertains to you on it.

I will never take off in smart mode, so I can't tell you that for sure but that's what the manual says. It says in Smart Mode you should be 30 feet from the bird at all times (especially when taking off) and since that is for people that aren't supposed to be good at flying, that MAKES ZERO SENSE to me. I would play it safe and take off in angle mode and switch to smart mode (if you want to be in that mode) once you have taken off and got the bird 30 feet away from you. The reason it needs to be a little distance away from you is because it is using you as orientation on what to do when you throttle or reverse and if you're right on it, it's confusing. It's highly unintelligent for it not to know it's in smart mode and to take off properly making the "Smart mode" title a little ironic to me.

Smart mode is good for one reason, if you lose your orientation and aren't skilled enough to figure out how to get the bird back to you which seems crazy considering there is a green arrow telling you exactly the orientation of the bird as it pertains to you on it.

So confused about the correct thing.

However I am 90% sure if you are within 30 feet and take off in smart mode it will not fly off like a crazy thing, it has a failsafe which will not kick in until you are 30 feet out.

On my next flight I will test it, I am that confident ;-)

So confused about the correct thing.

However I am 90% sure if you are within 30 feet and take off in smart mode it will not fly off like a crazy thing, it has a failsafe which will not kick in until you are 30 feet out.

On my next flight I will test it, I am that confident ;-)
If you try to take off in smart mode and you are close to the bird, it will most likely roll over and you should then kill the motors.

Yes, it's an ironically named mode.

It should be called "fly in this mode if you're an idiot mode"

Fly in angle mode and just keep it close to you until you feel comfortable and lower the speed if you want closer to turtle. Smart mode should be abolished.

a lot of unrelated words but that's for the reinforcement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio