Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What are the 'true' No Fly Zone restrictions?

I did do a search on NFZ this time before I posted this question but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I thought I read somewhere that the Typhoon H had built in firmware that would not even allow it to be powered up if it was within ANY NFZ let alone restrict flying to a specified low level. Can someone describe what the real restrictions are and how the 'H' works with them? I apologize if this a repeat question from someone else but I didn't find one as I have read where some individuals seem to be very disturbed by 'newbee' questions being posted.

Be careful of the hearsay. What you are looking for is in section 5 and starts on page 80.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-06-28/pdf/2016-15079.pdf

Synopsis: Local Air Traffic Control (ATC) authorizations are required for operation in Class B, C, D and when close to their lateral boundaries when within Class E. Class A is restricted by the 400ft altitude rule. Class G requires no clearance as well as E unless operating on the boundary of B,C or D.

Radius/Altitude: Subjective for specific airport see THIS MAP and search your local airport for specifics.

How to read aeronautical charts.

Airspace%20Chart.jpg

The H according to Yuneec (info is a little dated) enables a geofence around each airport which has controlled airspace (B, C, D) and restricts flight despite clearances a person may have from ATC. Last we heard these were all a 5miles radius from an airport's center except in Washington DC which has many more restrictions.

Yuneec has firmware available for the H920 and the Q500 to remove these restrictions but we are not sure about the H yet. Yuneec typically requires justification for the removal of restrictions but if you can prove you have authorization from your local ATC and/or sUAS certification from the FAA they should be able to help out.

To bypass the GPS: GPS is a very weak signal. To block it and subsequently disable the geofence it just needs to be covered with a small amount of metal. Taping a couple layers of tinfoil over where it says 'GPS' on the H should do the trick. The remote also has a GPS on it, not sure where but grab some tinfoil and experiment. DISCLAIMER: The drone will no longer auto hover in place and all 'Smart Mode' features will be disabled. Make sure you are a confident pilot before experimenting with this method.

Last edited:
Is there a "No Airport.bin" firmware for the H like for Q500 ? Today there is a new firmware for the H. Maybe now yuneec released a "no airport" firmware ?

Just called yuneec. This firmware update does not remove the no fly zone. The reps exact words to me were "it's complete but they haven't released it to the public because they are trying to make it more efficient". What ever that means...

Reactions: Riplex
Ok guys, here's what i figured out today... Before you read any further just be aware that i spoke to some one at yuneec and they do not cover any warranty work if you fly the TH with the gps disabled, also if you've never done a gps disabled flight before you should probably go to a big open area and try it first because you lose a lot of the features you may use with out thinking (beginners mode, RTH, position hold). The TH uses the gps position of the TH not the ST16 to determine if it is in a no fly zone. so after reading vertigo drones post above i decided to play around a bit. If you fire up the ST16 then cover the spot on the TH with your hand and power it on it will block the gps signal. As soon as you get the telemetry info on screen tap the gps calibration button and turn off the gps (do not remove your hand from the drone). The tricky part is you have to get the motors started before you move your hand (I've found the best way to do so is to reach up from behind the battery compartment and over the gps receiver). Once the motors are started you can fly away with only a no fly zone warning once. living in no fly zone i did this in my office inside of my house, hovered, landed took off again, shut the motors down and started them back up. As I've seen on here many times, please fly smart, contact your local ATC tower if your near a NFZ. In fact if you cant find the number for your local tower message me and ill get it for you. Hope this helps guys! Take care!

Reactions: Mauro De Mello
Ok guys, here's what i figured out today... Before you read any further just be aware that i spoke to some one at yuneec and they do not cover any warranty work if you fly the TH with the gps disabled, also if you've never done a gps disabled flight before you should probably go to a big open area and try it first because you lose a lot of the features you may use with out thinking (beginners mode, RTH, position hold). The TH uses the gps position of the TH not the ST16 to determine if it is in a no fly zone. so after reading vertigo drones post above i decided to play around a bit. If you fire up the ST16 then cover the spot on the TH with your hand and power it on it will block the gps signal. As soon as you get the telemetry info on screen tap the gps calibration button and turn off the gps (do not remove your hand from the drone). The tricky part is you have to get the motors started before you move your hand (I've found the best way to do so is to reach up from behind the battery compartment and over the gps receiver). Once the motors are started you can fly away with only a no fly zone warning once. living in no fly zone i did this in my office inside of my house, hovered, landed took off again, shut the motors down and started them back up. As I've seen on here many times, please fly smart, contact your local ATC tower if your near a NFZ. In fact if you cant find the number for your local tower message me and ill get it for you. Hope this helps guys! Take care!
Does this mean you can actually get permission to fly in a no fly zone? I live near a very small airport. Kent state to be exact. There are days with nothing coming or going so I am curious. However I need GPS.

Does this mean you can actually get permission to fly in a no fly zone? I live near a very small airport. Kent state to be exact. There are days with nothing coming or going so I am curious. However I need GPS.

I'm registered with the FAA, which is a good think because I work for the FAA lol. Yes you can actually get permission to fly on airport property if you call the tower. There is no restrictions on where you can fly as long as actual air traffic permits.

This was taken from my driveway and that is runway 23 of the airport I control at. It's totally legal for me to fly at my house as long as I notify the tower.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 25
I'm registered with the FAA, which is a good think because I work for the FAA lol. Yes you can actually get permission to fly on airport property if you call the tower. There is no restrictions on where you can fly as long as actual air traffic permits.
Thank you very much. I have always followed all the rules even before they made them legit. My dream was to fly above the clouds and I have never done so. Im just one of those people who dont like everyone keeping track of me. I guess its more of a privacy issue.

Reactions: Boredcontroller
Thank you very much. I have always followed all the rules even before they made them legit. My dream was to fly above the clouds and I have never done so. Im just one of those people who dont like everyone keeping track of me. I guess its more of a privacy issue.
It's the few that have ruined this for the many.

If you could sometime get me the # to Kent state airports special person im supposed to talk to I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to actually go to the airport and fly b
It's the few that have ruined this for the many.
I wouldnt say its ruined at all. With the rules we have we can fly and get amazing footage all over the place. I personally think the rules we have are all pretty much common sense and appropriate.

If you could sometime get me the # to Kent state airports special person im supposed to talk to I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to actually go to the airport and fly b

I wouldnt say its ruined at all. With the rules we have we can fly and get amazing footage all over the place. I personally think the rules we have are all pretty much common sense and appropriate.
Kent state airport (1G3) doesn't have a tower so I would call one of these two numbers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 11
I have a question. Does everyone have there drones registered with the FAA?

I do, it is the law. Simple as that. I am not paying a fine costing me more than the drone did. i:)i

That is brilliant, has anyone else tried this? Anyone taken a video of the process? I thought bypassing gps would be more difficult!?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval