Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What are the 'true' No Fly Zone restrictions?

That is brilliant, has anyone else tried this? Anyone taken a video of the process? I thought bypassing gps would be more difficult!?
I really need the ATC # for Akron Canton Airport if possible. I havent even flown the H and Im coming very close to selling it. I had never looked but every place I can possibly fly is in a no fly zone and right now even if I drove N from me to the inlaws its a no fly zone for the next couple of day due to the political event in Cleveland

Also Yuneec is having all sorts of problems with there site and the updates. They told me today not to update until they fixed the issues and to just fly it without it

It's cake to do. I'm actually charging mine up now to fly at my house in a no fly zone
Hey I just wanted to let you know that you can contact Yuneec and they will Email you a waiver and then they send you the firmware so you can fly anywhere you want to. That way you still have total functionality of your drone. I just spoke with them today. Im also going to make a post so others know.

Reactions: Grimsin
Hey I just wanted to let you know that you can contact Yuneec and they will Email you a waiver and then they send you the firmware so you can fly anywhere you want to. That way you still have total functionality of your drone. I just spoke with them today. Im also going to make a post so others know.
I've contacted them several times and they have never said anything about this

It does not exist for the Typhoon H. The guy was wrong. Yuneec is so screwed up right now. There site is messed up. There firmware for the H is messed up unless you have the one with real sense. They screwed up the firmware for the regular H and they are telling people not to download the new one because its only for the one with real sense and could cause issues. I never had any issues with DJI and I so wish I would have just gotten another one. I cant wait to return my H on Monday

I get phone calls at work everyday for people who want to fly drones near my airport (yes, I'm an FAA air traffic controller). All we ask is where they will be, how long they will be operating, faa uas registration number and advise them to stay below 400' agl and stay in line of sight. We have actually let people operate them on the airport property. I understand why yuneec has done this, because little Billy got a drone for his birthday and thinks it would be cool to get a video of a plane taking off. My problem is, I'm not little Billy and I can see the runway from my driveway. I bought my typhoon h to film my nephews on their dirt bikes in my backyard and will probably never go higher than 15-20 feet AGL and never leave my property. There really needs to be a bypass for this for us responsible users, as of now i effectively have a $1300 paper weight.
My son lives in San Diego. I gave him a Typhoon H and have the same "paper weight" issue you mentioned. Have you had any luck with a bypass since this post? I also have the issue that everyone in my family owns Mac computers. Yuneec only supports PC's which I get due to the android system. But you have to find a PC just to get the number for a firmware upgrade and my understanding is even if you get that upgrade you are still limited to 30 feet. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

You also need a 107 certification to get the unrestricted firmware from Yuneec.

Can somebody upload this firmware to google drive ?

No, they should not. The waiver firmware is tied to the auto pilot serial number it was issued to and will not function with a different auto pilot.

The waiver firm requires the applicant to assume full liability and responsibility for their actions while flying. Failure to agree to that and your waiver will be denied. Those trying to obtain NFZ removal “on the sly” by downloading firmware issued to a different auto pilot are committing fraud and trying to bypass their personal responsibility. They may also be trying to obtain full NFZ removal without being Part 107 certified. People that try to do this are under handed, not trustworthy, on the same level as a common thief, and can cause untold harm to the multirotor community.

If you desire an NFZ waiver, do it right and call Yuneec to obtain one. I have one and it’s not difficult to obtain but you do need to hold yourself responsible for your actions. If you can’t or won’t do that forget about getting a waiver.

Last edited:
Definitely not trying to do anything "on the sly". My brother has owned several DJI drones and flies in San Diego (where legal) without any additional firmware. He bought a new DJI. We went together to fly his DJI and this Yuneec. Airmaps showed the location as legal. DJI worked...Yuneec did not. (not trying to start a DJI vs Yuneec conversation...just stating a fact.)
I came to this forum looking for the information to do what I need to do so that the Typhoon can be flown in the legal manner which it should be. When I asked about a "bypass" I was referring to a way to get the firmware to an SD card, the ST16, etc. then to the Typhoon (without a PC). Or another way to get the drones identification number without hooking it up to the gui on a PC. Since I do not own a PC or know anyone that does that has become the problem. I need that vehicle id number to complete the liability release form to get the firmware.
I have no intention of any shortcuts or breaking any laws. Aware of the FAA regs, rules, etc. I thought if anyone might have figured out a way to obtain that vehicle id without a pc so that I can obtain the firmware and do everything the correct way it would be a pilot in here.

The auto pilot serial number is only displayed when connected to the GUI. As I only use Windows based systems I have not encountered the problems those using Macs have mentioned. Installation and activation of the NFZ removal software requires connection with the GUI, and in addition requires reinstallation after any firmware updates. You might consider investing in a Windows based tablet or laptop.

My reference to doing things on the sly and made without any regret was directed at those trying to obtain the software without contacting Yuneec. DJI uses different methods to unlock NFZ’s via an active data link between the drone and DJI and/or AirMap. Those methods also requires users to accept personal responsibility and liability for their actions. There is also the DJI user group that has gone to extensive lengths to personally modify, or hack, DJI code in order to remove or bypass flight restriction software in order to fly where they should not. Unfortunately there are Yuneec owners that would like to do similar.

In general, DJI’s no fly zones are far more numerous, intrusive, and restrictive than Yuneec’s so I find it curious that a DJI system is allowing flight where a Yuneec does not. I am extremely familiar with San Diego airspace as I have flown full scale there extensively and interacted on a professional level with several of the military installations.

Last edited:
Definitely not trying to do anything "on the sly". My brother has owned several DJI drones and flies in San Diego (where legal) without any additional firmware. He bought a new DJI. We went together to fly his DJI and this Yuneec. Airmaps showed the location as legal. DJI worked...Yuneec did not. (not trying to start a DJI vs Yuneec conversation...just stating a fact.)
I came to this forum looking for the information to do what I need to do so that the Typhoon can be flown in the legal manner which it should be. When I asked about a "bypass" I was referring to a way to get the firmware to an SD card, the ST16, etc. then to the Typhoon (without a PC). Or another way to get the drones identification number without hooking it up to the gui on a PC. Since I do not own a PC or know anyone that does that has become the problem. I need that vehicle id number to complete the liability release form to get the firmware.
I have no intention of any shortcuts or breaking any laws. Aware of the FAA regs, rules, etc. I thought if anyone might have figured out a way to obtain that vehicle id without a pc so that I can obtain the firmware and do everything the correct way it would be a pilot in here.

No worries, glad to hear that your motives are on the up and up.

It seems strange to me that the H would see an NFZ that the DJI aircraft doesn't.

I'm curious. Have you checked to see if your H has the most recent firmware on the drone, ST16 and camera?

Downloads Typhoon H

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval