Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What is the best charger for the money?

I am no expert myself believe me. Still learning. I am assuming that the balance plug port can only monitor one at a time. I will read that tomorrow.

Hey Paladin, just to let you know. I received my charge adapters from Andy and used them with the UP120ac. It took a little under 43 minutes at 7 amps which is an hour faster than my stock charger. The batteries took the charge well no heat or bulging. You can also charge the ST-16 at 2.1 amps.

Cool, did you charge two at a time at 7?
I have not received my connectors yet.

One word of warning, I would not pump 7 amps into the battery for charging. I plan to charge it at maybe 6 amps.
It will work at 7 but I think that is going to be hard on the lipo's life span. I am not in THAT much of a hurry. If it takes an hour to hour and a half, that is fine if it can do do batteries at a time. I will never need to change them in the field so won't need that much amperage. I just plan on charging them at home the day before I need them.

How did you charge the ST16? Did you need an adapter?

Yes, I charged 2 at the same time. I think the batteries are OK. They didn't even get warm. These batteries appear to be a little better than advertised, as has been reported in earlier threads. There's a 2.1 amp USB charge port that uses the same USB cable that came with the ST-16. The extra speed is better for me because I have 6 batteries to charge.

Yes, I charged 2 at the same time. I think the batteries are OK. They didn't even get warm. These batteries appear to be a little better than advertised, as has been reported in earlier threads. There's a 2.1 amp USB charge port that uses the same USB cable that came with the ST-16. The extra speed is better for me because I have 6 batteries to charge.

Oh that is cool man. Charging at 7 won't necessarily make them warm. It just may take some life out of them over time.

I am going to stick with 6 amps but that is completely understandable if others want faster. I bought temp probs to put on the batteries just in case. :)

Already got the UP120AC. I wanted one with more output than the X2. I want to be able to charge 6 to 7 amps per battery at the same time. I also liked the duel screens to monitor each battery.
Thanks for that Info. After further review I too ordered the UP 120AC as the previously mentioned charger was only 80 watts.

I finally got the charge boards and connectors. I was able to charge all 6 batteries at 7.2 amps in about an hour from storage voltage with the UP 120AC.

Unless a battery manufacturer states differently you should not charge at greater than a 1C rate. The H does not use a 7 amp hour battery so some of you are charging at too high a rate. The battery in the ST-16 is a different chemistry but should also charge at 1C or less. We all like to save time but charging at too high a rate will cost money in early battery replacements.

Reactions: abinder
Unless a battery manufacturer states differently you should not charge at greater than a 1C rate. The H does not use a 7 amp hour battery so some of you are charging at too high a rate. The battery in the ST-16 is a different chemistry but should also charge at 1C or less. We all like to save time but charging at too high a rate will cost money in early battery replacements.

Exactly.
And I wouldn't be surprised if the people that have a LiPo fire are the some of the ones that charge at a higher rate than 1C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one of the reasons companies are going with the slow chargers. Forcing people to buy only their batteries is of course the other. People lacking experience and understanding of Lipos can obtain a charger than can get the job done faster through higher adjustable charge rates but are a lot more prone to causing battery fires. It's very hard to charge damage a Lipo when charging at 1/2C or less. If people lack that knowledge and understanding they should take a little time and learn about lipo battery chemistry, charge rates, storage levels, and how treat them in general. They are not a charge and forget type of battery, and how they are charged is extremely important to how long they last, how well they perform, and safety.

Some Lipos can be charged at higher than a 1C rate but those products typically have the manufacturer making that statement or have notes on the battery label. Lacking specific manufacturer information referencing charge rates higher than 1C, the safe route is to charge at 1C or less. Homes have burned down because of lipo fires and nobody needs or wants that.

Reactions: abinder
That's one of the reasons companies are going with the slow chargers. Forcing people to buy only their batteries is of course the other. People lacking experience and understanding of Lipos can obtain a charger than can get the job done faster through higher adjustable charge rates but are a lot more prone to causing battery fires. It's very hard to charge damage a Lipo when charging at 1/2C or less. If people lack that knowledge and understanding they should take a little time and learn about lipo battery chemistry, charge rates, storage levels, and how treat them in general. They are not a charge and forget type of battery, and how they are charged is extremely important to how long they last, how well they perform, and safety.

Some Lipos can be charged at higher than a 1C rate but those products typically have the manufacturer making that statement or have notes on the battery label. Lacking specific manufacturer information referencing charge rates higher than 1C, the safe route is to charge at 1C or less. Homes have burned down because of lipo fires and nobody needs or wants that.

Totally agree.

Someday when I get adapter charging cords for my Typhoon H batteries, I'll probably be charging them at 1/2C; basically like they are charged with the standard charger that comes with the Typhoon H now.

I'll get 4 of the charging cords so I can charge my 4 batteries at the same time on my HiTec X4 AC/DC charger. Sure the initial cost is higher, but I'll have 'peace of mind' that I'll be charging the batteries at a very safe level.

Oh, and don't get me started on people that think using parallel balance charging boards are just as safe as a single balance charging board for each battery !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am happy charging 2 batteries at 1C (6Amps). I have temperature probes on both for added safety, never seen the temp go above 3 degrees over room temp. I am also using a computer interface so I can watch what is going on. Takes just about an hour for both.

Reactions: BobW55
I am happy charging 2 batteries at 1C (6Amps). I have temperature probes on both for added safety, never seen the temp go above 3 degrees over room temp. I am also using a computer interface so I can watch what is going on. Takes just about an hour for both.
1c would be 5.4 amps. Your charging at 1.03569c! Lol

LOL John,
You just have to know what you're doing and understand charging. So what's the beef?
I thought HAM radio was expensive.
Everytime I turn around there is some gizmo I need to make things better.

LOL John,

I thought HAM radio was expensive.
Everytime I turn around there is some gizmo I need to make things better.
I hear ya. That comment was directed to abinder and not you, BTW. Always wanted to study HAM just to firm up my RC and communications skillset, but just can't seem to find the time with kids and my own business to attend to.;)

Oh I know it wasn't
I have 2 more years before I can retire, then I might actually have time to fly and play on the radios.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech