Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What is the best iPhone to use with the Breeze?

Reaction score
I currently use a 6 plus. At around 80 feet straight up above me I will get glitchy video feed. At 100 feet up and 100 feet out I lost wifi completely 3 times today. Which iPhone has the best range and performance? Also, my firmware is not updated. Thanks!

Using the pythagorean theorem (a2+b2=c2) 100 ft out and 100 ft up would be about 142 ft away from the controller. That should be well within the "advertised" 100 meter (324 ft) range. I've been up to 150ft and maybe 50ft before the upgrade, but that's about as far as I've pushed it if I recall correctly. That was with my iPhone SE and/or my wife's iPhone 7+ - both in their cases.

Seems we should be able to get more out of it than what you're reporting?

I agree. We should be getting more. I've always had the glitching around 80 feet up, but the disconnect today was at an open park. The weather was great for flying. I was hoping the 6s or the 7 would have a longer range wifi.

Reactions: FLYXLSA
Turn it on and leave it on the ground on a soccer or football field and see how far away you can get from it horizontally. Try another device from a friend too.

I started to say before my poor old fingers hit the wrong key and deleted my reply that my Motorola G4 with Android 6.0.1 controls the Breeze in excess of 300 feet now that I know the trick of toggling back and forth on the Airplane mode before flying, but if I am not mistaken I seem to remember that the Breeze is limited to 242 feet vertically. But then heck I'm old, I could have imagined it. By the way I see the Karma is being reintroduced, hopefully it does well.

I started to say before my poor old fingers hit the wrong key and deleted my reply that my Motorola G4 with Android 6.0.1 controls the Breeze in excess of 300 feet now that I know the trick of toggling back and forth on the Airplane mode before flying, but if I am not mistaken I seem to remember that the Breeze is limited to 242 feet vertically. But then heck I'm old, I could have imagined it. By the way I see the Karma is being reintroduced, hopefully it does well.

OMP:
What is the model # of the Motorola G4 you're using? I've been looking for an Android Phone that has 5GHz WiFi and it's not easy to find in an affordable phone. I saw a Model XT1607 on Amazon that looked interesting. Thanks!
Tim

Hey Tim,
I got mine at Best Buy and it is a Moto G4 with Marshmallow 6.0.1. I paid $199 and I think it is still the same price. The phone has very good reception and holds weak signals very well, it doen't come with many apps but that suits me because I think a whole lot of apps running in the background just serves to slow the processor. The other thing I like is the battery life which is really amazing. I am not sure about the Amazon Model Number, but hey their return policy is really great and you might even consider a used one. I usually don't like used electronics but with phones people change them like they change TV stations so they you stand a chance of getting something good.
Hope this helps,
Ron

Sounds like the same phone. I ordered one. We'll see Saturday. Thanks!

I'm totally confused, maybe because I'm pretty computer illiterate. What do the numbers stand for? I got a reply form Yuneec support that reads;

"Thank you for contacting yuneec. The device you use has to be 5.8 Ghz. If it is anything less it will not connect. Sorry for the inconvenience. Have a yuneec day."

Is that 5.8 Ghz Android version? Or 5.8 Ghz OS?

I have a cheap android Samsung phone but the Android version is 6.01. I can't find OS speed anywhere in my phone's specs and actually in most phone ads

Can someone clear this up for me? What do the numbers mean and if it is OS speed how do I find that when shopping for a phone with a fast enough OS that will operate the Breeze.

He is referring to the wi-if specification. Look for terminology like "dual band" wi-fi on the packaging or spec sheet. I have a iPhone 7 and an iPad Pro 9.7 and both have flown the Breeze without a hitch using the out of the box firmware.

So far the only "inexpensive" Android device with 5.8Ghz Wifi seems to be OMP's Moto G4. My wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 has it. My Lenovo Yoga 3 Tab 8 nope.

Yuneec should state this IN BIG LETTERS on the packaging. Heck I had to look in the manual to find it and they didn't include that with either Breeze I bought. It's "in-app" for reference.

Some things I like to have printed. Here's a copy. WiFi spec is shown there.

Attachments

• Breeze Manual.pdf
    408.4 KB · Views: 13
Apparently the weak link was from my iPhone 6. I flew with my iPad Air 2 today, and it was completely awesome! Much better range.

So far the only "inexpensive" Android device with 5.8Ghz Wifi seems to be OMP's Moto G4. My wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 has it. My Lenovo Yoga 3 Tab 8 nope.

Yuneec should state this IN BIG LETTERS on the packaging. Heck I had to look in the manual to find it and they didn't include that with either Breeze I bought. It's "in-app" for reference.

Some things I like to have printed. Here's a copy. WiFi spec is shown there.

Thanks for that, especially the link to the manual.

The phone I ordered must not be the same as yours. Apparently there is a Moto G4 Play 5" and a Moto G4 (no play) 5.5" and I went for the cheaper one and it seems it only has 2.4GHz Wifi. I like some of the other features of the phone and am going to keep it.

FYI for others they might want to spend the extra dollars and have a Dual Band phone.

I got an Email from Yuneec on Friday saying they have my Breeze. It will most likely take another week to get back here after they fix it. I guess "time in shop" depends on how busy they are and/or parts availability.

It his almost 50 here today so I took the 3DR Solo for a spin around HersheyPark area. :)
MotoG4.jpeg

Reactions: threewulfmoon
Hello Tim,
Sorry about the phone you ordered not being dual band, when I bought mine from Best Buy I went to the store and asked the salesman point blank if it was dual band 5GHZ and he said yes so I got it.

Ron

No problem! I like a few of the Amazon Features anyway. I could send it back, but I like it better than the LG I had. Just as there is no cheap Apple device, I think you found the cheapest Android device out there?

The kid at our Bestbuy in store had ZERO clue about their unlocked phones.

No problem! I like a few of the Amazon Features anyway. I could send it back, but I like it better than the LG I had. Just as there is no cheap Apple device, I think you found the cheapest Android device out there?

The kid at our Bestbuy in store had ZERO clue about their unlocked phones.
Hey Tim,

Did you get your Breeze back yet and get to try it?

Ron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11