Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

1. deMARCOman

I am trying to find a place in the Los Angeles area that I can legally fly a drone. This article

Top 10 Places to Fly a Drone in LA

is apparently 100% wrong because when I called Los Angeles Parks and Recreation and spoke to a Park Ranger — I was curtly and firmly told that it is ILLEGAL to fly ANY drone ANYTIME in ANY Los Angeles City Park ... WTH? I bought this drone and now I can't find a legal place to fly it!

2. THoff

3. deMARCOman

Thanks but I don't see where that map shows one can legally fly a drone in LA. It basically, from what I can tell and like every other LA map I've seen, only shows the 5 mi. radius restriction near airports.

1)
    The LA city ordinance states no flying over private property (Papparazzi rules) .
    2) No flying in public parks.

Which limits me to what? The streets? One LA area drone meetup organizer replied to my message with this:

I do fly in areas that are technically off limits. I use good judgement to not fly over lots of people and away from airports. Only you can make that call.

Which seems to say --"yeah we do things illegally." Thanks but no thanks.... I'd really rather not be arrested, cited, ticketed or have my $2K investment confiscated... :(

4. Dragonflyerthom

Lots of mountains and valleys around there. The desert is just over the mountains. Don't they still have the canals,abandon shipyards, and railroad yards there? A few years back there was an active AMA chapter there also.

#4 Dragonflyerthom, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  5. deMARCOman

I'll check into the AMA. I wanted to stay away from hard surface landing areas (concrete and asphalt) until I am reasonably certain I know how to land it gently and keep it from wandering. I guess I'll be heading to Palm Springs this weekend.

6. druiz100

I thought the FAA controlled the air space. Check with the FAA. Citys can try to make a rule or law banning flights, but the FAA has the final say. Like the National parks say you can takeoff in parks. But alot of home owners right next to these parks are making big money letting drone flyers takeoff from their land so the can fly into the park. It 100% legal. I hear they even give them power to charge their drones. So check to make sure those rules in LA dont say takeoff from the parks

7. VortexRing

You can fly at rosebowl. I used to fly there after work when I lived in LA. I'm in Lancaster now where there's plenty of open areas to fly in

8. VortexRing

Man, it's gonna be 110 degrees out there this weekend. Flying in extreme heat is a no no.

9. THoff

The ordinance about not flying over private property won't keep you from transiting it. You can't hover over someone's backyard, but this doesn't keep you from overflying it.

10. JB1

JB1

I fly at Corona Del Mar State Beach off of Arches Rock, Huntington Beach at sunrise and on several occasions had the police pass by and have never had a problem. There are places here in the OC that I have flown with no issues. Just fly safely and I think you will be ok.

11. THoff

12. Dragonflyerthom

People only get nervous if you ask them if you can. They can look up and see your craft going across the sky and not think any thing bout it but if you stop and observe any thing they will call the cops. If the cops finds you they can make your life well it will not be Disney.

Jamess likes this.
  13. Jamess

I flight in griffith park not problems yet

14. Jamess

agree