Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Who Passed the Part 107 test (that wasn't already a pilot)

I read where there was a list of items you can take with you to the test....a calculator, a ruler, etc. Did you take any items with you and were they useful?
I needed nothing. There's actually a calculator function available on the computer as one of the Function buttons but it wasn't needed. They provided blank paper, pens and pencils and a booklet containing the reference diagrams related to the questions. You really don't need anything. They take your smart phone and, if you have one, smart watch (I did). It was very well set up. My only comment would be that the lighting was a bit poor to read the graphs in the booklet and they were a bit small on the screen so I struggled just trying to read it. I carry a little pocket flashlight that I used and that helped a lot. Learn the phonetic alphabet. I had a couple questions dealing with that.

Hello,

I'm looking to study for the test that I'm taking on Friday. Can someone that has passed the test (that wasn't previously a pilot that has a chance to take the shortened online version rather than going to a testing center) let me know if this PDF will cover everything I will need to know on the test? http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

If you can remember questions that can't be answered from this study guide, please let me know what types, or where to study that information.

Thanks a bunch!
By using this pdf, taking the practice tests and optional aeronautical practice test once logging into faasafety website I got an 82 on the test. I only studied for 2 days and somehow pulled it off but trust me it was not easy. Give yourself two weeks. It can be done without purchasing online classes, just gotta set your mind do it. Good luck to everyone that takes it!

I am not a pilot and started with no aeronautical background. I passed the 107 this Thursday with a 90 score. Now just the TSA background check and I am good. You will not pass this test without studing. Each test is different for each person. They pull from a large group of questions using the percentages set up by the FAA. It is weighted heavily on airspace and operations and crew management. Lower percentages of questions on flight characteristics (center of gravity, load factors) and weather but they are on the test and need to be studied. Use the FAA study guide to UAS 107. It is all right there and covers it really well. Spend a lot of time getting the classes of airspace down pat and getting the layers of the airspace understood clearly. Below are links to a webinar that was done today showing questions from the 107 and explanations. This will give you a good idea of what to excpect. I studied since the end of June, dedicating a few hours each day to a section. Reading and taking in any web info I could find. Free YouTube classes were a big help for me. A drone lawyer also put out a study guide that was spot on and that link is below. There are a lot of 107 classes that are popping up for $100 to $350 that are just not needed if you have discipline to just study the info below. Know it well, inside and out. Be able to put a dot anywhere on an aeronautical sectional and within a reasonable time tell the class of airspace and if you can fly there. 3DR Robotics also has a great review and 107 study guide with and online testing sample. Good luck and you can do it! I actually found it very doable and the information I studied usable in the real world of commercial drone work. A lot of the information was not something I will ever be using but the FAA has to cover all UAS with this 107 including fixed wings and "54.9" pound drones. Overall the 107 is a good balance between you flying commercially and public safety. Good Luck.

Webinar for 107 Questions
Powered by Infusionsoft

Lawyer John Rupprecht study guide
Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA

FAA 107 study guide- Print This and Read
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

3DR 107 Resources study guide
FAA Drone Pilot Test Study Guides | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

Not a flame response just my 2 cents LOL and thats about all its worth!
actually your drivers license is not complete, cant drive a motorcycle in some states ,cant drive a big truck, cant drive a boat etc but I don't need a captains license to drive a motor boat. The testing should be as you said at the end, all about SAFETY can you fly manually, can you pass a realistic UAV test, boom , prove it and you pass. But aeronautical charts will not help me pilot my drone manually :)

But it WILL help you understand where heliports are, where airports are, and so on. Remember, your drone is NOT the only thing in the sky-- ever.

Hello,

I'm looking to study for the test that I'm taking on Friday. Can someone that has passed the test (that wasn't previously a pilot that has a chance to take the shortened online version rather than going to a testing center) let me know if this PDF will cover everything I will need to know on the test? http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

If you can remember questions that can't be answered from this study guide, please let me know what types, or where to study that information.

Thanks a bunch!

I would add AC 107-2 to that list as well.

I am not a pilot and squeezed through with a 82%

I thought squeezed but looking at some of the results posted I didn't do AS BAD AS i THOUGHT :)

I read where there was a list of items you can take with you to the test....a calculator, a ruler, etc. Did you take any items with you and were they useful?

I took a cheap calculator, didn't need it.

The book at the testing station for references in the questions was more than enough (I had a huge percentage of chart related questions)

They have the book, pencils, paper and plotting rulers/calculators (not needed)

Left my iPhone in the car.

Hello Ryan,

I sent a response to your IM via my iPhone, but it got kicked back... between the 107 and the study guide, your covered for a good 90% of the test. you will need to be able to easily read a sectional chart as well, and really study weather and effects of weights and loads on aircraft.

watch out for "grey area" questions. if you are asked if something is allowed and it requires a provision, stick to the straight rule unless the provision is listed as part of a possible answer choice....

Good Luck!
Anthony

FYI, I crammed for 2 weeks and the test took me 38 mins and I scored an 88 so it's totally doable, don't stress. You can even test yourself with an affordable app "flightready" just a word of caution, some of their questions are far more elaborate than the actual test.

Thanks Art-T for your support. I have a question to clarify your reading recommendations, when you say part 107 my search turned up the following 560+ page CFR doc ( https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf ), just want to confirm if this is the doc you intended of if there is a different one.

Thank you.

I totally understand everyone's concern on some of the content being extreme...BUT once you are granted a certificate you are allowed to fly everywhere the 107 makes provisions for and using an aircraft that can weigh up to 55lbs...(not 55) and because you are legally allowed to you must know the safety rules that apply. Think about your auto license.... you don't get a dumbed down license just because you are going to only drive around town....see the point?

I still wish there was a basic flying skills test as well....but I've been flying helis since 1987 when gyros didn't even exist. I have a lot more respect for these crafts then many new pilots who just push these gps stabilized machines around. What happens when someone is flying in a neighborhood for real estate work and they have a GPS lockout? If they cant control the craft manually in all orientations there is a very good chance the flight will end in a crash. Where will it finally stop, the neighbor's swingset? the stroller going down the street. See even those easy, low altitude jobs can have catastrophic outcomes if the pilot isn't skilled. I know I've digressed, but this is all about safety and coexisting in the NAS.

please take this for what its worth....29 years of RC wisdom... not meant to poo poo on anyone's dreams or abilities.

Peace
Anthony

Fly inside an industrial building for a couple weeks almost every day, and you get the hang of flying manually pretty quick. I understand some folks thinking the certification is overkill, but once you got it, like you said, you can fly up to a 55lb aircraft. And you can legally charge fees for flying your drone and filming with it, so if this is your hobby, and you are going to do it for the rest of your life, get the certification, because you never know when you might want to fly some supercharged monster of a drone and be able to do it legally.

A Typhoon H weighs about 4 lbs, so can you imagine the kind of craft you could fly that weighs 55 lbs with this license?

Fly inside an industrial building for a couple weeks almost every day, and you get the hang of flying manually pretty quick. I understand some folks thinking the certification is overkill, but once you got it, like you said, you can fly up to a 55lb aircraft. And you can legally charge fees for flying your drone and filming with it, so if this is your hobby, and you are going to do it for the rest of your life, get the certification, because you never know when you might want to fly some supercharged monster of a drone and be able to do it legally.

A Typhoon H weighs about 4 lbs, so can you imagine the kind of craft you could fly that weighs 55 lbs with this license?

Any online resources to identify potential industrial areas to practice at that are either active or abandoned? I live in MA and was looking for such places but found nothing that I would considering walking into let alone flying my craft around.

Any online resources to identify potential industrial areas to practice at that are either active or abandoned? I live in MA and was looking for such places but found nothing that I would considering walking into let alone flying my craft around.
I would call your local government officials. Movie companies I think scout areas to do filming, and I think this is what they do.

Here is a link to an article for exploring abandoned buildings or vacant buildings.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...rts/legal-to-explore-abandoned-buildings1.htm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone