Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why is a commercial license needed to sell art?

I'm using Verifly as well. I bought my first policy this past Sunday. Works pretty slick. As soon as you buy it, it send a printed policy by email for your records. I really like it. It does have a slightly restrictive 1/4 mile radius coverage area but if there is an unintentional flyaway, coverage is stil in effect outside that area. I think this will be a very popular product. I was unable to locate insurance for less than $750 to $1000 per year . I love the $10/hr approach.

I'm using Verifly as well. I bought my first policy this past Sunday. Works pretty slick. As soon as you buy it, it send a printed policy by email for your records. I really like it. It does have a slightly restrictive 1/4 mile radius coverage area but if there is an unintentional flyaway, coverage is stil in effect outside that area. I think this will be a very popular product. I was unable to locate insurance for less than $750 to $1000 per year . I love the $10/hr approach.
Thanks Hatfield!

We are working on offering a larger coverage area soon, so stay tuned on that front.

Cheers
David

Thanks Hatfield!

We are working on offering a larger coverage area soon, so stay tuned on that front.

Cheers
David
Personally, I probably would never need a larger coverage area per se. I was only worried about a flyaway since I read on this board that it certainly happens more than it should. As a Realtor, I'm only using the drone for business and the FAA's line of sight rule gets tough for me beyond a quarter mile anyway with trees and what not. I have a 107 license and everything else lined up for legal operation. Insurance, although not "legally" required, is almost a must for true commercial operation. It was kind of the last piece of the puzzle for me. I just feel better knowing I have it. Even when I fly for training/personal I will buy a policy for 10 bucks.

I am a Realtor wanting to use drone aerial photography in my business but only if I can be 100% legal. I have already passed my 107 and obtained that license but I started chasing legality over a year ago before there was a 107 path. I applied for a section 333 exemption which got put on hold once 107 was announced. I went to the National Realtors Convention in San Diego in November of 2015. One of the the sessions was a panel of FAA representatives briefing us on these very laws with an extensive Q&A period. It was a large crowd and somewhat hostile as many were already using drones and being told they must stop. Several people actually challenged the FAA rep by saying somewhat the same things like "I'm not hurting anyone .... I don't think you have the legal authority .... You can't catch us all, you don't have the manpower .... etc." The FAA rep calmly explained that the fine process takes a long time, maybe a year or more and many were in process. He also said that although they don't necessarily go looking for violators, they DO respond to all complaints and turn ins. By turn in, I'm talking about those who go to all the time and expense to be legal having to compete with someone who is not legal. They can file that complaint and FAA will look into it, practically guaranteed. At least with the 333 Exemptions, the FAA actually listed those exemption holders on their web site along with a convenient online form to turn someone in. I expect they will list the 107 license holders as well. Like in my own case, I have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to use this in my business legally. It was done so that I would have a significant "point of difference" over my competitors. If, to compete with me, they run over to Best Buy, buy a drone, and post the pics of their listings, I WILL turn them in, I just will. I can see that happening with everyone trying to legally incorporate drone usage into ANY business. And, it was explained that actually receiving compensation is not a pre-requisite. Just using it to "enhance" a business qualifies as commercial. I'm not charging extra but I'm enhancing. A farmer looking at his crops is looking for drought, predator damage, disease ... he is enhancing his business. The "art' dealer throws a drone photograph into the mix in a street fair and that picture catches the eye of the passer by more so than the rest ... he just enhanced his business. In reality, we mostly all know the difference between hobby flying and any kind of non-hobby flying but many try to ft into a gray area so that they don't have to get the license. I personally feel that air space is air space and that, eventually, everyone, hobbyists included, will require a license to fly a drone. We will do that to ourselves. As a practical matter, it's the only way to stop the arguments and disagreements.

Where can I find the information need to get legal?

I am interested in getting my Part 107.
Has anyone had an easier time getting places to let you fly if you are licensed?
State parks, for example...
Also, I noticed one of the requirements is to be vetted by the TSA.
What does that mean?

I am interested in getting my Part 107.
Has anyone had an easier time getting places to let you fly if you are licensed?
State parks, for example...
Also, I noticed one of the requirements is to be vetted by the TSA.
What does that mean?
Getting your 107 for non-business purposes would not be of any benefit to hobby flyers. Even with a 107 you may be required to get a permit to fly in some areas. State parks set their own rules but most if not all prohibit drone flights. Most will however issue permits as per their rule & regs. Look on your states parks page.
The vetting is a background check to be sure you are who you say you are.

A hobby flyer actually hurts their cause a little if they obtain a 107. Having a 107 places them in a much more restrictive rules category and places them in a position to maintain flight and maintenance records. A hobby flyer has potential ability to use an "I didn't know that" excuse. A 107 operator does not. It also prevents them from taking full advantage of AMA insurance since they must prove their flying was only for recreational purposes.

As for the back ground check, everyone that desires to be a licensed pilot, and obtaining a 107 puts the operator in a licensed operator category, must pass a national security back ground check. This has been in place since roughly the 9/11 event. TSA is the agency that performs that check, and those records are stored within the government forever. This is also applicable to people that obtain a commercial driver's license and those that transport large quantities of hazardous materials. Be thankful you don't have to be fingerprinted when obtaining a 107.

Regarding state parks, if one person is flying there everyone would want to fly there. If there is sufficient reason to fly in a state park you can make requests through official channels and arrange for special permission to do so. Some state parks actually require a commercial permit in order to film in a park, from the ground or otherwise. Crazy but it's true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss