Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Will the Typhoon H ever have a Real time GPS map like DJI has

lol, I'm not one to preach to people about LOS, but your example or definition of LOS is not the generally accepted definition of LOS...

But I agree about a map. It would be cool to have. From a "technical" standpoint I think its doable. But I wonder if there is some patent on that or given that DJI has already tried or is suing Yuneec, it might be a function that brings them too close together and would bolster DJI's lawsuit...

Ok like that Typhoon H, but there is one thing that I need to have. You know a Phantom 3, that App that DJI using gives you that GPS Google map on the bottom corner. You can switch from the camera to the map in flight and just fly by the map. Yuneec dont have that yet right? or am I missing something. That map is great to fly by.

Now for you people who are going to say something about LOS. I got something to say, even if the Drone is 30 feet away for you, if your looking at the screen its "OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT" Reason your looking at your controller screen or tablet screen not the drone, So back off.

I can't see how dji can sue them for using google maps , but like I say dji are the apple of the drone world. I'm going to sue you because your drone has 4 props or round corners , you never know that's why they when hex .

Of course they can't sue Yuneec for using Google Maps unless Google Maps had some exclusive agreement with DJI. Its the functionality they could possibly sue over. Using it to track your drone with indicators showing you where it is and the direction to get it home, making it a mini-map which can expand to fill the screen... Yuneec would have to figure another way to integrate it...

I can't see how dji can sue them for using google maps , but like I say dji are the apple of the drone world. I'm going to sue you because your drone has 4 props or round corners , you never know that's why they when hex .

No, not suing for using google maps, BUT the way its used. That type of functionality, using it to monitor where your drone is, maybe be something DJI has patented...

BTW, I love Apple, great products. Been a fan since the Apple Lisa. No malware or viruses...Great company. Capitalism at its best...

I think arducopter was the first software to use gps to monitor where your craft was via google maps way before dji did it , so as the joke does , That doesn't fly.
Plus all the other stuff too, so they could say they own RTH.
Yes I agree with you on apple , great products, but I hate the company.

Last edited:
I altered my response regarding Apple products as all it was going to lead to was a giant pissing contest...

Yeah I was simply offering up a "possible" reason why Yuneec didn't incorporate a mini-map. Was not saying that was the definitive reason (lawsuit) why it wasn't done...

I think arducopter was the first software to use gps to monitor where your craft was via google maps way before dji did it , so as the joke does , That doesn't fly.
Plus all the other stuff too, so they could say they own RTH.
Yes I agree with you on apple , great products, but I hate the company.

lol, I'm not one to preach to people about LOS, but your example or definition of LOS is not the generally accepted definition of LOS...
QUOTE]

I was just pointing out that there is no 100% LOS when flying a drone with a Camera. As sometimes you want to see what the camera is looking at. Plus I was pissed that day with all the LOS preachers, that think we didn't hear them the first 100 times they said it.

As long as you fly safe, that is what matters

Yuneec a real time GPS map would be great.

Last edited:
The problem I see in doing this is you would have to exit the flight screen to get to the "PAD" and Android OS to run google maps. My question is if you do that will it prevent you from using the control sticks??

If you really want this I think it has to be implemented within the flight control software itself. We could probably find a way to take the telemetry data and send that to maps but then what? If you cannot control the drone in real time while in the maps program what good is it? i:)i

I was just pointing out that there is no 100% LOS when flying a drone with a Camera. As sometimes you want to see what the camera is looking at. Plus I was pissed that day with all the LOS preachers, that think we didn't hear them the first 100 times they said it.

As long as you fly safe, that is what matters

Yuneec a real time GPS map would be great.

I agree, the LOS is just a recommended safety guideline as most drones don't have the video or telemetry that we have.

Once I am in the air I very seldom look at the bird, why would I try to fly a little dot in the sky when I have all the info I need right on my screen, video and telemetry, I know exactly what's going on with my bird.

Is this any different than a pilot flying by instrumentation because he has zero visibility.

Here is the reply email I just received from UgCS. That was quick!!

"Hi Forrest Tainio,

We have offered their support for the manufacturer of drones in our software, but have not received the official agreement.
As soon as situation will change we will inform our release notes.

– Sergey Zuev"

It would be kind of nice to have. But you really want to talk about dreaming? A system where you can pick single or multiple points on a map, set an altitude for each point and have it fly the program.

Litchi Waypoints does that right now man.

Because yuneec claims revolutionary flying & superior technology they Guarentee no fly aways in there advertising i assume they figure they dont need a map that others have at half the cost. The wizard Guarentees to Find You if there is a loss in connection.
There terribly wrong

The only way Yuneec could offer a realtime map while flying is to make use of Google Maps on the ST16 and then just advise users to set up a mobile hotspot on their phone and connect the ST 16 to the phone.

Late last year when I received the DJI Phantom 4 Pro with built in display the live maps didn't work in the field because they rely on cell tower data as per previous models. Sure you could use cached maps but not all detail is cached. Since this DJI model has a built in display with no SIM CARD there is no cell data. To get the live maps to work in the field one has to set up a mobile hotspot on their phone and have the DJI controller connect to it, then the maps become live again. Yuneec could do something similar.

The H has been on the open market for 8 months and SDK apps are happening 2nd quarter this year. I spoke with a regional manager last week and the time frame was confirmed at that time. How many YEARS did it take for DJI to open up their system to external developers? 3DR/APM had a solid map function and unlimited waypoints with altitude set years before DJI. I was using the APM features in v2.6 but it was present prior to that.

Better to wait for firmware to become generally stable before loading it up with external clutter that makes corrections more demanding to execute. Things take time and less than a year is pretty darn good.

Oh, if using Litchi or some other SDK app, does your warranty cover things that might have occurred because of them? Better read that warranty, and also note the disclaimer of warranty coverage due to areas of WiFi interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only way Yuneec could offer a realtime map while flying is to make use of Google Maps on the ST16 and then just advise users to set up a mobile hotspot on their phone and connect the ST 16 to the phone.

Late last year when I received the DJI Phantom 4 Pro with built in display the live maps didn't work in the field because they rely on cell tower data as per previous models. Sure you could use cached maps but not all detail is cached. Since this DJI model has a built in display with no SIM CARD there is no cell data. To get the live maps to work in the field one has to set up a mobile hotspot on their phone and have the DJI controller connect to it, then the maps become live again. Yuneec could do something similar.

They can also allow use of an external modem via the USB port. Or is this only for charging? @Tuna

real time maps does not need to come from the net in live time . after all even google maps are cached and are not live .

simply caching the map of the are to the st16 would be great and using that ..
then there would not need a internet connect ..

Reactions: THoff
They can also allow use of an external modem via the USB port. Or is this only for charging? @Tuna

I've not looked at multi network links, but there's no reason you couldn't use a phone will a USB cable. It's correct though that maps can be cached quite effectively to give the sort of coverage that you'd want for flying. Expect to see more of this later in the year :)

Reactions: zandoli

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop