Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Wind effects on the TH

Thanks a lot! I took your advice, and even removed my belt so the belt buckle didn't interfere.
Ever try explaining to the cops, why you're in the middle a park full of children with your pants around your ankles, spinning a device around with a camera mounted to it?
;)

You explained your issue with the belt, which is the only thing I did not remove, but you did not say how your calibration and flight went. Hopefully you had a good solid flight.

Reactions: Jester
You explained your issue with the belt, which is the only thing I did not remove, but you did not say how your calibration and flight went. Hopefully you had a good solid flight.
Well, the cop and park part, I was just joking about. I just went out to a meadow area on my property, but I did remove my belt, watch, and everything else to do the calibration. Still haven't figured out how to remove the 3 titanium cages and 6 rods in my spine, but I'm not sure if it flies better or not yet. After having all the dancing around issue when I got it back, no calibration seemed to fix it, but I did the firmware update and recalibrated everything and then let it sit the 13-15 minutes, but the A.D.D. kicked in and I walked over to my backhoe and started cleaning crap out of one of our ponds, so it actually sat long enough to drain the one battery I took over there with me and never got flown that perfect day. When I did finally get back in to try it, it was already dark so I took it for a quick, short, and low trip a few hundred feet up the driveway and back and it definitely was better but not as stable as it used to be.
In it's defense, on that short trip it was windy, I was low to the ground because my driveway has trees all along it and the dark makes the branches hard to see, and I didn't have the landing gear raised. I know what you're thinking...Get out and fly it then!
In my defense, my honey-do list contains, and I quote: Convert pontoon boat into a floating Tiki bar before my friends come to visit. Clean out the pond and install my new fountain and lights before my friends come. Restore and paint the big chicken coop before the chickens get delivered on March 13th.
Between those quick little chores and dealing with remodeling guys and the electrician doing my shop...and weather, I haven't gotten out for any real flying. Thank God I don't have a job, huh?

image.jpeg This a great thread, thanks for all the info and advice! I've been itching to take my H up again but been worried about the wind all week. I'm out on the flatland of central Illinois and you'd be surprised how consistently breezy it is here. But today was killing me, my farmer went out and played on my 40, just worked up a couple of damp areas, and I wanted a picture of the cool pattern he left in the field, especially after the morning showers jacked up the contrast between the darker fresh till and the lighter unworked dirt. Winds were steady 20mph gusting to 25, drying out the moisture and the cool contrast, but also way far over the 12mph recommendation for my comfort, having just repaired the drone after an unexpected crash. (I guess 'unexpected' is almost the definition of a crash, tho, right?).

Anyway, after reading through this thread, I went out and got my pic in 20+mph winds with not the least hitch. Turned the nose into the wind and take-off and landing were smooth as you could ask for, and popped it right up to a good altitude where it flew like a champ, steady and obedient. Should have taken the time to tweak the camera, but I was too busy handling the wind issues to worry about the camera, at least this time. But it wouldn't have happened at all without this forum and everyone's insight and advice. Thanks!!

Reactions: Tuna and Jester
Getting the photo was not nearly as important as was expanding your ability and developing expanded functionality of your aircraft. Kudos to you for taking a step outside of your comfort zone. The photo is pretty neat too though;)

Reactions: Twisterdink
Fascinating thread, got me thinking..... When I used to fly RC Heli's with variable pitch, they were pretty stable in the wind and didn't get blown around in the hover but would climb in the gusts and the pilot had to decrease pitch to maintain altitude. Our modern drones have fixed pitch props so the only way they can counteract any changes in available lift to maintain height is change prop RPM. Lower RPM means less stability because each prop has less thrust to start with and then when it does get blown around, has to vary thrust more than it would in still air to get the same effect - and that takes longer than a small variation.

Getting the photo was not nearly as important as was expanding your ability and developing expanded functionality of your aircraft. Kudos to you for taking a step outside of your comfort zone. The photo is pretty neat too though;)
Thanks, I agree 100%. (Thanks on the photo too.) Wind speed was crimping my air time! My comfort zone gets a workout, sometimes I step out of it too far or without proper consideration. But anxious as I was to fly the H the other day, I reined myself in (yay me) when I heard thunder as I was setting up, and waited until there was no lightning risk. That's a topic I should do a search on here, but I can't imagine a scenario where sending a drone up in the vicinity of lightning is not crazy -- and yet aircraft survive lightning strikes undamaged on a regular basis. Then again, someone standing out in an open area flying a drone might not fare as well. :rolleyes:

My first ever experiment with 360 photo was on a clear but windy day. In the original set of photos there are two photos with arm and rotor(parts) because of the tilt against the wind for compensating drift. Edited them away.... :)
My hat off for the stability of this platform.

Link to pano

Also hat off for the pano-program, I'll buy this software because of several perfect stiched pano's.

Reactions: Jester
The H is the best in its class in windy conditions. I take my H out when my friends don't dare take their Phantoms up. :)

Yes same here, its been very windy here in FL if it weren't for my H and the Solo I wouldn't be flying.

This is my experience with the H during, what I consider, moderately strong winds. I had to make some minor corrections, but other than that it is pretty solid.

I get tangled with the Pro/Advanced naming, but this particular unit did not have the real sense module installed.

As PatR suggests, perhaps it wasn't the wind but calibrations?

Greetings!
Noticeably improved with the landing gear raised!

My first ever experiment with 360 photo was on a clear but windy day. In the original set of photos there are two photos with arm and rotor(parts) because of the tilt against the wind for compensating drift. Edited them away.... :)
My hat off for the stability of this platform.

Link to pano

Also hat off for the pano-program, I'll buy this software because of several perfect stiched pano's.
What program are you using for your panos? I have used Microsoft ICE and ptgui, and 3dsuite.

What program are you using for your panos? I have used Microsoft ICE and ptgui, and 3dsuite.

I tried ICE but that was not working for me, tho I tried several times meticulously following instructions. After that tried several progs and bought Panorama Studio 3 pro. Very simple interface, works nice.
Tried PTGUI as well, very good also.

Cheers!

Have a windsock in the back yard where I usually fly out of, these can be helpful for getting an idea of wind speed and direction. Got it from a company funwithwind.com. It is portable also, looks nice and colorful, and adds the the atmosphere.

Wind socks can be obtained where the amount they stick out into the wind can actually be used to gauge wind speed. Look them up at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. Don't know how that might work for generally obtained wind socks though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33