Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Would Strong Radar Disrupt The H's Signals Or Electronics?

Reaction score
I want to film a prominent lighthouse located nearby but it is situated near a ground radar station used for the busy shipping lanes out in the Bay and Ocean.

Would a shipping radar station cause a problem with the aircraft for any reason I may be overlooking? I'm thinking it would be no different than the ground radar used at all airports where all kinds of things are flying by unaffected. Any cause for alarm?

Any strong radio signal can overload any or all of the H's receivers... so, yes. Proceed with caution.

Just what I was afraid of. And they would be strobg signals reaching across water as far as they do. Thanks for the input. Hate to crash because of something obvious.

I may have to adjust my plans, then, for flying and shooting this Wednesday when the weather is supposed to finally give us a break. Been cooped up for days now enduring a typical Northeast Mid-Atlantic region bout of crappy winter weather. Shooting that lighthouse was my beacon this last week. Oh well, I'll find a different subject, be zen-like with the Typhoon, and just go with the flow.

You could test the area with a cheap spectrum analyzer like the RF explorer to get an idea of the power levels on the ground, anyway. A good overload and interference test (at least for the 2.4Ghz control system of the H) would be to fly some other cheaper rc aircraft in the area and see how it performs......... Several factors come into play, not the least of which is the design of the receiver and other things that we have no data on - I've seen some people fly their 900 MHz LRS systems near cell towers and they lose their craft... others don't.

Had not considered that approach. Knowing is believing, but like you say there are some unknowns here for me to consider finding myself right in the middle of. I would hate to lose an aircraft, especially by my own hands.

I've had similar concerns over other areas I've wanted to film. For example, I wanted to shoot - from a respectable distance - a man single-handedly erecting a gigantic transmission tower, section by section, all by himself. He had to have nerves of steel. But I was afraid of the unknown there, too, in more ways than one.

Safe flying comes first, but wanting to capture that image regardless of the risk sometimes is tempting. I guess that's when good judgement is supposed to kick in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop