Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

18x zoom camera

Reaction score
I see on Ebay that a Tornado H920 equipped w/ a camera that looks similar to a CGO3 camera. The camera has 18x zoom function (digital I'm assuming), but I can find no other info on it. Does anyone have info or experience with this camera?
Thanks for any response.

That was the V18 camera which is no longer marketed as far as I know. I don't know of anybody on here that has one, I have the CGO4 version as do most.
I remember seeing a video posted by Yuneec themselves showing the V18 in action and it looked pretty rubbish.
There is an early video with them talking about it here at NAB
and if you Google H920 and V18 there are one or two videos.
If you want it for inspection it may be of some use I guess, but don't discount it on my say so. Also I would ignore the Yuneec rep talking about 40 mins on stock Yuneec batteries, that is at least a 50% exaggeration of flight time.

Reactions: ttmarch
That was the V18 camera which is no longer marketed as far as I know. I don't know of anybody on here that has one, I have the CGO4 version as do most.
I remember seeing a video posted by Yuneec themselves showing the V18 in action and it looked pretty rubbish.
There is an early video with them talking about it here at NAB
and if you Google H920 and V18 there are one or two videos.
If you want it for inspection it may be of some use I guess, but don't discount it on my say so. Also I would ignore the Yuneec rep talking about 40 mins on stock Yuneec batteries, that is at least a 50% exaggeration of flight time.
Thanks for the info.

They were not able to stabilize the 18 zoom camera for video at max focal length, and the DJI folks were all over making that a very public, very big deal at the time. The time frame was pretty much the beginning of brand flame wars, and the 920 was offering much the competition did not at the time, including much better reliability.

But that’s all yesterday, when Yuneec was trying to be a market leader, but with incredibly bad timing.

Last edited:
Had a V18 and CGO4, came with the 920 package. The V18 in actual size was about 2X-3X the size of CGO3. It was never sold in the USA, never made it that far after advertisement. It was sold in UK market with low success and crops up now & then when old inventory is found.

Mine worked for a short time, then the gimbal broke... no pitch. I had gotten it for inspection purpose... doesn't require high quality video or stills. It was very poor lens quality, grainy, low flat contrast, and focal hunt unless high contrast subject. No shop would touch it to examine for repair, Yuneec wouldn't even acknowledge it since not sold in USA. They stated it was a pirated product into USA: contacted several UK shops with no success too. Was able to salvage 1/3 paid value for it on a trade. Biggest disappointment and loss.

Since then acquired a DJI Z30: a 30x lens, 6X Digital for 180X total. Extremely expensive but very impressive, stable image for the Matrice platforms... intended for SAR, Inspection, and Survalince... not a 2K or 4K cinema camera. But can see eye movement & blinks on a subject more than a 1/4 mile away easily and clearly.

Let the V18 package pass, not worth your time.

Had a V18 and CGO4, came with the 920 package. The V18 in actual size was about 2X-3X the size of CGO3. It was never sold in the USA, never made it that far after advertisement. It was sold in UK market with low success and crops up now & then when old inventory is found.

Mine worked for a short time, then the gimbal broke... no pitch. I had gotten it for inspection purpose... doesn't require high quality video or stills. It was very poor lens quality, grainy, low flat contrast, and focal hunt unless high contrast subject. No shop would touch it to examine for repair, Yuneec wouldn't even acknowledge it since not sold in USA. They stated it was a pirated product into USA: contacted several UK shops with no success too. Was able to salvage 1/3 paid value for it on a trade. Biggest disappointment and loss.

Since then acquired a DJI Z30: a 30x lens, 6X Digital for 180X total. Extremely expensive but very impressive, stable image for the Matrice platforms... intended for SAR, Inspection, and Survalince... not a 2K or 4K cinema camera. But can see eye movement & blinks on a subject more than a 1/4 mile away easily and clearly.

Let the V18 package pass, not worth your time.
They do have v18 cameras for usa and I called yuneec and they said they are compatible with the 920+

Reactions: Docdor and ttmarch
They do have v18 cameras for usa and I called yuneec and they said they are compatible with the 920+

Sorry, that's simply Not correct... not sure whom you conversed, but that isn't factual or accurate.
Never made for USA; yes they had big promotional marketing plans like many optional products and they were "intended" for USA but never marketed in the USA or sold in USA.

As far at the H920+, I don't think that's accurate either but you'd have to get a H920+ Owner to examine their Camera options and if the V18 is listed... I doubt it. The V18 used different firmware than the H920+ cameras and it was basically phased out as junk before the H920+ released. There's a few Owners on the Forum that have found out the hard way that even the CG04 Camera is different for H920 & H920+.

Try to buy direct from Yuneec USA or get a Yuneec USA Part Number for the V18. I had one, and Yuneec was very clear it wasn't a USA product and would not even consider receiving it for repair estimate.

Reactions: ;-) and ttmarch
Sorry, that's simply Not correct... not sure whom you conversed, but that isn't factual or accurate.
Never made for USA; yes they had big promotional marketing plans like many optional products and they were "intended" for USA but never marketed in the USA or sold in USA.

As far at the H920+, I don't think that's accurate either but you'd have to get a H920+ Owner to examine their Camera options and if the V18 is listed... I doubt it. The V18 used different firmware than the H920+ cameras and it was basically phased out as junk before the H920+ released. There's a few Owners on the Forum that have found out the hard way that even the CG04 Camera is different for H920 & H920+.

Try to buy direct from Yuneec USA or get a Yuneec USA Part Number for the V18. I had one, and Yuneec was very clear it wasn't a USA product and would not even consider receiving it for repair estimate.
Well one I talked to a dealer yesterday that told me the 920s with v18 they have are usa set ups but they did say they didn't know if the v18 would work on the 920+ .now today when usa yuneec called me back I asked the question is it compatible with the 920+ and after being on hold he returned and said yes it is.I told him it was not in the camera menu and I was told when you put the camera on and turn it all on it should show up to be able to bind to it.and the dealer said they sell cameras by themselves.so I don't know who to believe at this point. I told yuneec I didn't want to spend the money if it wasn't.

Well one I talked to a dealer yesterday that told me the 920s with v18 they have are usa set ups but they did say they didn't know if the v18 would work on the 920+ .now today when usa yuneec called me back I asked the question is it compatible with the 920+ and after being on hold he returned and said yes it is.I told him it was not in the camera menu and I was told when you put the camera on and turn it all on it should show up to be able to bind to it.and the dealer said they sell cameras by themselves.so I don't know who to believe at this point. I told yuneec I didn't want to spend the money if it wasn't.
Wow... you've encountered a few bad examples of both Dealers & Yuneec support in one day. The Dealers aren't accurate, I too challenged the eBay Dealers a few months back on their listed H920 V18 sets... they didn't stand on their accuracy when challenged with verification questions and accurate data. The Yuneec support line evidently doesn't know the H920 series. The H920+ uses a ST16, the H920 uses a ST24, totally different RC's. Plugging a V18 into non-supported RC and expecting it to show up... logically is off. The V18 Camera doesn't download a "plug & play" driver package and update the ST16 Firmware.

Sorry to hear you're receiving bad info from sources we "Yuneec Buyers" should expect accuracy.
But, best form of verification is proof by fire. Call in and state you have a V18 that the gimbal stopped Yawing... my experience. See if they'll issue a repair ticket, I also called several of the larger Dealers that repair, none would touch the V18, not a supported camera and not a USA product. Not that I'd recommend it, but buy the V18 package and try it on a H920+... you may be looking for a non-existent repair similar to my ordeal. (seriously, I would not recommend it).

Wow... you've encountered a few bad examples of both Dealers & Yuneec support in one day. The Dealers aren't accurate, I too challenged the eBay Dealers a few months back on their listed H920 V18 sets... they didn't stand on their accuracy when challenged with verification questions and accurate data. The Yuneec support line evidently doesn't know the H920 series. The H920+ uses a ST16, the H920 uses a ST24, totally different RC's. Plugging a V18 into non-supported RC and expecting it to show up... logically is off. The V18 Camera doesn't download a "plug & play" driver package and update the ST16 Firmware.

Sorry to hear you're receiving bad info from sources we "Yuneec Buyers" should expect accuracy.
But, best form of verification is proof by fire. Call in and state you have a V18 that the gimbal stopped Yawing... my experience. See if they'll issue a repair ticket, I also called several of the larger Dealers that repair, none would touch the V18, not a supported camera and not a USA product. Not that I'd recommend it, but buy the V18 package and try it on a H920+... you may be looking for a non-existent repair similar to my ordeal. (seriously, I would not recommend it).
I hear you on that .I was just pondering if. One was cheap enough I might try one but I know they won't repair them.the place is liquidating them .and its in the same place there Wharehouse is. Id thought about asking for a picture of the sticker with they number on the camera but yes I think it's risky. Pro b my just forget the idea thanks for your reply

Looked up my old notes...
When my V18 was working, I explored the thought of upgrading to the H920+.
Yuneec's response to a few questions, I'll post the section that touches on the V18 compatibility.
Actually, I even found out later that their support for the H920 was not accurate. They only Upgrade the H920, no repairs.

*** pasted in email section ***
Update for Case 87435 - "H920 questions"
Hello Doug

To answer your questions in order

1. The difference between the to versions is flight controller programming, Additional flight feature such as the add of way points, and the transmitters.
2. Yes we will continue to support the H920 platform.
3. Yes you can upgrade your H920 to the plus version for $400 plus shipping.
4. No there were no inherent problems or concerns with the H920.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you upgrade to the plus version you will lose the ability to do team mode and the ability to use the V18 as the plus model is only compatible with the CGO4.

Thank you

Technical Support | Yuneec USA Inc.
2275 Sampson Ave. Ste 200
Corona, CA 92879
Support: 844-898-6332
Sales: 844-343-9966
us.yuneec.com

Reactions: ;-)
Looked up my old notes...
When my V18 was working, I explored the thought of upgrading to the H920+.
Yuneec's response to a few questions, I'll post the section that touches on the V18 compatibility.
Actually, I even found out later that their support for the H920 was not accurate. They only Upgrade the H920, no repairs.

*** pasted in email section ***
Update for Case 87435 - "H920 questions"
Hello Doug

To answer your questions in order

1. The difference between the to versions is flight controller programming, Additional flight feature such as the add of way points, and the transmitters.
2. Yes we will continue to support the H920 platform.
3. Yes you can upgrade your H920 to the plus version for $400 plus shipping.
4. No there were no inherent problems or concerns with the H920.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you upgrade to the plus version you will lose the ability to do team mode and the ability to use the V18 as the plus model is only compatible with the CGO4.

Thank you

Technical Support | Yuneec USA Inc.
2275 Sampson Ave. Ste 200
Corona, CA 92879
Support: 844-898-6332
Sales: 844-343-9966
us.yuneec.com
Well they answered everything.I wonder what's so special about the v18 besides zoom

I hear you on that .I was just pondering if. One was cheap enough I might try one but I know they won't repair them.the place is liquidating them .and its in the same place there Wharehouse is. Id thought about asking for a picture of the sticker with they number on the camera but yes I think it's risky. Pro b my just forget the idea thanks for your reply

Not trying to be pushy... but trying to keep you from my painful experience. Not sure what the V18 is going for now... but I paid a premium (in my opinion) to get it. I knew it was a poor photography grade camera, but also realized it was targeted at SAR & Inspection. The V18 sitting static on my table set to 10x wasn't acceptable 3 out 5 shots. it was always drifting, when pumped up to 18X... it was simply a fuzzy vision. Could you see detail? Yes but not clear.

Then when it broke after maybe 2 hours of power-on time with no exchange or possible repair... it was an expensive paperweight.
Extremely frustrating... like buying a super clean '34 Rod only to later find out it's full of screen sheets & putty. Urrrg!

Not trying to be pushy... but trying to keep you from my painful experience. Not sure what the V18 is going for now... but I paid a premium (in my opinion) to get it. I knew it was a poor photography grade camera, but also realized it was targeted at SAR & Inspection. The V18 sitting static on my table set to 10x wasn't acceptable 3 out 5 shots. it was always drifting, when pumped up to 18X... it was simply a fuzzy vision. Could you see detail? Yes but not clear.

Then when it broke after maybe 2 hours of power-on time with no exchange or possible repair... it was an expensive paperweight.
Extremely frustrating... like buying a super clean '34 Rod only to later find out it's full of screen sheets & putty. Urrrg!
I appreciate your input no I'm not wanting to waist money. I guess ill just save some extra cash for a cgoet. The v18. Would have giving me a longer distance view on our property to not scare off game and predators for observation purposes

I appreciate your input no I'm not wanting to waist money. I guess ill just save some extra cash for a cgoet. The v18. Would have giving me a longer distance view on our property to not scare off game and predators for observation purposes
I may have a CGOET for sale down the road. I have a new one in box and alum case. Haven't decided if I'll keep it or the H480 compatible to it. Pondering a H520 or H Plus... all just gossip at moment while waiting to hear more on H Plus or waiting to see if prices drop on used H520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval