Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

1st time flying...

Reaction score
hello, just bought the Typhoon4k q500 with the controller with screen on it. I flew it for the first time at night so I'm wondering if I answer my own question, but when you slide the camera or fly the drone watching the camera feed is it supposed to lag behind horribly or be smooth? And like I said or is this just it trying to focus at night? It is literally like street view on google earth loading on a slow phone.. is this normal?

I read somewhere about the q500 that it should never be piloted by relying on the screen because of the lag time between input and what you see on the screen, so what your experiencing is probably normal

Man, is there a drone out there that you can fly by picture? I thought this one was a really good drone and now I am regretting buying it.

Man, is there a drone out there that you can fly by picture? I thought this one was a really good drone and now I am regretting buying it.

I think most drones that stream video over wifi are like that, though parrot offers the "bepop 2" with fpv glasses that may offer a more "live" feel, but I've never used one.

Capture, transmission, and decoding that signal into what you see onscreen takes time, so I'd expect some lag even from the most expensive drones out there

is there a drone out there that you can fly by picture?
Yes, there are many FPV racing drones you can fly using goggles. Those are generally short range and are built to race or fly very fast.

The Q500 is designed as a stable photo and video platform. It is extremely good for that purpose and is one of the most stable platforms on the market. And it's very easy to fly. It is intended to fly over things like trees so you have to maintain good clearance from anything nearby. It is not designed as an FPV drone. It is best to fly it while keeping visual contact at all times. The screen is intended to be used for setting up the camera and framing pictures and video. You can decrease the lag by adding an external antenna to the ST10.

I bought it at BestBuy without the bundle having the box and everything and it ended up being around 900. It was presented as new behind a locked window. I used it today and it was beyond different. There is just a delay in the screen on the controller to the Typhoon.

Conditions can change and keeping the ST10 pointed at the Q is important. You should also check to see if there is a sd card under the battery on the ST10. That is where the telemetry gets recorded and it's needed for any warranty claims. An 8GB class 10 card is perfect.

For that price you should have gotten the case, steady grip and extra batteries.
Amazon.com: Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Quadcopter Drone UHD Ultimate Bundle includes Aluminum Case, Two Batteries, 32GB Card, Microfiber Cloth, and 1 Year Warranty Extension: Electronics

Well crap, if BestBuy didn't have a 10% restocking fee I would do it but its just over 100 dollars i'd be losing. I know the batteries each are worth 134.00 but still, is there any where to get the batteries cheaper and the box alone? The memory card is down there also, so I am good to go if I need to send it in under warranty. Thanks for the info though, but I would still like to know if you definitely know where a box and batteries are for cheaper than store bought like BestBuy or HobbyTown because I am newer into the drone world. I learned how to fly a drone on a Traxxis Aton. Very sketchy to learn on a drone that fast but it served me right after now flying a Typhoon, much slower but I like the control of the Q500.

Last edited:
Well crap, if BestBuy didn't have a 10% restocking fee I would do it but its just over 100 dollars i'd be losing. I know the batteries each are worth 134.00 but still, is there any where to get the batteries cheaper and the box alone? The memory card is down there also, so I am good to go if I need to send it in under warranty. Thanks for the info though, but I would still like to know if you definitely know where a box and batteries are for cheaper than store bought like BestBuy or HobbyTown because I am newer into the drone world. I learned how to fly a drone on a Traxxis Aton. Very sketchy to learn on a drone that fast but it served me right after now flying a Typhoon, much slower but I like the control of the Q500.
Keep the Q. The video is especially good and you can't get that out of a fast machine. Yuneec's camera gimbals are amazing for video.
There are many sources for after market batteries that perform well. These have gotten good reviews: Amazon.com: Morpilot 2 Pack Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Battery, 3S 6300mAh 11.1V LiPO Battery High Performance with Charging Protection Genuine Parts Extra Flight Time: Toys & Games

This looks like a good option for a case: Backpack Carrying Bag Case for Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RC Quadcopter drone USA | eBay

Reactions: typhoontrisroy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss