Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3 questions about using other gear (radios, goggles, antennas).

Reaction score
1. Do you have to use the st-16 to control the Typhoon H or can you bind it to a "normal" radio? I know there's a "team mode" where you can use two st-16's, or the wand, together so that one person can fly while the other frames the camera, but can you bind it to a Spektrum DX6 to control the gimbal?

2. I have some old SkyZone goggles with 5.8ghz diversity receivers in them. Would they pick up the video? Could be fun to use or let somebody else "ride along".

3. I see people using the 4Hawks or ITElite antennas to get better range/stronger signals. Can you use other antennas with a cable going to the st-16 instead? I have a big patch antenna I used to use on a tripod (8" instead of 1" on st-16). Would that work? Has anybody tried to use a tracker with a yagi or helical antenna to keep long range control/video? What's the polarization of the antennas on the st-16?

These questions are more out of curiosity than anything. Not looking to take the Typhoon H out 10 miles. Thanks!

I’ll only answer one of the questions. Yuneec products require Yuneec controllers. For the H the ST-16 is your best option as trying to bind to other versions of Yuneec controllers typically leaves one or more functions inop.

Reactions: KellyR
1. You cannot use a different brand of controller with the the H.
2. Only goggles with an HDMI input can be used with the H.
3. 4Hawks and Itelite antennas have proved to be reliable when used on Yuneec controllers. The video antenna is 5.8 GHZ RHCP. Using an extremely directional antenna would likely be difficult to maintain proper orientation when tracking a moving target. The control distance with stock antennas is about 1 mi. Increasing that distance increases the likelihood of a one way flight.

1. You cannot use a different brand of controller with the the H.
2. Only goggles with an HDMI input can be used with the H.
3. 4Hawks and Itelite antennas have proved to be reliable when used on Yuneec controllers. The video antenna is 5.8 GHZ RHCP. Using an extremely directional antenna would likely be difficult to maintain proper orientation when tracking a moving target. The control distance with stock antennas is about 1 mi. Increasing that distance increases the likelihood of a one way flight.

Thanks Steve!

1. That's a bummer, but I figured. I ordered the wand & will give that a try. It would be cool to even use the Breeze's "Xbox" looking controller for the gimbal.

2. My SkyZones don't have an HDMI in, but they do have an 1/8" video jack in. The cord that came with them goes to RCA, but maybe I'll try it with a converter for fun (it's cheap to do).

3. I ordered the 4Hawks & will give that a try too. I was just curious if anybody had tried a tracker on the H with a directional antenna. The tracker would move the antenna so it was always pointing directly at the craft. I never had one, but "back in the day" the guys I know did. They were flying a lot of planes 20+ miles out. A couple of them actually had trailers with "cockpits" in them. They flew with a flight stick & throttle instead of typical radio controls & used a 42" TV to see the camera view. It was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
They were flying a lot of planes 20+ miles out. A couple of them actually had trailers with "cockpits" in them. They flew with a flight stick & throttle instead of typical radio controls & used a 42" TV to see the camera view. It was pretty cool.
Very cool.....:) :)

Very cool.....:) :)

Yeah, it was really neat to see. One of the guys even wired me up a set. I never used it much, but I still have it. The weekend we (I say we, but it was really he, he was way smarter than I am, I was just the gopher that weekend) tore into things to do the joystick we never finished putting the uhf on the quad, life took over, & it just kinda got left. Hoping to get back into the hobby, relearn all the stuff I forgot (and more), & go back to it.
WP_20141114_001.jpgWP_20141129_009.jpgWP_20141129_006.jpgV__5A48.jpg

In relation to goggles. Yunnec have a unit called Skyview. I had one delivered today but have not had a chance to use it. It has gotten good reports and would be compatible with any HDMI product so I am told. Purchase and shipping to Ireland 89€ from Germany.

Yeah, it was really neat to see. One of the guys even wired me up a set. I never used it much, but I still have it. The weekend we (I say we, but it was really he, he was way smarter than I am, I was just the gopher that weekend) tore into things to do the joystick we never finished putting the uhf on the quad, life took over, & it just kinda got left. Hoping to get back into the hobby, relearn all the stuff I forgot (and more), & go back to it.
View attachment 17126View attachment 17128View attachment 17127View attachment 17125
I want that simulator in your man cave.

• Haha
Found a recent video of one of the guys flying out of his trailer cockpit.

he Kellyr there is a way I am going to try next weekend when the parts get here. its called a LED display FPV 5.8G 600mW 32CH HDMI to AV Transmitter Module. I will let you know how it works. just going to run a 1' hdmi cable to it and then use my goggles it was like 42 bucks. it takes the hdmi out of the transmitter and changes to 5.8 ghz analog video.as for the antennas you should be able to use most available unless it is a powered one then you would just have to figure out power for it as far as the controller. the bird also can use other antenna I have aftermarkets on mine. hope this helps you

Last edited:
Cool... thanks! I saw Skyzone makes one of those. They made my old goggles. Could be a good combo.

Ok I should have just bought the 40 dollar one kelly it got here yesterday and only has an analog input with a isb 2.0 connecter so today I ordered a hdmi converter for 8 bucks and I will see how it goes

Ya’ll know there are wireless HDMI transmitters and receivers on the market, yes? Not down in the dirt cheap but they may well be the most effective way of dealing with Yuneec video signal routing while avoiding restrictive cables.

Ya’ll know there are wireless HDMI transmitters and receivers on the market, yes? Not down in the dirt cheap but they may well be the most effective way of dealing with Yuneec video signal routing while avoiding restrictive cables.
Yes, but we're talking about receiving an hd signal on sd goggles. This gizmo converts the signal. I don't think the Skyzones would pick up the signal for viewing without it. Not an expert though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace