Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3G for ST16S

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Is there a way to have the ST16S having its own 3G (mobile internet) - connection ?

I think of the USB-interface with a maybe compatible dongle and sim-card ?

Hello everybody,

Is there a way to have the ST16S having its own 3G (mobile internet) - connection ?

I think of the USB-interface with a maybe compatible dongle and sim-card ?

Good question, in principle is an Android tablet so you can say that there would only be to click the dongle 3G or 4G and configure it. But I imagine that you can only have one main connection at a time, when you're flying with the wifi of the camera and when you do not do, the Internet connection with the dongle.

There may be a way just to connect your St16S to your mobile via a USB cable to get internet that way. Also you can do it over Bluetooth connection.

In this way you can have both 'internet' and connection to the camera without having to download the 'maps' before ?

I cannot see why not if you have some connection that brings Internet to your ST16S.
I guess a USB cable will be the simplest, cheapest way to do it. You can just keep your phone in a pocket where it usually is and run a USB cable from it to your St16S. It cannot be as simple as that.

Plus since there is no extra radio communication added to your ST16s which will be a case with Internet over bluetooth or connecting a 3G/4G dongle to your St16S it won't add any extra interference to your st16s remote<->drone communication.

I Tried :
1/ Bluetooth, seems not available ? Can not find it in any menu's or Android-settings.
2/ Iphone in thethering thru usb-cable, does not work either.

What am I doing wrong ?

The st16 does not have Bluetooth I think yuneec have wanted to make sure it was kept plane and simple and if you want to use the st16 for the internet then you would only be able to if you were not using the drone as that's just asking for alot of problems if u were flying

But with USB it should work, no ?

Sorry I did not know there is no bluetooth in St16S.

USB works and I have just tested it.

I do not know if the bottom micro USB port on ST16S works for this purpose as it requires a male micro USB to male micro USB cable and it is not something that everybody will have laying around. I have a lot of them but none of them has male micro usb on both ends. You can purchase it on ebay if you want and try with the bottom USB port on your ST16S but there is no need to do it just for what you want to do.

Simply use the top USB port located at the top near left aerial and you can use your normal smartphone charging cable with a male USB(normal size) on one end and a male USB(micro size) on the other. I mean those type of chargers that have a power plug to go into your power outlet and a normal size USB port on a plug unit that you use to plug a USB cable into for charging.

All you need to do is plug your charging cable into that port(on ST16S) with the normal USB size end of your cable, then plug the micro USB end of your cable into your smartphone. Then on your smartphone go to settings and find Hotspot & Tethering menu. If you click on it there should be USB tethering option(which is normally set to off). And if you turn it on you should get Internet on your ST16S through your the USB cable connected to your smartphone.

Try it with a android since yuneec stuff is Android based I know tethering should not matter what device but you know how Google and apple don't get on so worth a try and if that does not work then it's not designed to run like that as I think it's not

No I have no interest in trying to add internet connection to my st16 as adding this when using the H you are just asking for a disaster I only connect to my wifi when using UAV toolbox at home when planing my route

Well their could be a conflict of software & WiFi connection you could end up with a fly away or st16 freezing if yuneec wanted they could have added the Bluetooth function and remember the os on the st16 will never get any newer like we are on Oreo and now moving to android 9 pie and as a beta tester for Google maps and os the controller should not find it's self getting slow like the older android phones do or you android TV boxes

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval