Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

4Hawks range extending antenna.

I have not used one, but have seen good reports on them.

I'll add that technically these are not legal to use. FCC Part 15.203 and 15.204 prohibit using an antenna other than the one the transmitter was certified with.

Having said that, the FCC seems completely uninterested in enforcing this, so I would not worry about that.

Keep in mind that if you are involved in an incident that ends up in litigation that is something that is looked at.

Regardless, remember even if you use a range extending antenna you are still required to remain within visual line of sight at all times.

I'll add that technically these are not legal to use. FCC Part 15.203 and 15.204 prohibit using an antenna other than the one the transmitter was certified with.

Having said that, the FCC seems completely uninterested in enforcing this, so I would not worry about that.

Keep in mind that if you are involved in an incident that ends up in litigation that is something that is looked at.

Regardless, remember even if you use a range extending antenna you are still required to remain within visual line of sight at all times.

Thanks. I was only really interested in it for the video extension.

Absolutely love mine, improved my signal significantly! Flew 2500ft at 200 AGL and never lost a bar on the controller. Absolutely worth it! Compared to the stock antenna including the flat directional, would take my 4hawks anyday

Absolutely love mine, improved my signal significantly! Flew 2500ft at 200 AGL and never lost a bar on the controller. Absolutely worth it! Compared to the stock antenna including the flat directional, would take my 4hawks anyday

That is way outside my ability to see it!! VLOS gets shorter and shorter the older you get :(

Thanks for the input. As I had said it’s the improved communication between the H and the st16plus that I’m interested in. I’m too scared to let mine go past vlos. At least if it goes down I have some place to start to look for it.[emoji38]

I use a 4Hawks on both my Typhoons. The farthest I’ve gone is 2500’ from the controller. That’s the limit I can see it and determine orientation. Even then, it’s just a little dot. At 250’ altitude, full strength signals. With the stock antennas, 2.8 remained strong, but 5.8 started getting drops in strength and signal at 1300’. Note that I’m flying in suburban DFW Metroplex, a very heavily congested wi-fi area.

I haven’t gotten beyond 2k+ but the 4Hawks is the way to go, special in busy areas, where there are lots of interference.

Further you go, further to come back, battery can be fine then rapidly change.

Don't be standing in a wooded area. Besides losing the VLOS, the transmission doesn't like the "blockage" of the trees. I've had to wait for about 15 seconds (which seems like an hour!) for video to come un-frozen before I touched the controls. I agree with Phaedrus about the ability to see it at distance. The older I get, the blinder I am!!!...

Attachments

• DJI_0010.jpg
    DJI_0010.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: Jal7884
I was sceptical at first, but you will be impressed with the 4hawks.

WOW!!! You’re bringing up a legality for something that is not enforced ,that makes flying many times safer. With friends like you we won’t need enemies .

WOW!!! You’re bringing up a legality for something that is not enforced ,that makes flying many times safer. With friends like you we won’t need enemies .

I have never told anyone not to use an extender. But I also fail to understand what is wrong with knowing the applicable laws and rules are. And having been an expert witness in a few RC related legal cases I can absolutely tell you one of the first things that gets looked at is if everything was being operated legally.

I have plenty of friends, and if sharing with others what the laws are loses me friends, oh well. And I fail to understand what the benefit of ignorance of the laws accomplishes. Because, you know what they say, ignorance of the law is no defense.

Reactions: PatR and Steve Carr
I have never told anyone not to use an extender. But I also fail to understand what is wrong with knowing the applicable laws and rules are. And having been an expert witness in a few RC related legal cases I can absolutely tell you one of the first things that gets looked at is if everything was being operated legally.

I have plenty of friends, and if sharing with others what the laws are loses me friends, oh well. And I fail to understand what the benefit of ignorance of the laws accomplishes. Because, you know what they say, ignorance of the law is no defense.
Somethings are better left unsaid my friend .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval