Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

4Hawks XR

Reaction score
Just got my 4hawks XR and so far the distance is half of the stock antennas. All connections are on tight so I'm at a loss as to what's going on here. Am I missing a setting I need to change?

Last edited:
Just got my 4hawks XR and so far the distance is half of the stock antennas. All connections are on tight so I'm at a loss as to what's going on here. Am I missing a setting I need to change?

SR is designed for the H Plus. The 4Hawks site is misleading, and if you do a quick search you will find that the SR is being used.

I've only ever used SR version, wasn't aware that there was even an XR version for drones until I went on the 4hawks website.

I've only ever used SR version, wasn't aware that there was even an XR version for drones until I went on the 4hawks website.
It fits the H Plus controller just fine but like I said before the first test was very disappointing.

It fits the H Plus controller just fine but like I said before the first test was very disappointing.
The XR version is simply a larger antenna than the SR. It should actually work slightly better than the SR.
Does your ST16 have 3 antenna connections or did you have to modify it as shown in the 4Hawks video?

Look at the center connector very carefully at the ST16. If the sma coax connector is bottomed out against the washer behind the nut on the ST16, you may have to remove the washer. The problem may simply be the connector can't screw on far enough to make good contact. If you need a pic please mention it.

It sounds right.
SR = Standard, XR = Extra.
But you have to order the proper configuration for the type of aircraft. It is listed on their website in that fashion.

It sounds right.
SR = Standard, XR = Extra.
But you have to order the proper configuration for the type of aircraft. It is listed on their website in that fashion.
I ordered direct and it said XR for the H Plus. I double checked my order and its correct.

The XR version is simply a larger antenna than the SR. It should actually work slightly better than the SR.
Does your ST16 have 3 antenna connections or did you have to modify it as shown in the 4Hawks video?

Look at the center connector very carefully at the ST16. If the sma coax connector is bottomed out against the washer behind the nut on the ST16, you may have to remove the washer. The problem may simply be the connector can't screw on far enough to make good contact. If you need a pic please mention it.
The center is not bottomed out but both outside connections are

Inspect the pin inside the center connector. Make sure it is secure and is the same as the other connectors.
The next time you fly take the stock antennas with you and if the problem persists, switch out the antennas and compare. It's possible the 4Hawks is defective but you need to compare again before you will know for sure.

Inspect the pin inside the center connector. Make sure it is secure and is the same as the other connectors.
The next time you fly take the stock antennas with you and if the problem persists, switch out the antennas and compare. It's possible the 4Hawks is defective but you need to compare again before you will know for sure.
Took it out to an open field to test again and this time it reached 4000' and I'm sure it would have gone further but it was getting to close to a 500k high power line. At about 3000' the video started to break up some, the sky was very overcast.

Tried the 4hawks again yesterday in Long Beach harbor which is known for heavy wifi interference. With stock antennas I could get out in the harbor about 980' before losing video, with the 4hawks I got to about 2100'. I could never get this close to the Queen Mary from Rainbow Harbor with the stock antennas. Freewell ND1617375

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval