Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

5.8G patch antenna?

Reaction score
My ST16 was suppled with the circular "mushroom" shaped antenna, however the flat square one was also in the box, which one should I be using?

Depends on what you are doing. The mushroom shaped one is omnidirectional, which means it has a good reception everywhere aroung you but not for a large distance. The other one is a directional patch antenna. It has a very good reception within a small angle in front of you.

In other word: Use the the mushroom one if you are flying somewhere close to you and the square on if you want to go far but only in front of you.

If you are not getting video stuttering or dropout on the ST16 while using the omnidirectional mushroom antenna, then continue using it.

If you start having those issues then switch to the square patch antenna. The patch antenna requires that you keep the flat face of it pointed at the aircraft at all times. It is more directional and therefore has a narrower radiation pattern.

Depends on what you are doing. The mushroom shaped one is omnidirectional, which means it has a good reception everywhere aroung you but not for a large distance. The other one is a directional patch antenna. It has a very good reception within a small angle in front of you.

In other word: Use the the mushroom one if you are flying somewhere close to you and the square on if you want to go far but only in front of you.

What would you say a normal distance out
would be out with the
Mushroom antenna.
Ball Park Distance ?
Keith Kuhn

In flat open terrain with fairly heavy 5GHz WiFi traffic , I have been to 1800 feet or more before getting video break up. Hills, trees, and structures can lessen that distance, but those things can also cause trouble with the patch antenna also. Things blocking LOS can cause disruption in the WiFi video feed, but can also effect the RC control to a somewhat lesser extent.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
In flat open terrain with fairly heavy 5GHz WiFi traffic , I have been to 1800 feet or more before getting video break up. Hills, trees, and structures can lessen that distance, but those things can also cause trouble with the patch antenna also. Things blocking LOS can cause disruption in the WiFi video feed, but can also effect the RC control to a somewhat lesser extent.

Thanks for reply.
I certainly understand
about the trees etc.
At 200 ft Altitude if
I get 900 to 1200
Distance I am content.
I may buzz it up this eve
For a sunset shot
Keith Kuhn

Reactions: Mike Irish

This Eve I took it up to
350 and 1200.
No prob.
Trying to capture sunset.
Over lake Erie. A bit far away to get a decent shot.
I send it up this eve
for a shot of the
Strawberry Moon.
Keith Kuhn

Thats 1200' out I take it ? Did you get a pic, its tuff to get a picture of the moon, because the camera doesnt point up enough ? That was my problem anyway.

If you are not getting video stuttering or dropout on the ST16 while using the omnidirectional mushroom antenna, then continue using it.

If you start having those issues then switch to the square patch antenna. The patch antenna requires that you keep the flat face of it pointed at the aircraft at all times. It is more directional and therefore has a narrower radiation pattern.
Certainly find with my 4 H copters, the video doesn't really become choppy or pixalate, the transmission is lost instantly, this maybe a feature of the EU firmware, with the directional 5.8ghz it has flown over and behind me numerous times without loss, just turn around and resume without loss, perhaps not as directional as were lead to believe!

This is How I Envision the Difference Between the 5.8GHz Mushroom & Patch Video Antenna Radiation Pattern's.

Attachments

• 5.8ghz Video 10.0.png
    5.8ghz Video 10.0.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 5.8ghz Video 10.1.png
    5.8ghz Video 10.1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Certainly flying over you a few metres up there's enough bleed through to the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval