Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A funny thing -

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Flew my TH this morning for the first time since 20th September...the bad weather in my area and other, non drone related, commitments prevented flights over the last month. Anyway, upon hand catch landing on the second battery and after hitting the red button my TH started rapid beeping as I was placing it on the ground. Since the motors weren't armed at that point I wasn't overly concerned about it. I switched it off and pulled the battery and had myself a cigarette before shoving in the third battery of the day.

Shortly after switching the aircraft on it started rapid beeping again so I stopped dead in my tracks. I removed the props and started investigating the issue. after fiddling about for a minute a warning came on my screen saying that I had lost GPS (at that point the screen was displaying 19 satellites). I switched off GPS then on again - still the rapid beeping. So I re-booted the controller and re-booted the aircraft...still rapid beeping. Now a compass calibration...still beeping. switched off and re-booted everything again...rapid beeping. Compass calibration again...still beeping. By this time I was thinking about abandoning the flight when something sprang in to my mind from something I'd read a few years ago and for the life of me I can't remember where I came across it. Something about the rate slider. It was at maximum so I nudged it down a touch. Rapid beeping stopped, purple and short white started. I checked that everything was good. Still 19 satellites and battery voltage was down to 16.5v. Hit the red button but was ready for manual if required and took off.

Perfect flight lasting just over 8 minutes and all was good. After that I packed up for the day and went home.

A funny thing.

A funny thing.
I deliberately mixed K3 into J3 to see if it would imitate your issue. It came very close. The beeping would silence when K3 was in a part of it's range. I got some GPS errors, but they are common when powered up indoors.
The striking thing was I got a compass error. Only one. But it is the ONLY time this TH has ever reported a compass error.

It would be worth checking to ensure K3 and J3 are not mixed.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I deliberately mixed K3 into J3 to see if it would imitate your issue. It came very close. The beeping would silence when K3 was in a part of it's range. I got some GPS errors, but they are common when powered up indoors.
The striking thing was I got a compass error. Only one. But it is the ONLY time this TH has ever reported a compass error.

I checked hardware monitor in the field this morning while I was investigating the issue but didn't see anything untoward. However, I'm intending to check again more closely in the morning when I'm fresh out of my shower. The weather in the North of England looks to be rubbish this next couple of days so it'll be something to do while I can't fly.

Incidentally, my back-up aircraft, a P2V+, is currently grounded until I get chance to do a repair in it. I was putting the SD card back into the slot the other day but it went in all wrong and is jammed in out of alignment. I need to find a small enough Phillips screwdriver to undo some piddlingly small crews to get it sorted out. I know I have one to do the job but my son has been in to my driver set and it's missing...bas'tard.

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
Flew my TH this morning for the first time since 20th September...the bad weather in my area and other, non drone related, commitments prevented flights over the last month. Anyway, upon hand catch landing on the second battery and after hitting the red button my TH started rapid beeping as I was placing it on the ground. Since the motors weren't armed at that point I wasn't overly concerned about it. I switched it off and pulled the battery and had myself a cigarette before shoving in the third battery of the day.

Shortly after switching the aircraft on it started rapid beeping again so I stopped dead in my tracks. I removed the props and started investigating the issue. after fiddling about for a minute a warning came on my screen saying that I had lost GPS (at that point the screen was displaying 19 satellites). I switched off GPS then on again - still the rapid beeping. So I re-booted the controller and re-booted the aircraft...still rapid beeping. Now a compass calibration...still beeping. switched off and re-booted everything again...rapid beeping. Compass calibration again...still beeping. By this time I was thinking about abandoning the flight when something sprang in to my mind from something I'd read a few years ago and for the life of me I can't remember where I came across it. Something about the rate slider. It was at maximum so I nudged it down a touch. Rapid beeping stopped, purple and short white started. I checked that everything was good. Still 19 satellites and battery voltage was down to 16.5v. Hit the red button but was ready for manual if required and took off.

Perfect flight lasting just over 8 minutes and all was good. After that I packed up for the day and went home.

A funny thing.
Thanks for bringing this up FV. I didn’t fly much in Michigan this summer due to some projects I was working on and golfing a lot. I usually keep the K3 Rate Slider on full most of the time and was finding I was getting a lot of GPS drop outs while on the ground. I attributed it to the tall trees all around me, but it could easily be the same as you experienced.

Flush, was it the same kind of beeping you get when everything is booted up but before motor start, deflect the right stick and; rapid beeps - until the stick is centered. If so, it could be that one of your stick is off (dirty pot) just enough that when coupled with the highest rates; produced the same effect. So possibly when you reduced the rate the system no longer saw a deflection of said stick.

Flush, was it the same kind of beeping you get when everything is booted up but before motor start, deflect the right stick and; rapid beeps - until the stick is centered. If so, it could be that one of your stick is off (dirty pot) just enough that when coupled with the highest rates; produced the same effect. So possibly when you reduced the rate the system no longer saw a deflection of said stick.
Good point. As stated above, I did a rough check in the field this morning that didn't reveal anything untoward. I'm gonna check more closely tomorrow morning.

I was about to add that a mix with either pitch or roll could produce this. Then Ty Pilot chimed in and I think it may be the best explanation of this anomaly. My right stick is prone to oxidation especially in the roll direction and gets the small offset Ty was referring to after sitting for a few weeks.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I checked hardware monitor in the field this morning while I was investigating the issue but didn't see anything untoward.

Please note Hardware Monitor does NOT reveal mixed channels. It only shows the raw output of each channel individually.
You can only see mixed channels in Channel Settings, in the "quick check" display activated by double clicking the flight battery icon, or (sometimes unfortunately) in actual flight.

Note that on the "quick check", there is no scale for the slider. "CH03" is J3. If you move the slider and "CH03" moves, you have a mixed channel.

Yes. prolly time. I'll try and find my tin later on:)
This doesn't seem to occur much in UK, perhaps the atmospheric conditions for oxidation aren't as prevalent here like drier areas like US which seem to report this problem quite often. If that is the problem.

I recently have been getting rapid beeping, I suspected oxidation in the sticks since I haven't been flying much myself, weeks and sometimes months before my next flight. Once I cleaned up it's ok. BTW, it must be the smoke causing the beeping, you know like coughing. ??

Please note Hardware Monitor does NOT reveal mixed channels. It only shows the raw output of each channel individually.
You can only see mixed channels in Channel Settings, in the "quick check" display activated by double clicking the flight battery icon, or (sometimes unfortunately) in actual flight.

Note that on the "quick check", there is no scale for the slider. "CH03" is J3. If you move the slider and "CH03" moves, you have a mixed channel.
Noted.
Not gonna fool around with it now. Better to wait until the morning when I'm fresh.

I recently have been getting rapid beeping, I suspected oxidation in the sticks since I haven't been flying much myself, weeks and sometimes months before my next flight. Once I cleaned up it's ok. BTW, it must be the smoke causing the beeping, you know like coughing. ??
Nah, can't be that. It started after I powered down the motors at the end of the second battery so was before I sparked up my cigarette and coughed my guts up ?.

This doesn't seem to occur much in UK, perhaps the atmospheric conditions for oxidation aren't as prevalent here like drier areas like US which seem to report this problem quite often. If that is the problem.
I agree. I've never had this problem before and that is with a system obtained at the start of June 2016. As you know, here in the North of England the atmosphere is generally a bit damper than that in the South and certainly damper than parts of the U.S. of A.

Anyway, Investigations in the morning will reveal all.

I was about to add that a mix with either pitch or roll could produce this. Then Ty Pilot chimed in and I think it may be the best explanation of this anomaly. My right stick is prone to oxidation especially in the roll direction and gets the small offset Ty was referring to after sitting for a few weeks.
Normally before the first flight of the day I give the sticks a bloody good stir before powering everything up but this morning, for whatever reason, I forgot. I agree with @Ty Pilot : possibly a very small offset coupled with the rate at the highest level caused the alarm. If I'd have stirred my sticks as I usually do at the start of the day I prolly wouldn't have had the aircraft beeping.

If I'd have stirred my sticks as I usually do at the start of the day I prolly wouldn't have had the aircraft beeping.
I agree. The sticks must be at exactly zero (electrically) or you will get the beeping.
I understand there is a better fix by soldering the contacts on the two connectors on the sticks. I have not needed to do so at this point.

I agree. The sticks must be at exactly zero (electrically) or you will get the beeping.
I understand there is a better fix by soldering the contacts on the two connectors on the sticks. I have not needed to do so at this point.
Plan on doing that when I get settled in FL, as you and others have stated that tends to alleviate the oxidation troubles.

A funny thing.
Did you get to try that Power 4 battery from Jessops?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval