Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A German needs help with South African rules

Reaction score
Hi guy`s,
A warm welcome from my side. I hope I´m right here and somebody can give me some help, recommendations or explanations.

I’m Danny from Germany. I do have a Typhoon H from Yuneec. In the past I made some Commercial videos and photos for the Company where I´m working 38 h a week. In my main job I’m employee there. The company produces outdoor equipment which we export worldwide.

I want to make pictures and videos of these parts. The installation area is out of the 10 km radius of both airports in Johannesburg.
I was in contact with a person from www.caa.co.za. I wrote him, I´m German and a want to make pictures with my Typhoon H. He answered, it is not possible because I´m a foreigner and the rules in South Africa says

…… the South African Civil Aviation Regulations(CARs) do not make any provisions for foreign operators at this stage.

Some days later I found out there is a difference between toy and drones. I wrote him again and the answered me my Typhoon H is a drone.

“toy aircraft” means a product falling under the definition of aircraft which is designed or intended for use in play by children.
Your RPA Typhoon H is infact a drone as advertized by the manufacturer. No foreign drones allowed in South Africa yet, whether toy or not!

I wrote him again that the actual laws are very unfavorable. Foreigners are disadvantaged against residence people. I also wrote to find a way to get an exception approval/ special permit for me for making this photos and videos by myself. In the email I explained the situation for making videos and photos of my company’s equipment.

His last answer was, it sounds now like a commercial cooperation. Your company has to comply with the local laws including the Civil Aviation Regulation. The only way to do this legally is to employ an appropriately rated SACAA approved ROC holder. There is no provision for exemption in such a case.

The last sentence sounds like, there are under other declarations an option or exception possible?!
Hope you know what I mean.

For me it`s quite difficult do find or to understand 100% your local rules. That’s why I’m writing here in the hope someone of you can give me some hints, explanations how a have to define my task.

Thanks for your kind help.

Hi guy`s,
A warm welcome from my side. I hope I´m right here and somebody can give me some help, recommendations or explanations.

I’m Danny from Germany. I do have a Typhoon H from Yuneec. In the past I made some Commercial videos and photos for the Company where I´m working 38 h a week. In my main job I’m employee there. The company produces outdoor equipment which we export worldwide.

I want to make pictures and videos of these parts. The installation area is out of the 10 km radius of both airports in Johannesburg.
I was in contact with a person from www.caa.co.za. I wrote him, I´m German and a want to make pictures with my Typhoon H. He answered, it is not possible because I´m a foreigner and the rules in South Africa says

…… the South African Civil Aviation Regulations(CARs) do not make any provisions for foreign operators at this stage.

Some days later I found out there is a difference between toy and drones. I wrote him again and the answered me my Typhoon H is a drone.

“toy aircraft” means a product falling under the definition of aircraft which is designed or intended for use in play by children.
Your RPA Typhoon H is infact a drone as advertized by the manufacturer. No foreign drones allowed in South Africa yet, whether toy or not!

I wrote him again that the actual laws are very unfavorable. Foreigners are disadvantaged against residence people. I also wrote to find a way to get an exception approval/ special permit for me for making this photos and videos by myself. In the email I explained the situation for making videos and photos of my company’s equipment.

His last answer was, it sounds now like a commercial cooperation. Your company has to comply with the local laws including the Civil Aviation Regulation. The only way to do this legally is to employ an appropriately rated SACAA approved ROC holder. There is no provision for exemption in such a case.

The last sentence sounds like, there are under other declarations an option or exception possible?!
Hope you know what I mean.

For me it`s quite difficult do find or to understand 100% your local rules. That’s why I’m writing here in the hope someone of you can give me some hints, explanations how a have to define my task.

Thanks for your kind help.
As I am in Canada, I am not sure of their rules in South Africa. I do know of a work-around that works here. Yes, you still need to have someone from the existing country to run the flight controls that is qualified, but the camera can be run by someone else as it does not control the H itself.

For you this would mean finding a second ST16 and a pilot to fly it. Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but it could work for you.

If you can connect with someone at the old Steadidrone company I’m sure they can fill you in with whatever you need to know. The company name has changed but you can Google for that. Steadidrone was a South African drone company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my