Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A new experience with the typhoon H 480

Reaction score
I had my typhoon h on the rooftop of my truck. I noticed it had a lot of trouble acquiring satellites. So I put it in the bed of my truck which has a large rubber mat. it's finally acquired satellites and I was able to launch it. I took it for a 5 minute flight and brought it back and hand caught it. Put a fresh battery in.
I went to launch it again from the bed of the truck, once again it did not seem to want to acquire satellites so I put it on the ground. I was thin able to acquire satellites and go on a flight.

Do you think the truck or the metal in or around the truck would affect the satellites, not being acquired easily ?

I would not launch within 20 feet of a vehicle, much less right off of one... you have been on this board long enough to have seen some discussions regarding issues with large metal objects... rail tracks and bridges causing both compass and GPS issues. As a person with a history of the both the event and aftermath of a flyaway, I would say more caution on your part is warranted, IMHO.

I would not launch within 20 feet of a vehicle, much less right off of one... you have been on this board long enough to have seen some discussions regarding issues with large metal objects... rail tracks and bridges causing both compass and GPS issues. As a person with a history of the both the event and aftermath of a flyaway, I would say more caution on your part is warranted, IMHO.

cool Eagle Eye now I know for sure.
I learn new stuff everyday because of people like you and Steve Carr. and many many others.

I'm glad you took my post in the spirit it was intended to be... there is a quote that says experience is recognizing a mistake when you do it again... one of the greatest values of this board, is that we are afforded the opportunity to gain collective experience from our shared mistakes... your technological distinctiveness will be merged with our own... Long Live The Borg... errr the H! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm glad you took my post in the spirit it was intended to be... there is a quote that says experience is recognizing a mistake when you do it again... one of the greatest values of this board, is that we are afforded the opportunity to gain collective experience from our shared mistakes... your technological distinctiveness will be merged with our own... Long Live The Borg... errr the H! :rolleyes:

Borg
does that mean cyborg or what ?LOL
I am off to bed take care.

I had my typhoon h on the rooftop of my truck. I noticed it had a lot of trouble acquiring satellites. So I put it in the bed of my truck which has a large rubber mat. it's finally acquired satellites and I was able to launch it. I took it for a 5 minute flight and brought it back and hand caught it. Put a fresh battery in.
I went to launch it again from the bed of the truck, once again it did not seem to want to acquire satellites so I put it on the ground. I was thin able to acquire satellites and go on a flight.

Do you think the truck or the metal in or around the truck would affect the satellites, not being acquired easily ?

This subject has been covered many times before. Don’t launch off the metal body of a car. At minimum it affects the compass, and can, as you personally experienced, impact GPS acquisition.

Use your head’s folks. A compass is a device that functions through magnetism. Put it on a ferrous surface and the magnetic field is distorted, usually reducing the accuracy of the compass. In all areas where compass accuracy is important great care is usually taken to keep the compass away from metal objects. If you don’t want a fly away do not launch off the body of a car.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
This subject has been covered many times before. Don’t launch off the metal body of a car. At minimum it affects the compass, and can, as you personally experienced, impact GPS acquisition.

Use your head’s folks. A compass is a device that functions through magnetism. Put it on a ferrous surface and the magnetic field is distorted, usually reducing the accuracy of the compass. In all areas where compass accuracy is important great care is usually taken to keep the compass away from metal objects. If you don’t want a fly away do not launch off the body of a car.

Thanks again for the heads up.
I am always learning.
Keith Kuhn

I was getting compass warnings with my H and of course thought the worse. I finally figured out that when I powered the system up, having the controller close to the drone and it being on my car I would almost always get the compass warning. Of course I stopped doing it and never got anymore warnings.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I was getting compass warnings with my H and of course thought the worse. I finally figured out that when I powered the system up, having the controller close to the drone and it being on my car I would almost always get the compass warning. Of course I stopped doing it and never got anymore warnings.
yes that is exactly what happened to me the other day. Compass warning and I said what the heck so I've been recalibrated. Of course as you know I could not help. Yep.
moved away from the vehicle and everything was fine. Like I said I am continually learning.
Keith Kuhn

So should I remove my braces before flight?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me