Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A situation developed after repairs were rendered on a Tyhoon H, by me.

Reaction score
Replaced one GPS along with antenna receiving unit. Ran test on the GUI all passed to include prop test. Prop test was individual as well as combined. Overall GUI testing was performed 3 times with the same results, all units tested, passed. The problem: a blinking purple light 3 blinks 1 second off. Indicates No GPS in Angle mode. Turned off GPS in Angle/ Smart mode to start props. What happened... no prop startup with 3 significant beeps which followed after the red button was still depressed. Sounded like powering down; However, the unit remained on. While the calibration settings were still visible on the screen while depressing the start button the word calibration went to dark (unable to select it as a computer does when you can't access something.) I recalibrated ST16, re-binded H, and camera. Used a copy of the original Typhoon H located within the ST16 located in the model select section as suggested. As far as all systems concerned when looking at the ST16 what i see: Amendment about the st16 Ok I see that my fault should have waited a bit in the gps on st16 ...17 is the number on the pos... 8 was the number ST16.jpg

Last edited:
Have you done the Compass calibration after replacing the GPS module?

The compass is part of that module and without calibration data that matches the new unit, it may inhibit arming the motors. With GPS disabled the compass is still used.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
If the replaced GPS module was not powered on for a long time there are two points that should be in mind:
- there is a small backup battery on the GPS module that may be discharged. It may take a long time until it is charged again.
- the GPS module needs to download the almanch with sat data. Almanach will be sent all ~12 minutes. So, it may take 15min until a GPS fix is get; a long time is remains in state 'Acquiring'.

If arming is not possible when GPS is switched off and it plays the sad melody then anothe HW error may be there. Strange thet all sensors are OK in the GUI. I would expect to see something there, especially with the compass. But if not, hmmm... Do you have yellow lights at the status LED on the back of the drone?
Have you done a motor assignment in GUI already? It is worth to try and easy to be done.

br HE

Perhaps of interest: when the GPS is replaced with a new unit in full scale aircraft it can require up to 45 minutes for the new system to update.

Reason for mention is to alleviate possible concerns about what might be thought a long (15 minutes) update time with an H system.

Replaced one GPS along with antenna receiving unit. Ran test on the GUI all passed to include prop test. Prop test was individual as well as combined. Overall GUI testing was performed 3 times with the same results, all units tested, passed. The problem: a blinking purple light 3 blinks 1 second off. Indicates No GPS in Angle mode. Turned off GPS in Angle/ Smart mode to start props. What happened... no prop startup with 3 significant beeps which followed after the red button was still depressed. Sounded like powering down; However, the unit remained on. While the calibration settings were still visible on the screen while depressing the start button the word calibration went to dark (unable to select it as a computer does when you can't access something.) I recalibrated ST16, re-binded H, and camera. Used a copy of the original Typhoon H located within the ST16 located in the model select section as suggested. As far as all systems concerned when looking at the ST16 what i see: Amendment about the st16 Ok I see that my fault should have waited a bit in the gps on st16 ...17 is the number on the pos... 8 was the number View attachment 19816
I just did a GPS module replacement, what all do I have to do other than, binding and calibrating. I dont know anything about testing the GUI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Pretty much nothing. But be aware the new GPS will not work instantly. You need to take it OUTSIDE to an open area with a clear view of the sky. Turn it on, and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. It has to download the GPS almanac from the satellites before it will work, and the almanac is only transmitted (I believe) about every 12 minutes.
In some rare instances, the small GPS storage battery may be dead. It charges VERY slowly. You may have to leave it powered up for many hours to achieve enough capacity to retain the almanac between flights. Until you do so, it will require the 15-20 minutes at EACH startup. That can get pretty frustrating.

Reactions: Mike Irish
For Typhoon H exists two different compass chips. Older GPS boards have HMC5883, newer boards have IST8310 applied as compass chip.
Those chips have different orientation. So, a compass calibration is absolutely neccessary after changing GPS boards.

One hint: Before you close the body of the drone with that many screws check if GPS and Compass sensors goes green in GUI. This may avoid to open it again.

br HE

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrgs1
Pretty much nothing. But be aware the new GPS will not work instantly. You need to take it OUTSIDE to an open area with a clear view of the sky. Turn it on, and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. It has to download the GPS almanac from the satellites before it will work, and the almanac is only transmitted (I believe) about every 12 minutes.
In some rare instances, the small GPS storage battery may be dead. It charges VERY slowly. You may have to leave it powered up for many hours to achieve enough capacity to retain the almanac between flights. Until you do so, it will require the 15-20 minutes at EACH startup. That can get pretty frustrating.
Thank you for your quick reply and I did download the GUI and use it. The compass and GPS show with a green check mark.
I tested the new GPS battery before installation and it read 2.18 volts, my old one was 1.48 volts. I went out yesterday and sat for 35 minutes and ddint get a GPS lock. I calibrate the compass twice. After 35 minutes I tried turning the H off then on and I would get a quick GPS lock then loose it. This happened even before the ST16 fully connected to it. I'm at a loss. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick

For Typhoon H exists two different compass chips. Older GPS boards have HMC5883, newer boards have IST8310 applied as compass chip.
Those chips have different orientation. So, a compass calibration is absolutely neccessary after changing GPS boards.

One hint: Before you close the body of the drone with that many screws check if GPS and Compass sensors goes green in GUI. This may avoid to open it again.

br HE
Thanks. I am so mad that I didn't take a picture of the GPS unit screwed into the H top cover before I put the cover back on. It seemed just like the original so I didn't do it. Now I'm worried that the orientation may be wrong, arrow on board pointing AFT. The wires are coming out from under the copper tape facing FWD so I find it hard to believe that it could be in backwards. Any insight? Thanks
Rick

I just did a GPS module replacement, what all do I have to do other than, binding and calibrating. I dont know anything about testing the GUI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
It appears the issue is more involved that it first appeared. Please help us get on the right path:
1.) Please confirm you are working with a Typhoon H 480 (Typhoon H, Typhoon H Pro).
2.) What was the original issue that required replacing the GPS?
3.) Please upload a screenshot of the GUI "GPS Information" page.
4.) Point the drone North, level, and upload a screenshot of the GUI "Sensor Information" page.

GPS information page.JPG Sensor Information page.JPG

Now I'm worried that the orientation may be wrong, arrow on board pointing AFT. The wires are coming out from under the copper tape facing FWD so I find it hard to believe that it could be in backwards. Any insight?
Yes, the arrow should point towards the rear. It's the statement of the wires coming out facing "FWD" that seems to add some question. Is yours mounted as shown in this picture? (Picture courtesy of @Steve Carr)

GPS orientation.JPG

Yes, the arrow should point towards the rear. It's the statement of the wires coming out facing "FWD" that seems to add some question. Is yours mounted as shown in this picture? (Picture courtesy of @Steve Carr)

View attachment 20806
yes, mine is mounted like in the picture. So sorry, I wasn't at the drone and I forgot which way is FWD. My wires are pointing AFT.
I will send a picture of the GUI when I get a chance. Its raining cats and dogs here so I cant go out to get any satellite fixes. I may try to from inside my garage, but I'm also in a wooded area.
Its a Typhoon H. Does H480 means the same thing as an H?
I was having very long wait times for GPS lock. I read about the onboard battery so I took it apart and measured the voltage and it was 1.48 without power to it. I realize that with a flight battery it charges it, but I also read that 1.4V may be too low and could mean I needed a new battery. That's why
I bought and installed a GPS unit from Vertigo Drones. Thanks for your help. I try and get you screen shots as soon as I can.

Reactions: WTFDproject
480 simply refers to the distance in Millimeters from one motor to its opposite. Many confuse Typhoon H 'Pro' with Typhoon H 'Plus' which has larger diameter at 520 mm. For this reason the term '480' is a means to further identify correctly the model of Typhoon H as the Plus and the 480 are very different aircraft with little in common except the general looks.

Reactions: WTFDproject
480 simply refers to the distance in Millimeters from one motor to its opposite. Many confuse Typhoon H 'Pro' with Typhoon H 'Plus' which has larger diameter at 520 mm. For this reason the term '480' is a means to further identify correctly the model of Typhoon H as the Plus and the 480 are very different aircraft with little in common except the general looks.
It appears the issue is more involved that it first appeared. Please help up get on the right path:
1.) Please confirm you are working with a Typhoon H 480 (Typhoon H, Typhoon H Pro).
4.) Point the drone North, level, and upload a screenshot of the GUI "Sensor Information" page.

View attachment 20805 View attachment 20804
I measured my motor distance so with this great knowledge I can say that I have a Typhoon H (480), 480mm between the motors. Attached are my GUI screen shots.

Attachments

• SENSOR INFORMATION.png
    SENSOR INFORMATION.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 18
  • SETTINGS.png
    SETTINGS.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 19
  • GPS INFORMATION.png
    GPS INFORMATION.png
    99 KB · Views: 21
  • DEVICE INFORMATION.png
    DEVICE INFORMATION.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 20
It appears the issue is more involved that it first appeared. Please help up get on the right path:

View attachment 20805 View attachment 20804
Sorry, I posted my GUI screen shots below at Ty Pilots Post.

The only problem I see is that I don't see any problems. Your readings are better than mine, and mine works great.

Do you have the ST16 on and bound to the Typhoon H while waiting for it to acquire GPS?

Perhaps @h-elsner, @DoomMeister or someone can offer more possibilities. On the surface it sounds like you have good inputs to the calculation, perhaps even a good result from the calculation, but you are not getting a lock.
@ Steve Carr has seen a lot of FC failures. Maybe this is something he can recognize?

The only problem I see is that I don't see any problems. Your readings are better than mine, and mine works great.

Do you have the ST16 on and bound to the Typhoon H while waiting for it to acquire GPS?

Perhaps @h-elsner, @DoomMeister or someone can offer more possibilities. On the surface it sounds like you have good inputs to the calculation, perhaps even a good result from the calculation, but you are not getting a lock.
@ Steve Carr has seen a lot of FC failures. Maybe this is something he can recognize?
The ST16 was bound to the Typhoon H while I was waiting for a GPS lock. What is weird is after 30-35 minutes I restarted the Typhoon and it would give the tones and the solid purple LED for a few second while the ST16 was trying to connect after the restart. Thanks for taking the time and helping.

Couple more things that might provide a clue:
1.) Did anything change between the last time the GPS acquired quickly, and the first time you had to wait.
2.) Have you tried, (or can you try) a different controller?
3.) Can you upload the flightlogs from the ST16 for review?
4.) Can you upload a screenshot of the ST16 after it has been "acquiring" for a few minutes?

Did you tested with or without camera? I would like to see if behaviour changed if cam was removed. Just a try into the blue.
Was to drone pointed to north when you took screenshot? Yaw is different.
GPS signal strength is very good. Looks perfect as WTFDproject already said.
The only problem I see is that I don't see any problems.
... that's the point.
GPS module changed but the problem persists when I understand right. So, the probability that the root cause was the GPS module is very low.
I would focus now on the mainboard. Never tried, but is ist possible to flash the same drone firmware again? I would try this.

br HE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emilyrose