Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

AAArrggghh my first crash

Reaction score
SO whilst filming, I brushed a little too close to some shrubs and WHAM! crash bang and down to the ground.

Damage was snapped landing gear and broken prop.

SO far everything seems ok. Just waiting for new landing gear to arrive.....

I think most of us have run into something at one point or another. I have a stage light and a tree to my credit.

Sometimes I'm amazed at the things I see when reviewing my raw video. Dead branches, overhead wires, fence wire. I've managed to miss all but one. (When climbing the camera can't look up.)

Sorry the hear about your mishap. Trees and shrubs have a hidden force that attracts drones similar to a tractor-beam. Once you get too close you cannot escape. That is my technical explanation and I stand by it.

I believe that would be the Magnus effect.

Reactions: Steve Carr
My crash is worst as I also flew into a tree (drone flying it self up into a tree in home mode) breaking the camera and cracking a prop. Till to this day, I am still trying to get another camera...

My crash is worst as I also flew into a tree (drone flying it self up into a tree in home mode) breaking the camera and cracking a prop. Till to this day, I am still trying to get another camera...
I believe @Haydn has parts for Yuneec in Australia.

I think I have really bad luck if that's all you folks have run into. I have a plethora of crashes to my credit, one wall, stairwell and marketing manager (all at the same time), 3 bushes, one 75 foot to zero (testing failure, drones don't fly past zero % battery), one user error with checking the battery seat, and a drone on drone violence (two for one). The fun part is rebuilding all of the equipment. Good luck with your repairs!

Dang......you had to mention those. My mind filters those mishaps as anomalies, not crashes. Well ok, one 180' fall from a glitch in the ST16, one 257' fall from not locking the battery. I'm done. Can't take this. TOOOO much stress. Nothing to see here. Move along........

On maybe my third flight, I felt competent enough to try to maneuver through some hanging Spanish Moss for an eerie video scene. It didn't work out for me. On the good side, it tangled in the moss and didn't fall.

3 crashes for me. Two user error and one not.

First one was a P2V, my first UAV and I was very new to it. For the flight I was using prop guards. I took off but hadn't checked the switches on the RC and didn't notice it was in manual mode. It took off and flew straight into me and broke one of the prop guards but no other damage. Now was the BIG mistake. I took off again with that broken prop guard still attached, and it flew beautifully for two or three minutes...then plummeted to the earth from over 100' up. That broken prop guard had fouled the prop. It landed in snow so it wasn't too bad...just a detached camera and a couple of broken props.

Next it was that same P2V. I was doing a photo survey for a conservation group (P2Vs are rubbish at video but great for stills). I was flying an autonomous grid mission and I was calmly watching the aircraft do it's thing going backwards and forwards following the programmed grid...until it disappeard over the brow of the hill. I waited a few seconds for it to re-appear but when it didn't I thought it had flown away. So I went up that hill and found it at the foot of a small tree. This time it was extensively damaged to the point that I thought it was a write-off (Though I did later manage to repair it myself). My fault because I hadn't set the waypoint height high enough for that portion of the mission and I let it go out of VLOS...a mistake that I will never let happen again.

Third time was a P2V+ which, I believe, wasn't my fault. I was doing a survey of some ground-works and It flew off at a great rate of speed while it was about 25' in the air and straight into a tree.

The brushes are the worst, because the whole time you're like, "F, just another 3 inches would have cleared it..."

I have learned to keep a couple of gimbal mounts and landing gear on hand, in addition to spare props. That way I'm still flying and only waiting the spare replacements. Also gives me the time in advance to paint my landing gear to keep my maximizing VLOS strategy in place.

Last edited:
SO whilst filming, I brushed a little too close to some shrubs and WHAM! crash bang and down to the ground.

Damage was snapped landing gear and broken prop.

SO far everything seems ok. Just waiting for new landing gear to arrive.....
As you can see from the responses here, it probably won't be your last.
Two crashes for me in 18 months. Both my error.
First, watching TH fly between some trees. If I had glanced at the screen, I would have noticed that it was flying right into one of the trees. It's hard to judge relative distances by eye.
Second, taking off from an iron train bridge. VERY BAD idea. Almost lost the TH in the river. Managed to crash land back on the bridge.
Fortunately, parts are readily available and it's pretty easy to repair.

As you can see from the responses here, it probably won't be your last.
Two crashes for me in 18 months. Both my error.
First, watching TH fly between some trees. If I had glanced at the screen, I would have noticed that it was flying right into one of the trees. It's hard to judge relative distances by eye.
Second, taking off from an iron train bridge. VERY BAD idea. Almost lost the TH in the river. Managed to crash land back on the bridge.
Fortunately, parts are readily available and it's pretty easy to repair.

Reading all of these make my heart start beating fast, I gambled all my chips on a H with no accessory kit instead of a Q500 with all of the bells and whistles. I'm saving up for the emergency crash kit asap

One of my first drones crashed as follows....I was showing what it could do to a group of people and it was about 500 feet away so I'm bringing it back full bore at about 10 feet in the air. on it's own it drops down to about 3 feet and flies through a post and rail fence flawlessly...gets about 20 feet away, flips over and lands up side down breaking all four props. I did nothing to get it through the fence....and for a minute, I looked like a hero...but that didn't last long. Several days after I fixed it, it crashed full bore into my camper...didn't survive that. It went back for repair and I was sent a new one...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me