Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

About to be a yuneecer ( not even know it makes any sense)

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm Max and i'm about to buy a H520 with the E90 Camera

Can anyone give me any advice about the drone .... i'm mean like be careful
about that , or don't update to the latest firmware because .... and so on...

I'm going to take my permit in about a month and looking on the internet i 've just felt in love with this machine .
it's gonna be my first and only drone, at the moment, ( i'm planning to buy a scraped drone to practice , so if i crash it i'll not kill myself).

People trying to convice me to buy a dji mavic 2 pro but i kinda hate dji .. not sure why but i do .
The Yuneec, plus some accessories ( i'm going to buy the bumper cage too) is going to cost way more the dji but i cannot see myself doing inspections with a banana sized drone .....

About the E90 ... i'm trying to figure out whats the best micro sd card i can use . I did not find anything about it on the official web pages, like what the max (storage space) card i can use, what format sys i should use. Should i use at least a 100Mbit write velocity speed card like the ADATA UHS-II Class 10 (U3) V90 ?

Can someone list the major problems this drone have ( if any) ? ..just in case so I don't freak out if something goes wrong ... :)
I know i'm asking a lot, so thank you for all your advice .... come to Italy and i'll buy you a coffe . ;)

Thanks a lot ...
Have a nice day
Max

Just out of curiosity, have you flown a drone before?

Reactions: JackMTaco
Just out of curiosity, have you flown a drone before?
Yes but just in drone school. it was about a 4 Kg drone
30 missions ( we call it like that ) 10 minutes each and i need 70 more missions to end the school.

Why H520? What do you feel it will do for you that a H plus won't do? For me the plus would be a more cost effective package for video and stills.

Why H520? What do you feel it will do for you that a H plus won't do? For me the plus would be a more cost effective package for video and stills.
I'll need it for work and i think this is the best compromise .

The H plus is really nice and with the C23 camera or even the Leica one , would ,at least at the beginning, be enought . (saving big bucks too)

Swapping cameras indeed , is why i'm chosing the H520 .

Reactions: Steve Carr
I'll need it for work and i think this is the best compromise .

The H plus is really nice and with the C23 camera or even the Leica one , would ,at least at the beginning, be enought . (saving big bucks too)

Swapping cameras indeed , is why i'm chosing the H520 .
Remember there's no guarantee the Leica camera will be available for the 520. From what pilots have said the E90 E50 are lagging behind in quality compared to other Manufacturers.

Remember there's no guarantee the Leica camera will be available for the 520. From what pilots have said the E90 E50 are lagging behind in quality compared to other Manufacturers.
I have read something about it ( not in details) and it kinda frustrate me also because it is a 1200€ camera ( not cheap at all) and it has a rolling shutter.
Anyways i'm not looking for a cinematic drone and i think the 1" cmos sensor will work fine.

...is it a really so bad camera ?

Last edited:
Yes but just in drone school. it was about a 4 Kg drone
30 missions ( we call it like that ) 10 minutes each and i need 70 more missions to end the school.
That's good you have some "stick time". There are way too many people that get the biggest/baddest drone only to crash it because they don't have a clue. Good on you.

Reactions: Steve Carr
That's good you have some "stick time". There are way too many people that get the biggest/baddest drone only to crash it because they don't have a clue. Good on you.
Absolutely.
Thats why i'm buying an hand made drone too so i can improve my flying skill and hopefully crash the poor one , not the H520 ... ( hope not either one ;) )

It appears you have done your homework well. I think the E90 is a very good camera and I've seen some excellent photos produced from it.
The learning curve for DataPilot and Q Ground Control is a bit steep. I presume you have already been searching Youtube for videos on those products.

There are just two very important precautions I would emphasis. Allow sufficient time on the first flight every day for the GPS to update and acquire satellites. Subsequent flights will be much faster to launch.

The second.......the battery lock. It must be pushed in firmly with a bit of force to make certain the lock engages. If you lift the lever you will need to remove the battery and reinstall it. Generally you will hear two clicks. The second click it the lock engaging. The battery will be flush with the aircraft shell when it's fully inserted.

Those two items account for at least 80% of the problems that pilots encounter. Never rush a preflight inspection and don't allow yourself to be distracted. If it happens, just start from scratch. You can't "undo" something in flight that was skipped before the flight.

Regarding the sd card, I have had good experience with these and they are not expensive. I don't know if they are available in Italy, however.

It appears you have done your homework well. I think the E90 is a very good camera and I've seen some excellent photos produced from it.
The learning curve for DataPilot and Q Ground Control is a bit steep. I presume you have already been searching Youtube for videos on those products.
I did have a look but only at the DataPilot Software that i've already installed in my pc but not spent much time on Q Ground control.

There are just two very important precautions I would emphasis. Allow sufficient time on the first flight every day for the GPS to update and acquire satellites. Subsequent flights will be much faster to launch.
The second.......the battery lock. It must be pushed in firmly with a bit of force to make certain the lock engages. If you lift the lever you will need to remove the battery and reinstall it. Generally you will hear two clicks. The second click it the lock engaging. The battery will be flush with the aircraft shell when it's fully inserted.
Those two items account for at least 80% of the problems that pilots encounter. Never rush a preflight inspection and don't allow yourself to be distracted. If it happens, just start from scratch. You can't "undo" something in flight that was skipped before the flight.

Thanks for the advices. I have read something about the battery lock mechanism and dream about the drone falling from the sky because the battery just popped out the drone..... so i'll pay specific attention to that, thanks.

Never rush a preflight inspection and don't allow yourself to be distracted. If it happens, just start from scratch. You can't "undo" something in flight that was skipped before the flight.
It sounds like my flight instructor :) you both are right ... I take it seriusly , the drone its not a toy .
Regarding the sd card, I have had good experience with these and they are not expensive. I don't know if they are available in Italy, however.

Did you have any issue recording at 4K 60 fps with that card

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
@Max_IT
I'm not sure if this is the latest Owners guide for the H 520, if you already don't have one.

Attachments

• Yuneec_H520_Manual_v1.6_EN.pdf
    37.4 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: DoomMeister

Yes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191107-123938.png
    Screenshot_20191107-123938.png
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 18977 it says 98 MB reading speed and 40MB writing speed. Isn't that too low for a 100MB video stream from the E90 at 4k 60fps..?... Just wondering

From the E90 spec sheet: “SD CARD Class 10 u3 min. 90 Mbit/s”

So the 40 MB/s should be just fine. Remember, 1 Byte = 8 bits, or 1 MB (MegaByte) = 8 mb (megabits).

As long as the convention is used properly (MB vs Mb) in advertising and spec sheets, we should be fine.

Jeff

When you talk about cinematic drone, I hope you're just talking about taking pictures, if you want to take a minimum quality video forget about the H520. A drunk potato is capable of doing better. If you want to do photogrammetry, 3D surveys then it's a good machine.

If you are going to use it for inspections, taking pictures and taking decent videos then your choice is the H PLUS.

When you talk about cinematic drone, I hope you're just talking about taking pictures, if you want to take a minimum quality video forget about the H520. A drunk potato is capable of doing better. If you want to do photogrammetry, 3D surveys then it's a good machine.

If you are going to use it for inspections, taking pictures and taking decent videos then your choice is the H PLUS.

i'm not looking for a cinematic drone , not at all .
I'll need it to do photogrammetry, surveys and also inspections ....
just a question .... isnt the c23 camera mounted on the H plus just a E90 clone ... or vice versa .?

Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval