Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Advice on Selling Used Drones

TTU

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have my Typhoon H listed in the classifieds on this forum. Unfortunately I haven’t had much luck with the sell. My assumption is that people likely are looking elsewhere and for a great price. I feel that the drone is reasonably priced. With that being said, where else can I possibly post it for sell? Are there other websites with maybe more viewers etc? Was thinking about listing on eBay.

Regards

Reactions: biltno
List as many places you can.
What we want and what the market will pay is the challenge.
Also, how badly do you need to sell it, are you willing to stick out for months?

Unfortunately a used drone is felt by many to be a crap shoot, due to all that is known that can happen. I would try to clear up as much of the unknowns in the listing. For example; how many flights are on it? How many on the batteries? If the Batteries have not been maintained properly, they're about as worthless as a half eaten cheese burger. Any Crashes - if not say so. If it has a record of several hundred worry free flights - say so. If it has crashed and been repaired - say so and show that it has worked perfectly ever since. Also condition, if it is in good or great condition that may help.

And beyond that there is the reality of what someone will pay for the possible unknowns. For instance I can get a brand new Typhoon H - with warranty and a fresh battery for the aircraft and for the controller for 700 Dollars, add in a good aftermarket battery for 60.00 bucks and I am off and flying. What would a fair price be for a used one where you may or may not need to buy two new batteries? I am faced with this right now as my Typhoon H is been placed into back up position behind my H Plus and if I want to sell it, I would think 400.00 might be the price but then again maybe not. In the end as a backup I can't replace it for that so I will sit on it for now.

In the end - a little more than half of a new base model will be about right. I have a Phantom that I sunk a lot of cash into years ago. When I went to sell it, that number was always in my head so I think I was asking too much. Still have that drone. ;)

Reactions: AeriaL
List as many places you can.
What we want and what the market will pay is the challenge.
Also, how badly do you need to sell it, are you willing to stick out for months?
It’s not a money crunch scenario. I just don’t really use the H that much. I find myself keeping the H/batteries in storage mode most of the time. I agree with you on the the market value issue.

TyPilot pretty much nailed it. I tossed one of mine out there at $475.00 and haven’t had a nibble, although I didn’t mention having complete flight logs, maintenance and battery histories. It’s unfortunate but used Yuneec products don’t have the demand another brand does. That’s silly in a way as Yuneec has better customer service and there’s less that can go wrong.

Unfortunately a used drone is felt by many to be a crap shoot, due to all that is known that can happen. I would try to clear up as much of the unknowns in the listing. For example; how many flights are on it? How many on the batteries? If the Batteries have not been maintained properly, they're about as worthless as a half eaten cheese burger. Any Crashes - if not say so. If it has a record of several hundred worry free flights - say so. If it has crashed and been repaired - say so and show that it has worked perfectly ever since. Also condition, if it is in good or great condition that may help.

And beyond that there is the reality of what someone will pay for the possible unknowns. For instance I can get a brand new Typhoon H - with warranty and a fresh battery for the aircraft and for the controller for 700 Dollars, add in a good aftermarket battery for 60.00 bucks and I am off and flying. What would a fair price be for a used one where you may or may not need to buy two new batteries? I am faced with this right now as my Typhoon H is been placed into back up position behind my H Plus and if I want to sell it, I would think 400.00 might be the price but then again maybe not. In the end as a backup I can't replace it for that so I will sit on it for now.

In the end - a little more than half of a new base model will be about right. I have a Phantom that I sunk a lot of cash into years ago. When I went to sell it, that number was always in my head so I think I was asking too much. Still have that drone. ;)
Yeah unfortunately I agree with you. It is very difficult to tell if someone is being honest or not. I paid $1,400 brand new for the H w/ Intel RealSense bundle package 2 years ago, and I have it priced at less than half that amount. I think i’ll post it on eBay and see if I have better luck; if not I’ll just keep it.

TyPilot pretty much nailed it. I tossed one of mine out there at $475.00 and haven’t had a nibble, although I didn’t mention having complete flight logs, maintenance and battery histories. It’s unfortunate but used Yuneec products don’t have the demand another brand does. That’s silly in a way as Yuneec has better customer service and there’s less that can go wrong.
Yeah you would think some people would want a great deal, but I guess they assume the drones are defective.

Hello, I currently have my Typhoon H listed in the classifieds on this forum. Unfortunately I haven’t had much luck with the sell. My assumption is that people likely are looking elsewhere and for a great price. I feel that the drone is reasonably priced. With that being said, where else can I possibly post it for sell? Are there other websites with maybe more viewers etc? Was thinking about listing on eBay.

Regards
I've had decent success selling used Drones on Craigslist and have sold 4 or 5 in the last couple of years.
I know Craigslist isnt the most chosen place to sell but I've found that Buyers will come and at least LOOK at the Drone as long as the price is reasonable enough and once they have a chance to see it hands-on, they'll buy. Also, it's nice for a Buyer to actually see it fly.
I sold a DJI Drone 2 month's ago on my local Craigslist for $1250 cash, the best part for me was not having to box and ship OR pay any PayPal fees.
My experience has been if it isn't REALLY cheap, then it wont sell on the Websites.. jmo

I've had decent success selling used Drones on Craigslist and have sold 4 or 5 in the last couple of years.
I know Craigslist isnt the most chosen place to sell but I've found that Buyers will come and at least LOOK at the Drone as long as the price is reasonable enough and once they have a chance to see it hands-on, they'll buy. Also, it's nice for a Buyer to actually see it fly.
I sold a DJI Drone 2 month's ago on my local Craigslist for $1250 cash, the best part for me was not having to box and ship OR pay any PayPal fees.
My experience has been if it isn't REALLY cheap, then it wont sell on the Websites.. jmo
Very good advice and information; I will keep that in mind. Thank you

TyPilot spot on... I agree with the sell vs hold; when value drops to a low level it becomes more of a personal value than market value decision. If it's market value is 1/3 or 1/4 the value paid ($400) and "worth" greater to retain as backup, reassigned purpose, new role... assigned as the "risk drone", or simply an object that lacks a strong desire to sell without a temping offer, I'll retain it.

On the other hand, I greatly enjoy snagging a great buy... we view a great buy because we place value compared to new. This too isn't accurate, it should be based on the average price on the used product.... LOL, sadly now it's not such a great deal or motivated to purchase if it's in line with common used value. The hard to find products is a different story & justification... that's a treasure hunt find, and if you retain long enough the object may evolve from "old used" to "hard to find" treasure.

When I have low personal value on the object, I have no problem selling, normally below the average price to accomplish the task without delay... sell and get off my inventory. Providing a great buy for the Buyer!

LOL... the "risk drone" aka sacrificial drone... is reserved for flights that may result in a non-recovery that I'd hate to see a shinny new bird fade away in a river with Fall foliage and hundreds of small limbs, defending birds, etc. Would like to fly and capture the view below the overhanging branches and might result in taggin wood and taking a swim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval