Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Afraid to fly anywhere

Reaction score
I purchased a Typhoon H and so far made 1 test flight in a large soccer park about 1/2 mile from my home in the evening with no one around. In other words, it was away from people, houses, & a short flight to learn how the thing works. Flight was successful and I was very happy with my H. Haven't flown it since then because after reading all the good information on this forum and the reports of people being nearly arrested or fined for using their flying cameras.

Frankly, I follow rules, respect the laws and believe very strongly that everyone must take responsibility for their behavior. What concerns me is that I have no idea where to fly and use the H without getting into trouble from the uninformed and reactionary behavior of others. Can't fly in my neighborhood because there are houses, can't fly at a park even when no one around, can't fly anywhere that someone might see it flying and think I am "spying on them". I live in Southern Nevada and just not sure where I can fly this $1.5K investment (birthday gift) without getting it confiscated, or fined, or arrested. Your thoughts??

Reactions: viscount
New here and just realized that this should have been posted under "General Discussion" rather than "News" (where I was reading posts). Please forgive the error...

Reactions: esa
C'mon. With 300,000 folks around there, I'll bet there are other drone pilots. Seek and you shall find.:)
If nothing else works, go out to Groom Lake:eek: and fly (that's a joke...).
:cool:

Thanks Rayray...
Guess I will wait and see if others in Southern Nevada (Henderson, Las Vegas, Boulder City) have any suggestions as to where to fly and stay out of trouble.
Really like this forum!!

I purchased a Typhoon H and so far made 1 test flight in a large soccer park about 1/2 mile from my home in the evening with no one around. In other words, it was away from people, houses, & a short flight to learn how the thing works. Flight was successful and I was very happy with my H. Haven't flown it since then because after reading all the good information on this forum and the reports of people being nearly arrested or fined for using their flying cameras.

Frankly, I follow rules, respect the laws and believe very strongly that everyone must take responsibility for their behavior. What concerns me is that I have no idea where to fly and use the H without getting into trouble from the uninformed and reactionary behavior of others. Can't fly in my neighborhood because there are houses, can't fly at a park even when no one around, can't fly anywhere that someone might see it flying and think I am "spying on them". I live in Southern Nevada and just not sure where I can fly this $1.5K investment (birthday gift) without getting it confiscated, or fined, or arrested. Your thoughts??

Anyone flying in Henderson, Las Vegas, Boulder City, NV care to comment??

Fly it at your house all you want. Stay over your own property and no one can say squat. Unless there is a stated ban at your city or county parks you can fly there and should respect the common sense guidelines (they are not laws) established by the rotor community and the FAA. Only CA has crazy camera laws that potentially prohibit filming but its a test case for someone eventually as it's ambiguously
written. Find a nice open spot out of town back in a deserted area where folks off road and have some fun. Just take your time and make sure you are comfortable with the surroundings.

Register your Drone with the FAA. Put the FAA Number on the craft and carry the little card they give you. If someone confronts you pull out the card and tell them you have an FAA License to fly.

When I first started to fly my Q I felt the same way. But after a few times out my feelings change. Find a secluded spot somewhere and go get some video. You must have some Desert Highway somewhere before you get to the corner in Winslow, AZ. That was humor.:)

Reactions: Eddie Spagetti
There is a local RC club but I don't want to fly in the same place all the time anyway. It's okay for practice though. I've added to my hobby by researching scenic new places that are drone friendly. My wife loves that.

I also live in southern Nevada. I've been taking my drone out to fly in various parks. With the exception of City of Las Vegas Parks, I haven't encountered any problems. Many of the City of Las Vegas Parks have signs up saying "No model airplane flying allowed." I haven't noticed them at any of the Clark County Parks. The biggest issue in the Las Vegas area is the four airports (McCarran, North Las Vegas, Henderson, and Nellis). You aren't supposed to fly within five miles of those airports without giving them notification. Download the Airmap app and it will show you where the five mile restricted zones are. I would avoid Sunset Park for generally recreation purposes because of its proximity to McCarran.

And, there is plenty of desert around town to fly in.

Lake Mead National Recreation Area is also restricted air space. This is from the LMNRA website: "The launching, landing or operating of an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of the park is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent. Radio-controlled model aircraft are allowed at the designated airfield on Hemenway Drive in the Boulder Beach area."

If you are going to fly in parks, most have a board near the entrance with rules. If those rules don't include bans on flying, feel free to use your drones in those locations (and assuming you are not within five miles of the airports). I started out using mine in ball fields that were surrounded by fences. This insured I was away from people and dogs. I mention dogs because I have one that goes nuts when she hears the sound a drone (or remote controlled car) makes. I almost bought a drone a couple years ago, when she took off running after one while I was trying to untangle her leash (she got tangled up in the leash of another dog). Luckily the operator got the drone high enough off the ground that she couldn't get to it. Missed by about a foot.

Also, you can fly your drone in Red Rock National Conservation Area. I was pleasantly surprised to find that out.

Reactions: Rayray
There is a local RC club but I don't want to fly in the same place all the time anyway. It's okay for practice though. I've added to my hobby by researching scenic new places that are drone friendly. My wife loves that.
Same here! I love going to different places to fly. After all it's not just about flying and running down batteries.
I have been a photographer for most of my life and I love aerial photos and footage.

We used to be in North Las Vegas when I was stationed at Nellis AFB. That was in the 60's and you probably could have flown anywhere other than the air base, Mercury or Area 51!

We lived just off North Las Vegas Blvd and about three blocks and beyond to the north, it was nothing but desert! Now there are houses nearly up to the foothills.

I would suggest going up to Mt. Charleston where you should be able to get some great pictures, but I don't know if it is a national park. If so, then you aren't supposed to fly there. There has to be lots of room for taking video & pictures. Have a ball!

Only CA has crazy camera laws that potentially prohibit filming

Florida passed laws like that as well. It's a civil matter though and the burden of proof is on the "aggrieved".

You sound like a responsible pilot - not hovering over a property or buzzing rooftops, etc - so you shouldn't have any trouble.

One other thing: People tend to fear what they don't understand. The more you can educate people that we don't have 100x zoom lenses and laser microphones, the better off we'll be. :)

Just a quick shout out to all who have responded to this thread. The information, especially from local pilots is tremendously helpful. There is a huge no-fly zone covering most of Green Valley but fortunately, where I live is about a mile outside of the no-fly zone. I feel more confident now and as soon as I can clear my busy schedule, I will get out flying & try to post some video & pictures. I have flown RC fixed wing aircraft and have been a member of the AMA since 1976 when I returned from the Army during the Vietnam Conflict. Love flying and the capabilities of multi-rotor aircraft look exciting.

Love flying and the capabilities of multi-rotor aircraft look exciting.
You will really love it if you have only flown fixed wing aircraft. With the multirotor craft if you see that you are about to have a problem you can stop, hover, then back up change course and continue flying.

Register your Drone with the FAA. Put the FAA Number on the craft and carry the little card they give you. If someone confronts you pull out the card and tell them you have an FAA License to fly.

When I first started to fly my Q I felt the same way. But after a few times out my feelings change. Find a secluded spot somewhere and go get some video. You must have some Desert Highway somewhere before you get to the corner in Winslow, AZ. That was humor.:)

Don't waste money of registering. It's not required for recreational use. And don't lie about having a "license." There is no such thing.

I have flown over my apartment complex and neighborhood, over my parents' house and neighborhood, and at several parks. Nobody has expressed any alarm or concern. In fact, the police at the park asked me to photograph a staged crime scene for their Explorers program.

The best thing to do is fly where you're seen. That way people will realize there's nothing to be concerned about.

I live in Southern Nevada and just not sure where I can fly this $1.5K investment (birthday gift) without getting it confiscated, or fined, or arrested. Your thoughts??

Hello! First let me start with replying to this comment:

Do. NOT. Do. This. You are as a private hobbiest no longer required to register with the FAA.. it was an overstep of their authority, IMHO. I did it at the time the regulations existed because it would have been a significant civil matter to not have done so and to have been caught.

I would however, recommend that you register with AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). Academy of Model Aeronautics and find a charter field in your area. I have 3 locations where I can fly in Washington.. but it took searching.. one of them was a field that is an AMA Charter Club. One is my local high school and middle school grounds (after getting permission from the District Athletic Director and showing him I had insurance in case of any mishaps along with my AMA number which also carries an insurance rider) and finally if I wanted to drive a bit is my parents property.. my dad has about 3 acres and I fly there when I can. If I read correctly you're in Clark County Nevada? I found 9 AMA Charter clubs in your area.. I'm sure they all have facilities where you can fly.

Also get the B4UFly app. If you are not sure if the area you want to fly in is regulated or not, it helps.

B4UFLY Mobile App

I was just flying my drone over my Uncle's farm in Modesto, Ca.. while there was a nearby airport I was well outside the range where it would be an issue, and that application was extremely helpful in verifying that.

Santa, with where it sounds like you live is near heritage park. Fortunately, you are outside the class B, under the class C and far enough away from Henderson and Boulder airports to not need to make any notifications. I live literally 10 minutes from heritage park so I know the airspace.

THIS IS AN OPEN INVITATION TO FOLKS IN SOUTHERN NEVADA, IF YOU WANT TO FLY LET ME KNOW AND I WILL MEET UP WITH YOU! I have nothing better to do then fly all day long (it's kind of my job), just let me know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my