Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

After the Fire

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Before anyone says anything about flying in a fire zone; The fire was out, FAA TFR's were checked, the state and local fire agencies in command were consulted to assure the TFR was lifted and that no aerial equipment was still being dispatched or operated in the area, and local law enforcement was informed of the activity prior to commencing. The fire officials told me to "Have a nice flight" and they appreciated the consultation.

Trying to upload photos. It's a shame the site limits files sizes to those much smaller than the Typhoon H captures. JPG files run 2.7 to 9mgs, DNG sizes at 4000x3000, or 12 megs, converting a DNG to JPG reduces them to 2.7 megs, hammering resolution, while shooting in DNG and converting to BMP, which has higher resolution than DNG, isn't possible because the site does not recognize the file format and the file would again be too large. How does one post photographic work at a place that does not handle common file formats and sizes? Unfortunately changing this to JPG format significantly degrades the file and enlargement goes instantly to pot. The original DNG/BMP file can be enlarged 60% and still maintain good resolution.

01991.jpg
02026.jpg
1983.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Pat, what is your work flow, or what programs are you using to convert from DNG to JPEG? My DNGs are running about 22.9 MB out of the CG03+, I convert using Adobe DNG Converter, then into Photoshop. From there I can export the full size image as a JPEG that are running 17.9 MB at the full size of 12 megapixels and the pics look great.

I'm using Photoscape. Being on a fixed income I can't afford Adobe and their /month rates...

I hear you on that. I stop upgrading after CS4 and still use it and have no plans to do a monthly fee. Interesting shots BTW, I was looking at that first one and thought it looked like a swath of charred trees until I realized that was the path of retardant they did an aerial drop on.

Thanks. There's quite a story told in the photos when the entire spread is laid out. The extent of the fire, speed of containment, the minimal loss of structure, the efforts of the fire crews to protect structures with aerial drops, the work performed by the locals to provide themselves with "defensible space" that helps slow a wild fire, and that a large portion of the heavy lifting is done by volunteer fire fighters. An awful lot when into keeping a bad situation from turning into a disaster for those that live there.

For those that wonder how high the aerial tankers are, they came into this one with the helicopters at 50-100' and the fixed wing stuff only a little higher. They absolutely cannot fly to protect people and property if there's a multirotor in the area. If you see a forest or wild fire, stay home until it's over. Even then, check with everybody before considering flight.

Pat, what is your work flow, or what programs are you using to convert from DNG to JPEG? My DNGs are running about 22.9 MB out of the CG03+, I convert using Adobe DNG Converter, then into Photoshop. From there I can export the full size image as a JPEG that are running 17.9 MB at the full size of 12 megapixels and the pics look great.

If you are after some excellent photo processing software at the right price (free), check out Raw Therapee. As excellent program to add to your toolbox for processing. rawtherapee.com/downloads

If you are after some excellent photo processing software at the right price (free), check out Raw Therapee. As excellent program to add to your toolbox for processing. rawtherapee.com/downloads
I have Raw Therapee and it loads DNG files no problem. My problem with it is that I just can't get the hang of it apart from just doing the basics to a photograph. Not the program's fault. I just can't get my head around it to make those outstanding pictures that I know it can produce.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

The MS Photoscape handles several different conversions if the codecs have been downloaded. I'm finding that processing 4000x3000 JPG files can work out extremely well if saved afterwards as a DNG/PNG. Less post work required.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech