Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

AirMap Missing H520 from Yuneec List

Reaction score
I recently attempted to make use of AirMap, an app which makes checking airspace easy and creating flight plans even easier. They provide a list of Yuneec airframes as part of the flight plan creation but have not included the H520 as of yet. I have contacted them and ask them to include it. This is a copy of their response. I suggest anyone who wishes to have the H520 added to the AirMap list, contact Marshall and ask for this upgrade to their app. Thanks, Don

Marshall (AirMap)

May 17, 09:27 PDT

Hello Don,

Thank you very much for continuing to work closely with us!

I do apologize that is has taken so long, to add this aircraft model to the list in the AirMap for Drones app. I appreciate your patience while I escalate this task with our engineers, I will be happy to provide an update on this as soon as possible.

I look forward to speaking with you Don!
Best Regards,

Marshall
Customer Success, AirMap
[email protected]
+844.4AIRMAP ext 1

As the 520 does not possess any flight restriction software why would anyone want to see the system added to AirMap? Bad enough that AirMap is grossly inaccurate with airspace dimension, altitudes, and listing many areas as restricted that are not.

As the 520 does not possess any flight restriction software why would anyone want to see the system added to AirMap? Bad enough that AirMap is grossly inaccurate with airspace dimension, altitudes, and listing many areas as restricted that are not.

I feel like this is an incredibly uninformed statement... I highly doubt the FAA would allow them to be partners in the LAANC program if their maps were "grossly inaccurate." As to why one might want to use AirMap with the H520 - you can't just fly willy nilly through restricted airspace just because there are no built in air restriction geofences. Also, LAANC, as mentioned above, using it for digital notices to ATC, publicly posting your flight for the good of the community and probably a few others. AirMap appears to be working hard to integrate drones into the national airspace. So... There it is.

Reactions: thoneter
You obviously are not a pilot as any decently trained pilot can read an aerial chart and compare it to AirMap and see hundreds of errors. Pilots tend to have a good understanding of airspace regulations which also enables their ability to quickly spot mislabeled restricted airspace that is not restricted.

AirMap is in essence an access provider for LAANC and does nothing for control or monitoring of the airspace, nor is AirMap authorized by any federal agency to control flight in any airspace. AirMap, and others, serve as an administrative assistant for the FAA in filing requests for airspace access to expedite the process, much like Flight Service had done in the past when filing an IFR or VFR flight plan. AirMap is also a company that tried to position itself to become a "fee for service" outfit had plans to privatize ATC services become part of the FAA’s reauthorization bill. Thankfully ATC privatization was removed from the bill due to lobbying by the AOPA, private pilots, and others that keep up with FAA developments.

Apparently there's something non pilots need to learn. Aerial navigation is the sole responsibility of the pilot ATC assists but only the pilot has control of the aircraft and where it goes. DJi and their associates would like people to believe otherwise, but that's not the way it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: biltno and 10-8
You obviously are not a pilot as any decently trained pilot can read an aerial chart and compare it to AirMap and see hundreds of errors. Pilots tend to have a good understanding of airspace regulations which also enables their ability to quickly spot mislabeled restricted airspace that is not restricted.

AirMap is in essence an access provider for LAANC and does nothing for control or monitoring of the airspace, nor is AirMap authorized by any federal agency to control flight in any airspace. AirMap, and others, serve as an administrative assistant for the FAA in filing requests for airspace access to expedite the process, much like Flight Service had done in the past when filing an IFR or VFR flight plan. AirMap is also a company that tried to position itself to become a "fee for service" outfit had plans to privatize ATC services become part of the FAA’s reauthorization bill. Thankfully ATC privatization was removed from the bill due to lobbying by the AOPA, private pilots, and others that keep up with FAA developments.

Apparently there's something non pilots need to learn. Aerial navigation is the sole responsibility of the pilot ATC assists but only the pilot has control of the aircraft and where it goes. DJi and their associates would like people to believe otherwise, but that's not the way it works.
As a 107 & 61 pilot my self, that was very well said Pat and right on point.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRFD8121 and biltno
Airmap is one of four companies that have passed through the technical steps designed and implemented by the FAA for LAANC. The notification and subsequent FAA authorizations are based on the FAA's UAS Facility maps. I am well aware of how to read sectional charts and I am very familiar with the local airspace where I operate. Frankly, your comments are pretty snide and childish. Why would commercial operators like myself NOT want the H520 added as an available airframe? LAANC is being implemented through companies like AirMap and that's what many of us will use for low altitude authorization and notification... as designed.

Because being listed or not does not make it an available airframe. The FAA does not have a UAS certificated airframe list as there is no federal UAS certification process at this time. There is no geo fence requirement, no GPS equipment requirement, no size requirement, no minimum equipment list, no approved flight controller list, no motor quantity or type minimum, no fuel/power level minimum. There is a LOS operational distance requirement, and VFR operational requirement, along with operator certification which establishes they are qualified to perform their own aerial navigation and understand the rules.

All AirMap can do is unlock a DJI airframe for the proposed location. Something many have found doesn’t always work. As the 520 has no factory installed NFZ’s there’s nothing for them to unlock, which they could not do even if there were. They cannot communicate with or track any Yuneec product or system without a transponder, or any other system that does not report it’s position back to the manufacturer. AirMap is not a federal ATC facility or regulatory agency, but does serve as a flight planning and airspace access facilitator. Reduced to a basic level they are a clearing house. Your aircraft does not have to be on an “approved airframe” list to obtain a clearance. Initial qualification for a LAANC filing is a commercial aircraft registration number and a 107 license. The rest is correctly completing the application filing and providing satisfactory means to satisfy any associated waiver requirements.

Bear in mind AirMap was initially started in partnership with DJI who, despite what they would like people think, don’t generate any airspace or government equipment lists. The airspace graphics AirMap generates are not legally required to be accurate.

Attachments

• uss_operating_rules.pdf
    585.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: 10-8 and biltno
As much as AirMap may not meet the individual needs of many UAV pilots, the point is that if any app or software package is going to provide a list of Yuneec airframes, they should list them all. The H520 should be listed, recognized, and included in manufactures and governmental based systems. Then, the users of these systems who are H520 users can provide specific information to better refine the product.

Keep believing that if it makes you feel better. Fact is, you can’t have a list of certified aircraft when there are zero equipment certification standards. You can make up a list to assist a particular manufacturer develop marketing demographics but that list does nothing to qualify a system for an FAA airspace access program. I’ll suggest you take some time and do some research about LAANC and learn something about it. Do some historical research on AirMap and look up the definition of “gullible” as well.

Another alternative was your reason for the initial post was an attempt to promote DJI's draconian, defective NFZ software and data collection software using AirMap along with their airspace inaccuracies as a delivery avenue. You obviously have no understanding how our FAA, airspace, LAANC, and ATC system functions but you do appear to be enamored with AirMap and a meaningless list. As it was one of your first posts the probability of that is high.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the input. I really appreciate your perspective. Is there a company or software other than AirMap you can recommend to guide me through this new LAANC process?

There is and I’ll post a link to it a bit later when I get back to my laptop. There are actually 4 companies but 2 are not yet active with the process. More are expected.

Sorry, got distracted...

LAANC Resources for Drone Operators
FAA UAS Data Exchange

Should you go there you will have to register for an account, which is accessed here: Manage Your Commercial Drone Ops - Try Skyward for Free

After completing the account sign up you will need to fill out a company/pilot/aircraft information page. On that page will be fields for your aircraft name and type, serial number, registration number, and firmware version. The aircraft(s) you enter and save will generate the aircraft drop down selection list for when you file for a waivered flight plan.

They don’t make a list, you make your own list based upon the aircraft you want in it. Making your list is a time saver for those that file multiple times with one or more aircraft.

Last edited:
Down on FAA url Link page.... the approved Service Suppliers are listed...
Skyward is very nice, the Free Acct is a bit limited in all the features and to 50 flights per month and the paid acct is a bit pricey. It does sync with some manufacture's RC logs for flight, battery stats, etc. reducing the requirement to manually enter.

Pat or others, has anyone had the opportunity to compare the services "maps" and various information accuracies of data offered to Owner/Pilot?

The 4 currently on the list are indicated... alphabetically.

FAA UAS Data Exchange
Approved LAANC UAS Service Suppliers
The following companies have completed the technical steps required and entered into agreement with the FAA to provide LAANC Services:

This list will be updated as additional partners are approved.

Note: Reference in this site to any specific commercial product, process, or service, or the use of any trade, firm or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval