Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Airplane Windshields

Reaction score
I found this to be interesting. don't think our UAV's will have much effect on them.

18920313_10155222256041977_2967156584556070077_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray Martz
Not one of the many general aviation planes I have flown have had windscreens constructed in that manner. None of them could do 300kts either.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
A simple google search and you find answers.

"
Whether it’s for a short, medium or long-haul aircraft, the range of windscreen thickness is the same. It varies between just under an inch to 1.2”. Therefore, a passenger plane windscreen is on average four times thicker than a car windscreen which is 0.23” thick. It is also much stronger.

Cockpit panes have to withstand two forces: cabin pressure and bird strikes. To gauge their strength, a slew of tests are carried out. Sylvain Mourlhon, Saint-Gobain Sully’s marketing director explains: “an aircraft windscreen has to be able to withstand a 4lb-chicken being thrown at it at more than 370 mph.”

To achieve this, windscreens are made from a type of glass designed specifically for aeronautical purposes as well as plastic. A total of six alternating layers of these two materials are required."

South West Research in San Antonio, Texas developed the "Chicken Cannon" for testing F4 Phantom cockpit windshields and the company I worked for built it for them. We were allowed to witness the first round of test against various items but not the windshields. A raw frozen chicken going fast enough will put a hole in almost anything. They used unfrozen chickens for the windshields. Maximum speed it developed was 700 ft per second.

Not one of the many general aviation planes I have flown have had windscreens constructed in that manner. None of them could do 300kts either.
All of the civilian aircraft I have flown used 1/4" acrylic or Lexan plastic. The most complicated aircraft I flew was a Baron 55. Twin engine, variable pitch props, retractable landing gear, and Turbo Charged. It did cruise at 200 Knots with no problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix