Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Airports/heliports

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a drone,but noticed on the B4UFLY app that there were tooooo many airports/heliports,and looked and saw hospital and buisness heliports would I need to call them too if I wanted to fly my drone or only the airport.

I was thinking of getting a drone,but noticed on the B4UFLY app that there were tooooo many airports/heliports,and looked and saw hospital and buisness heliports would I need to call them too if I wanted to fly my drone or only the airport.
First, what country are you in?
What is your drone?

I'm guessing you are in the US due to your choice of no fly zone app. Also look at the AirMap app.

USA AND I WANTED TO GET A MAVIC PRO
I'm in Canada, so with our rules you wouldn't be able to fly due to your age, and unless you had an SFOC ( Special Flight Operations Certificate ).

U.S. is governed by the FAA so the rules are a lot more lax than we have. The people on here from the U.S. will be able to point you in the correct direction for where you can and can't fly depending on your state, and based on city bylaws or I think they are called ordinance in the U.S.

The other thing is you should be posting in a DJI forum as this one is for Yuneec products. I think there is a sister forum for DJI pilots, just not sure of the link. But as you are going to be a DJI guy, that is where you really should be making a home.

That's all the info I have for you, but others may chime in, just keep looking back.

THANK YOU for the tip on the AirMap app, and agree much more useful than B4UFly...but since when has the govt. done anything well except waste money?
Exactly right. It appears the FAA wanted an app that discouraged anyone from flying.

In the US, if you are not flying for business (including making a few extra bucks on weekends), the rules for contacting airports and heliports don't apply to you. It is a bit of an arbitrary distinction, but, an important one.

In the US, if you are not flying for business (including making a few extra bucks on weekends), the rules for contacting airports and heliports don't apply to you. It is a bit of an arbitrary distinction, but, an important one.

Not true. If you are within 5 miles, you are required to notify before you fly, whether you are flying recreationally or commercially. The difference is how you notify. If you are flying commercially, you need to file your notice online, giving the FAA at least 90 days' notice. (You need a Part 107 certificate as well.) If you are flying recreationally, you just call the appropriate airport.

Who likely won't talk to you since the FAA instructed every ATC facility not to do so. All permissions and notifications are supposed to now be made through the FAA main office.

Last edited:
That's simply not true. My home airport's ATCT (Class C airspace) requires all recreational operators to notify the tower prior to flying within 5 miles of the airport. Each time I fly within 5 miles, I simply call the tower and give my name, real-time phone number, location (distance from tower and heading), start time, maximum altitude, and stop time. The controller records the information on a form ATCT keeps for its records. The controllers are professional, courteous, and appreciative.

You have a local facility that is conducting themselves contrary to an official notice sent to all FAA managed facilities after 107 was passed. You're lucky to have them.

This is straight from the FAA website: "Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination" (Airspace Restrictions). The page was last updated on May 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval