Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Airspace Clearance

Reaction score
I am curious to know how news media TV stations are able to fly UAVs in class B and C airspace to cover un-expected news stories such as traffic accidents etc. To my understanding you have to request, in writing, permission from the control tower and FAA for clearance to operate in the airspace, and that it can take several weeks to get a reply. The media can not possibly know several weeks ahead of time that they will need clearance for un-expected coverage. Is there a way around the policy?

May have something to do with it being the Media. Again It also may be a pilot that got the shots and sold it to them. I do not believe there is a way around that policy.

I am curious to know how news media TV stations are able to fly UAVs in class B and C airspace to cover un-expected news stories such as traffic accidents etc. To my understanding you have to request, in writing, permission from the control tower and FAA for clearance to operate in the airspace, and that it can take several weeks to get a reply. The media can not possibly know several weeks ahead of time that they will need clearance for un-expected coverage. Is there a way around the policy?

If I am not mistaken the request can be made by phone.

They are flying Illegally unless they hold a Waiver or Authorization from the FAA.

Phone requests are for hobbyists......... or 107 Authorization holders that call the Control Tower before they fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33